lydia_
Any Ideas On how to change it up?
Windsor Decorating and Design
Hi Lydia_

Your cupboards look like they're in great shape! It's just some of the colours that are giving it a more dated feel.

I'd suggest changing out the wall colour to a light grey such as Pebble Beach by Benjamin Moore (see pic attached).

Then swap your vertical blinds for patterned drapes. Try to tie in the grey and a version taupe to tie in your countertops. I've attached a great print from fabric.com item number UE-669 ($7.49/yard).

I'd add a mosaic backsplash that also ties in the floor, countertop and wall colours such as the tile from Lowes that I've attached by GBI Tile and Stone Inc.

Remove the large dark cabinet on the back wall to another room - it feels to heavy. If it must stay, I'd suggest having it sprayed to match the cabinets so it feels like it's built-in, taking everything from the top off of the cabinet (it'll make the room feel taller), and scaling down on how much stuff is in the cabinet.

The table is a cute shape, but he wood top and seats feel a bit dated. If you painted that out in a Dark Grey it would modernize it inexpensively. If you're feeling bold, the chairs could be painted either a Baby Yellow, a Pinkish red, or a Robin's Egg blue to give a fantastic pop of colour!

Art is very subjective, so I would pick a print that is taller and larger than the one that you have above the table with a very interesting graphic.

Above the sink, remove the border carefully to instantly update the cabinets, and if it's in the budget, update the range hood as well.

Above the sink I'd use a collection of plates or the like for artwork. I've attached a picture of some fantastic ones from etsy. If you painted the chairs a colour, tie in that colour to this collection as well. The beautiful ethnic plates can be found here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/89686646/ethnic-inspired-patterned-plate-by

Best of luck to you!
0 Likes   January 8, 2012 at 2:19PM
lydia_
Heather, I don't just love what you suggested, I have to do what you suggested! Thank you so much! 100 % FANTASTIC!!!
0 Likes   January 8, 2012 at 3:02PM
Windsor Decorating and Design
I'm so happy you liked it!!! You could probably do the entire project in a weekend and everything that I chose for you is very cost effective!

Happy Decorating! :)
0 Likes   January 8, 2012 at 3:05PM
lydia_
What about my living room LOL...Thoughts on that one:) I just bought the rug, but am clueless for how to handle window treatments. And the fireplace needs major help.
0 Likes   January 8, 2012 at 3:13PM
lydia_
Hi Heather, What about my living room LOL...Thoughts on that one:) I just bought the rug, but am clueless for how to handle window treatments. And the fireplace needs major help.
0 Likes   January 8, 2012 at 3:21PM
Windsor Decorating and Design
Hey Lydia - I love your rug! I've answered that post on your living room questions with some suggestions and lots of links!

I like the white painted brick on the fireplace it gives the room warmth!
0 Likes   January 8, 2012 at 4:07PM
lydia_
After 13 years of marriage we are finally changing things up! LOL...Thank you!
0 Likes   January 8, 2012 at 4:10PM
Minimal clearance around a bed
My new bedroom is a generous 10' x 10' (yes, there...
melyndas
Westward Group climate change - Stotte miljoet eller amerikanske milit
Tenk deg for eksempel, den amerikanske militaere Asia...
Westward Group Alternative Energy
Grey to date ???
Thinking of going for greys in my kitchen. But scared...
Michelle Roe
Grout color?
What color grout?
slsslssls
Beautiful view, what window covers?
I have a full wall of windows looking at our lake....
dierbeckc