Need help with Window Treatments
doubleocean
I am strugling with window treatments for this room. Winter is approaching and there is a strong draft coming from this room. I would like to add a curtain for the sliding door that is insulated along with something that is also insulated for the window. I wasn't sure if I should to a curtain for the sliding doors and then wooden blinds for the window. I am really at a loss. I have honeycomb blinds in the bedrooms and I do like the way they look, but I didn't want to copy the same design for every room. Please help! Below is the curtain I was thinking about purchasing. I do like the contemporary look.
http://www.countrycurtains.com/product/010772739a+insulated+weaver%27s+cloth+pinch+pleat+slider+panel.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search
R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
First of all check the alignment on the patio door. Those sometimes can be adjusted for a better fit and the cold air draft will stop. For more warmth you may want to add blinds to the patio door as well. How old is the house?? Are the windows and doors still under warranty?? Some window manufacturers will void your warranty if you install blinds because this will cause the windows and doors to sweat behind the blinds on very cold nights.
   November 12, 2013 at 5:33PM
libratravel
What a beautiful space. I think you're on the right track!I like those curtains in the more "natural" fabric..just to add some visual warmth to the space. Woven roman would add nice texture and warmth to the windows. Do you have enough depth for an inside mount? Bed Bath and Beyond have some nice, affordable cordless options. Keep us posted. I also love the idea of a patterned, fabric roman shade if you want to add some color.
   Thanked by doubleocean    November 12, 2013 at 5:39PM
fos5
I would install lined draperies on wooden rods that can open and close (for the cool days). You have two different window heights, to errase that feature, hang at the same height. Extend the rod enough for a drapery stack back and easy opening of the patio door. Nice room.
   Thanked by doubleocean    November 12, 2013 at 5:47PM
doubleocean
Thanks fos5 for your advise to hang the window curtains at the same height. I hadn't even thought about that. So glad u mentioned it. Can u send me a link of what kind of wooden rods u suggest? also should they both be the same material and design?
   November 12, 2013 at 5:54PM
fos5
Got to any store or Home Depot that sell wood or metal curtain rods and choose the one you feel will go the best with your room. Round rings come with the rods although some times you have to purchase them separately. If the drapes are pinch pleated the hardware on the drapes hook into the small eye on the ring, if n=drapes are not pinch pleated but the rings that will clamp on the drapes and cause it to looked pleated when open or closed, The secret is nice full width drapes. YES both the same material and design.
   November 12, 2013 at 6:02PM
JMittman Designs
The curtain you linked to is a bit deceiving for your needs. Your slider is most likely 72 or 84 inches wide? That distance is much too great to not have a center support for your curtains--especially functioning ones. I would hesitate to put any rod up there without a center support except MAYBE for a solid wrought iron rod. An inexpensive wood rod will eventually sag over that distance. Also, how much view do you want from your windows? Notice how much that panel covers the glass. Your rod would need to be even wider if you wanted more glass/light to show. I would consider a decorative traversing rod anyway for daily opening and shutting. Rods with rings are more for stationary purposes--rings don't always slide well on wood rods.

I do agree with the installing of rods at equal heights.
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 6:25AM
fos5
The best way is to hire a professonal drapery company that also installs. They will have many fabrics and hardware for you to choose from with knowledgeable reccommendations and come to your home with samples for you to choose from plus most of these companies guaruntee their workmansip and product.
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 7:08AM
doubleocean
Is there a company u recommend? Perhaps a franchise? What do I search under for a local vendor? Other than ordering blinds from select blinds and buying curtains from pottery barn I'm pretty clueless about window treatments.
   November 14, 2013 at 5:10AM
fos5
I don't know where you live so go on line to Decorating Den, they have franchises all over the place. Also search your area for custom draperies. Many times this is the most economical in the end. It will be hard to purchase lined drapes the right length (right to the floor) off the rack. It is also difficult to install rods (so they don't fall down), are even and the right length.
1 Like   November 14, 2013 at 5:48AM
doubleocean
Oh my! There's one 20 minutes from me. I'm calling today. Thank u so much for your help and guidance.
   November 14, 2013 at 6:28AM
JMittman Designs
Look for a Pro in your area right here on Houzz!
   November 14, 2013 at 6:54AM
fos5
doubleocean; Your Welcome
   November 14, 2013 at 7:12AM
DeCocco Drapes
So many great suggestions! Isn't Houzz just the best? Can I pipe in that we sell beautiful custom drapery panels right on our website? With custom curtains, your windows will say "Wow!"
   November 15, 2013 at 9:38AM
Need help! Lots of windows and need help with window treatments
Sorry about the lack of pictures... But, this is my...
Need help with window treatment ideas for lv rm window seat window
Hi, I am trying to give my living room a more polished,...
Need help for window treatment for 2.5 metre by .5 metre window
Please advise me on how to treat a wide, high window...
SD- Bow window.Need window treatment help
Have a bow window made up of five- 19" windows that...
Need help with window treatment for a bay window.
This is the window of my formal living room. My furniture...
My living room
We recently painted our living room gray to match the...
Do I need a Pantry Cabinet for resale?
Purchased a 3 BR 2 B coach home condo in Naples, FL....
Need help with the center island countertop
I have emrald green (blackish green) granite countertop...
flooring for kitchen
We are trying to decide about the flooring for our...
Help Decorating Doctor's Office
A friend of mine recently got his own office and asked...