Show us your Pantry!

Emily HurleyNovember 12, 2013
Are you super organized, with everything in it's place or is your pantry a little more on the wild side? Let's see it and get inspired!

Tell us about it! (Photos encouraged)

mousemaker
are you serious? :) omg!!
    Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 1:45PM
Yours could never be more of a mess than mine. I'm just saying. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:02PM
mousemaker
I don't really have an actual pantry. I have some shelving in the basement where I keep the food I canned (or rather, jarred :)) and I use one of the hall closets for canned food and other dry goods. It's great in the summer with all the doors open, but in winter we close off the hallway to keep more heat in and it's a pain in the butt to open and close doors every time you want a bowl of cereal :) It was supposed to be all pantry in the hallway when we redid the kitchen, but alas :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 12, 2013 at 2:06PM
eileenscott
Our kitchen pantry was definitely an after thought by the builder. Built on a short angled wall approximately 22 inches wide, the shelves are triangles and wire grated. Small items fall through and larger items take up an entire shelf! So much for organization!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 12, 2013 at 2:27PM
dulcimerplayer
Funny you should ask. For years my "pantry" had been everything wedged into a shallow hall closet, with the bigger stuff (boxes of cereal, bags of flour, etc.) out in the garage. Most cookware, except for daily use pots & pans, was in the garage too. Then we replaced our old forced air heater & put it up in the attic crawl-space. Which freed up a 3-foot square closet. A little drywall repair, a little paint, and some amazing shelving from elfa, and I now have a walk-in (more a reach-in) pantry, and the old pantry is now the cookware rescued from the garage. Just look!
23 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 12, 2013 at 6:20PM
chookchook2
Shelves in laundry,not pantry. I wish.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 12, 2013 at 7:24PM
Barnhart Gallery
As usual, I buck the trend. I took mine out so as not to have to go to another room for ingredients I prefer to have on hand in my now larger kitchen.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 12, 2013 at 10:11PM
kimdee24
@dulcimerplayer - this is awesome! Just today I was rearranging my spices and wishing for a solution/addition to what's already installed in my pantry. I'm ordering that spice rack component tomorrow!! Where did you get the matching spice bottles?
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 12, 2013 at 11:05PM
dulcimerplayer
Penzey's Spices. I buy all my spices from them too. Best quality, better prices than grocery stores
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 12, 2013 at 11:47PM
California Closets
I love working on pantries.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 13, 2013 at 9:49AM
suzmaine09
trend or not, am in process of installing long-awaited kitchen pantry. am THRILLED over having all my cooking/preserving/baking needs in one area - wine rack included!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 13, 2013 at 9:50AM
California Closets
A couple more.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 13, 2013 at 9:51AM
lejake
Yes, please. I am that rare one with the all the right spaces & no $$$ to do CA Closets. But I love the look. Maybe you need a house to 'practice' on?!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 8:44AM
California Closets
We do design to your budget. The in home consultation is free! Invite a designer over to see what we can do. There are never hard feelings if things don't work out.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 11:37AM
stephmal
Just recently did a pantry re-org thanks to Houzz. Still need to paint.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 1:01PM
yoboseiyo
what pantry?
i WISH.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 1:11PM
studio3600
Just organized it a few weeks ago!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 1:27PM
So envious of all that storage space!!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 9:44AM
Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
@dulcimerplayer What is the width of your door? Would like to do that with mine and wondering if your door is a little wider than mine.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 15, 2013 at 7:55PM
dulcimerplayer
The pantry is really a tiny space -- the former heater closet. Doorway is only 27-1/2 inches wide, and the whole closet is only 33 inches wide and 36 inches deep. We put 18-inch deep shelves across the back, and 9-inch wide shelves along the right-hand (door hinge) wall. The left wall was going to be dead space until my son suggested hanging narrow baskets for spices on it. Makes the whole pantry work better.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 15, 2013 at 8:52PM
That's a nice use of a small space.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 8:54AM
chrisinky
I have never had a pantry, but I am putting one in on the house we are remodeling. We are building a corner pantry in an awkward corner where the previous cabinets just ended. We are putting in new cabinets and building the corner cabinet ourselves, with help from some friends. I got the idea from a picture I saw on Houzz (attached). Mine will not be this fancy, but I am so glad I saw this picture. I would have never thought of a corner pantry without it. Mine will also be smaller. The door will only be 18 inches wide. To the right of where the pantry will be we took out most of the wall. We left enough wall to do the pantry, then beside it will be a peninsula bar between the kitchen and living room. This is the thing I am most excited about in the new house!

Does anyone else have a corner pantry? I would love to see pictures of another one because I am kinda winging how to make this work. I have searched for more pictures, but this is the only one I can find anywhere.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 9:55AM
Virtus Design
This are some organized pantries!
    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 10:00AM
kellynoreen
I have a corner pantry and I love it. Mine is very similar
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 8:45PM
halleycomet
We have a Black Hole that is claiming to be a "Pantry".

Somehow I suspect it is an alien in my kitchen.

Might have been meant for a--broom closet? Never had any shelves or hooks or--anything. When we bought the house there was an OLD metal cabinet minus it's door in there---that had shelves covered in dubious substances and fake wood Contac paper--all were bent. There WAS a space on the side where you could cram a broom and a mop IF you could get them to STAY in there---they didn't much LIKE it and were always trying to run away.

We added metal shelf guides on the sides and wooden shelving--but it is so deep things get instantly lost back there. And adding bins seemed only to make the problem WORSE as stuff gets crammed in on top of the stuff IN the bins---ugh. Can't see a thing and has bi-fold doors---if it did not half the kitchen would be unable to be used if the door was open!

Other wise we have a metal utility shelf in the back hallway for packaged foods; and we have odd wooden shelves that rise above a "half wall" that is the partition between our basement staircase and the hall ceiling---we tend to put cans and small boxes there. With 7 people here this is a HUGE issue. I am thinking of ripping the "paneling" down on that staircase and putting in shelves for more storage. We have NO drawers and the cabinets are too narrow for cookware for the most part!

Re-working this now with a moveable island and pot racks etc. And it's not like this house is ancient either--built in the 70's. Just--badly laid out and cheaply done. One ceiling light fixture that drives me bonkers as it is over the fridge and no where NEAR the center of the ceiling! Popcorn ceiling that sucks light. Sheet vinyl floor that will not die! Ugly floor contest anyone?????

Well these sort of pics are Pantry Porn for me.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 9:54PM
Ashleigh Payne
I have a corner pantry. My only gripe is that all the shelves are supported in the center by the beam at the front. This makes storing in the corner of each shelf very difficult.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:56AM
Doug Denny
Love organization, EVERYWHERE!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 4:39AM
Sigrid
I note all the neatniks have proudly posted. The rest of us figure no one wants to see our pantries. And no, I don't want to make some disorganized slob feel good because her pantry isn't as big a disaster as mine.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 5:17AM
printesa
I have a pretty large pantry with shelving, but photos are not to be taken today:) It's a chaos right now,,,I'm trying to find some time to have it cleaned and organized..should be soon:)

@chrisinky, my mom has a corner pantry like the one you have in the picture. The only different thing is the door. She has a white trimmed door with frosted glass. It looks nice.
    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 5:27AM
chookchook2
Sigrid, nobodies going to see my panties, whoops pantries.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 5:31AM
Sarah Daily
Ha, just gave ours a sprucing yesterday!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151935567750415&l=ab9c3f1c0e
    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 5:51AM
chrisinky
Thanks Ashleigh for posting the picture of your corner pantry. I had an idea in my mind what the shelves might be like, but your picture helps. Mine will be MUCH smaller than the picture I posted above & not symmetrical. The picture just gave me the idea.

I'm posting a picture of the area it will go in. We installed most of the cabinets last night, but I forgot to take a picture afterwards. This picture is when I just had them sitting in place. The pantry will be in the corner where the big yellow dust wand is sitting. The box to the right is where I will put a small bar. The box was just my temporary place holder. I'm actually going to use a cabinet just like the one on the left. I am going to put the one door upper cabinet just like it is in the picture, but on a base to make it the same height. (We bought the cabinets at a builders auction & are just fitting them to our space.) The bar will be moved more towards the living room to make the space for the pantry a little easier to get to. (Please excuse the toilet in the living room-its no longer there!) The blue tape on the floor is 18 inches which is the size the door will be & where it will be placed, I think.

After we got the cabinets in last night, my husband tried to talk me into just a cupboard style pantry (sans corner shaped). Basically he just wants to make a floor to ceiling cabinet. I have been excited about this since I had the idea, so I'm not backing down. Losing the shape would cause me to lose what I wanted it for most which is to keep my kitchen floor clear of things like small coolers, large paper towel packages, etc that always end up there. I plan to keep those things on the floor of the pantry under the bottom shelf.

If you have any suggestions or experience with something like this, please share.....
    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 6:37AM
Emily, LOL! I did a double take...thought I was supposed to show something else! : > )
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 6:40AM
ginale
Our builder made a pantry that allowed us to use our small appliances and keep them out of sight. Love it!
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:24PM
chookchook2
Lol, iamjudy!
    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:31PM
chookchook2
Happy New Year
    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:32PM
Snaggy
I dream of a pantry !
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:21PM
lucindalane
Hee, hee. Granny Panties!! And I do mean granny panties, because those were the only kind my grandmother would wear.
As for the pantry situation, we actually do have a pretty big walk in one-but its not ready for prime time, at the moment. However, that is actually one of my objectives this year. I have mentioned on other threads that I just moved out of my own house, so a big clean up/throw away/put away project for this now, brand new year.
    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:49PM
okdokegal
Halleycomet, I laughed so hard....

Well mine isn't viewable yet. I carved one out and also have my W/D in there and have the electrical box in there too; but. From the master bath you can toss laundry into a couple of hampers next to the W/D and on the other side I will have shelves that are not going to collapse or be homes for brown widows (I have all three nastys as house spiders, brown recluse, brown and black widows. I manage them but you do look before you grab especially in what used to be the old pantry closet (aka black hole, jr.) that the luan plywood with quarter round edges that was supposed to be shelves, collapsed) I am also still deciding on a small passthrough hole so I can get something out of the pantry and set it through onto the kitchen counter on the other side without having to carry it. More on that later. I am adding LED light strips so I can have 'see in the corners' lighting on the shelves....
    Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 1:57AM
lucindalane
The W/D is also in our pantry.
    Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 10:38AM
joannecampbell
I love my pantry! Pictures just do not do it justice.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 11:51PM
momuv5
We are remodeling our kitchen and will have a walk in pantry, finally! But I am wondering whether it would be nice to have a pantry cabinet as well to access canned goods and cereal, etc easier. someone suggested it and now I'm curious if I will regret having to go into another room to get all of my food? Suggestions?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 12, 2014 at 8:46AM
Pantry
Beautiful Job! I'd love to see some more pictures...
rauliw
Foyer / Pantry Dilema
Hello, I'm currently in the process of building my...
tomkonian
Advice on swapping refrigerator and pantry
We are planning to renovate our kitchen and a friend...
dmheim
Need help with finding a solution to hide pantry, washer/dryer.
We just demoed our pantry, utility, washer dryer area...
Larisa Stow
HELP-something is off in my living room and i don't know what it is
I need help in reviving my living room. i've tried...
pontes_mari
Living room Dilemma. Help, please!
Looking for ideas and suggestions of how to decorate...
Emily Detmon
Dark and lonely living room
I need help adding some color to my living room!
starfirevee
Floor tile for Master Bath
We have chosen "Vintage" Delicatus Cream...
larrysabo
Advice on bedroom color decorating ideas
Painting my bedroom a dark "warm" grey accent...
cats9024