Trying to decide style and color of couches that will face each other
thelandfam
In our Great Room, we are trying to decide on style and color of couches that will face each other. We have small children and need to be smart about stains. Thinking navy or gray. Please help! Time is of the essence as well, as we'd like the room to be complete for our NYE dinner.
dclostboy
Chesterfields in linen or distressed brown leather...given puppy / baby, I recommend against the linen :)
November 11, 2013 at 2:22pm   
I would go with two simple sofas. Do you like nailhead trim? Maybe like this in navy. Gray might be a bit drab.

November 11, 2013 at 2:29pm     
motownmom
Depending on your budget, if you want 2 sofas I would recommend the Ektorp line from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99875851/. How quickly you get them depends on where you live and what you want. They will deliver from the store (quicker) or online (longer time).

They have fabric slip covers that come off and can be washed in a standard washing machine (my machine is 26 years old and I washed it in there, LOL) which makes them great with kids. They come in multiple colors and one or two prints. They also have multiple additional parts that compliment the main sofas. I love our sofa, it is more comfortable than the Lazy Boy sofa we spent a lot more money on.
November 11, 2013 at 2:37pm     
asongforxx
Buy two large, but tailored (not puffy/bulky) sofas in any neutral color you like, then get white slip covers for them. The slip covers can be washed easily in the event of a spill or stain, the white would look clean and crisp, and you could always buy new slip covers or throw pillows to change up the look without having to buy new sofas.

I was also thinking of the fact that white is great for holiday decorating, and I'm already picturing how nice your great room would look swathed in white linens and fresh Christmas greens.
November 11, 2013 at 2:47pm   
Monica Ellison
My recommendation would be a brown leather chesterfield sofa. It is classic and still looks good as time goes on. I would not do fabric especially a dark fabric with a dog.

[houzz=The Sierra Showhome (Calgary, Alberta)]
[houzz=Chesterfield Leather Sofa]
November 11, 2013 at 2:50pm     
joverstreet21
Navy leather would be fabulous. Leather is incredibly durable, easy to clean and care for (mine has survived three raucous pups). Go for classic lines - nothing fru-fru. With your current color palette, the navy acts as another neutral, but less boring than gray! Use pillows and accessories for pops of color.
November 11, 2013 at 3:05pm     
Belle Chaise
There are lots of great indoor/outdoor fabrics these days that are great to be used with kids
November 11, 2013 at 3:10pm   
2dogssashatess
Leather can get scratched by kids, dogs etc. If going for fabric be sure to get removable covers. You already have a lot of grey going on, so I wouldn't get a grey couch. I personally find chesterfields not that comfortable to sit on, I find the backs are too low. What accent color do you plan to use? With grey you could have e.g. yellow, orange
November 11, 2013 at 3:25pm   
Terri Huck
100 hands down....Go leather....good leather, absolutely do not buy bonded leather....go with Italian leather. Most traditional leather comes from the hide of a cow, but Italian leather is often made from the hide of ostriches instead. Ostrich leather is thicker and more durable than traditional leather. Leather made from ostrich hide also has larger bumps on the surface, creating a "goosebump" appearance. Products made from cow, lamb, or other types of animals may also be considered Italian leather, however, if they are produced in that country.

Leather from Italy is also traditionally known for the quality of its craftsmanship. Generally, it is "full grain" leather, which is made from the very best raw hides, so that they do not need to be sanded to get rid of imperfections. Full-grain leather is tougher and more durable than other types of leather, and as it ages, it gains a beautiful sheen. LOVE the rug!!
November 11, 2013 at 4:21pm     
dclostboy
Coffee table like this from cb2
November 11, 2013 at 5:56pm     
blaze777
Hello Margo. Any suggestion on how I can spice up family room?
November 12, 2013 at 6:33am     
Hiblaze777- post a dilemma. If I miss it let me know it is out there. I am sure I/we can give you some suggestions as long as we know what you are wanting, so if you post a new dilemma please try to be detailed;) we love this stuff you know;))
November 12, 2013 at 6:53am     
blaze777
Margo, thank you . Yes I have a dilemma on here.
November 12, 2013 at 9:42am     
Remote Stylist
We can help via remotestylist.com - lots of options but so need answers first

1. What size is that rug
2. what do cofee and end tables look liek- i see them off to side
3. what else is in this room (shoot more pics so we see other views)
4. where are you (Zip fine)
5. what's your budget -sofa's come in all price ranges!
6. do you have any particular style in mind

if email easier kelly@remotestylist.com
November 19, 2013 at 12:53am   
Paris Flea
Off white leather - easy to clean and will make the room look larger and it will go with the rug you have.
November 19, 2013 at 5:26pm   
Sustainable Dwellings
Leather is wonderful.
November 19, 2013 at 5:44pm     
chookchook2
18th century style, but not too curly and not patterned. There is too much pattern already between the windows, stones and rug. Wingback chairs.
November 19, 2013 at 5:54pm