Laundry room wall suggestions please....
ReMax - Lisa
I have this large wall in my laundry/mud room and want to wallpaper it. I have purchased a plain white beadboard wallpaper, but haven't committed yet, as I'm wondering if it may be too boring? I like the idea of the beadboard paper as it is very washable, and I tend to get splashy at the sink. Would love some of your suggestions before I commit. Tile backsplash isn't gonna fly - hubby doesn't think it warrants the cost and time involved after our big reno last year. White cabinets, titanium coloured appliances, charcoal counter top. The room is right off the kitchen and is quite bright, although the pics don't show that. Has a window and door to outside, and a large white pantry cupboard on wall opposite to the appliances.
happyasaclam
I like the idea of the beadboard wallpaper on the lower part of the wall. Were you going to take it all the way to the ceiling?
0 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 9:37AM
smileyface2013
If tile fits in the budget, I would tile it.
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 10:12AM
vkilpatrick
Check out some of the peel and stick mosaics at home depot-you'll be amazed. I've used them, they are truly idiot proof and they have some stainless steel peel and sticks that would be gorgeous with your appliances. Maybe a couple of floating shelves on top.
0 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 11:16AM
happyasaclam
How about the beadboard that you can get at Lowes or HD? It either comes in full sheets or half sheets. It's not the real thing, but it looks pretty close! You could paint that or just put some poly on it and keep it natural. Then wallpaper above it and add painted trim. If wallpaper won't stand up to the splashing water, you could paint and stencil for a tile effect.
5 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 11:17AM
ReMax - Lisa
Thanks for the great suggestions! Tiling isn't in the plans, not due to budget but due to the fact that my hubby is worn out! I brought home some of of the peel and stick metallic tiles and I liked them but hubby thought they were too heavy looking. I think I will try the wallpaper for now, and paint it to seal, and if we change our minds in a year or two, he can tile then. The beadboard wallpaper will go to the ceiling on the whole wall. Was looking for an idea if I should go with a more patterned wallpaper though for more interest?
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 11:26AM
Venetian Wall Design
I would not recommend wall paper, since, with time will probably peel off ones water and humidity from the dryer and the sinks start to fall upon … I do wall textures with venetian plaster , so go figure , i would recommend something like this , since it's also durable and has anti mold-mildow properties. www.venetianwalldesign.com
6 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 11:27AM
Venetian Wall Design
I would use white or a lightly silver finish, since your laundry machines are stainless steel the wall texture will complement, and add a touch of nature maybe a bamboo plant in a corner, since metal and grey tend to be too cold.. www.venetianwalldesign.com
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 11:29AM
vkilpatrick
How about a subtle, tone on tone paint treatment or stencil? Pick one color up or down on the paint chip and buy a beautiful stencil. Some of the stencils today are really stunning--not at all like the ivy vine fiascos of the 80's!!
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 11:31AM
Cathy Goodman
For my money, I would paint it a pretty color, maybe tying it into kitchen decor then put up a cute stencil saying something like "Wash, Dry, Fold....Repeat" or "Loads of Fun" or even "When I said 'I do', I didn't mean Laundry"... ;o)
8 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 11:34AM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Wallpaper - so many different patterns, styles and colors - easy peel and stick no paste, with vinyl heavy duty paper to stand up to water splatter.
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 3:49PM
Venetian Wall Design
It won't cost much to do just the laundry room with Venetian plaster, all though I most say I agree to just painted , unless you want something special that would last a lifetime
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 4:23PM
jaidjaiden
You should get a backsplash perfect solution
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 4:26PM
Denita
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 6:27PM
ReMax - Lisa
Love the 3D panels - are they easy to install? Meaning, can I do myself with limited power tools? If not, I'll likely go with a waterproof wallpaper. I can easily return the beadboard wallpaper. Tiles are my preference, but hubby not on board just now.
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 7:24PM
msconk
How about painting a pattern on the wall? Maybe using colors from kitchen - stripes?
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 13, 2013 at 7:38PM
Denita
I don't personally know about the installation of the 3D panels. Hopefully someone will jump in that has installed them DIY. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 3:48AM
Sharon
I would skip the wallpaper and stencil the area. It's best value for money, can be done easily, will have big impact and can be changed easily when you tire of it.
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 4:21AM
Glass Tile Store
How about put some bubble circles tile backsplash like this
3 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 4:36AM
mamadubbs
I think the bead board wallpaper would look really nice with your cabinets. I just put some up in my guest room and I love it! My hubby was skeptical but once it was up he couldn't believe how good it looked.

I am adding a shelf to the top of mine which isn't finished yet.

If you go another direction - I would be bold with some color! You could even paint the bead board a color as well. Good luck!
2 Likes   November 14, 2013 at 5:45AM
Marilyn Wilkie
I really feel that you need some color in that room and that maybe wall paper would not be a good idea because of the humidity problem. Tile is ideal, but since your husband nixed that I guess you need to consider other options. Have you considered a storage unit between your washer and dryer? http://www.taylorgifts.com/item/wicker_between_washer_dryer_drawers/24415
4 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 5:56AM
tennisanyone
Painting it a nice color would bring some life to it. If it is off your kitchen, like mine is, I carried the color from the kitchen into my laundry room just a shade lighter on the chart.
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 6:13AM
Deenleny Parrish
Why not something as simple as a nice big laundry related painting? I put a wire shelf over mine & the detergent, softener sheet & bleach have their own home. Plus, when I get the large bottle of detergent with the push button spout I lay it on it's side & just push the button & voile', it just runs right down into the washing machine, no heavy lifting required!
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 7:49AM
bschr
You have a lovely laundry room. It's quite similar to my own. I think you need some colour on the wall even if it's as uneventful as a bright and bold one. Also I would remove the unsightly tags on the appliance cords.
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 8:35AM
happyasaclam
Lisa, go to Cutting Edge Stencils. I'm thinking about using the ginko stencil in my dining room. It is too large to use in your laundry room, however they have lots of stencils -too- many to describe!
3 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 8:42AM
gypsyrose17
After we were grown and all out of the house, my mom had an old black and white photo of us eight kids blown up to about 11 x 17 and laminated and put it on the wall behind her washer and dryer .... we were young, little stepping stones, I'd say probably 6 months to 10 years) all dirty after making mud pies with big grins.
9 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 12:13PM
terrybaty
I think a laundry room is a room to have fun with. Paint it two of your favorite colors and put up a chair rail. Stick fun photos or postcards in behind chair rail. Doing laundry will make you smile.....
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 12:21PM
ReMax - Lisa
@gypsyrose - what a great picture, I can envision it! Your mom must have smiled every time she went in the room. I have a small framed cartoon print that I love, hanging in my laundry roo. Its a Far Side comic of a dog luring the cat into the dryer with a bowl of Cat 'Fud". Reminds me of our last dog, a real trouble maker.

@bschr, thanks for the reminder about the tags, never even noticed them til now when I look at the pics! They are gone now...

Thanks fo you all for so many great ideas. Now to sit down and do some research. When I hear everyone talk about stencils, I have to open my mind from the 1980's ivy stuff. I know there are so many new fun ones out there. I'm toying with just some fun coloured bubble circles in the open area. And I had seen a word stencil that I liked a while ago, but when tried to order it, they didn't deliver to Canada. They may now, seems other companies are managing. Problem is finding it again
1 Like   November 14, 2013 at 12:23PM
terrybaty
photos behind chair rail
0 Likes   November 14, 2013 at 12:30PM
Susan Jacobs
Any reason you aren't painting? A little color would add a lot. Anyway, I would add a sturdy floating shelf or a really large framed chalkboard or (fabric) bulletin board. And a fabulous colorful rag rug.
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 12:53PM
ReMax - Lisa
Yes, if I dont' wallpaper, I will paint - walls are Edgecombe grey now, but will do that centre area in a bright colour I think, maybe with a word art stencil. I dont' want a shelf there, as I use that rod to hang clothes often.I have loads of cupboards to hold everything anyway.

Suggestions on paint colour? Tiles are neutral - Grey/beige and everthing else very neutral.
0 Likes   November 14, 2013 at 1:01PM
Susan Jacobs
Wow! Anything is possible if everything else is neutral. How do you want it to feel in there? Cozy? airy? cheerful? relaxing? bold? subdued?
3 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 1:09PM
Cathy Goodman
I'm on an aqua kick...
3 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 1:10PM
happyasaclam
My den is painted Edgecomb and I have a rug that has burgandys, olive greens and golds in it. Those are the colors I plan to use in decorating the rest of the room. The lighter olives or golds might be what you are looking for. The burgandys might be kind of shocking unless you plan to use them in small doses! lol.
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 1:15PM
ReMax - Lisa
Yes - I was thinking light and airy, light blue to turquoise - with some polkadot decals that look like bubbles (soap bubbles...)
6 Likes   November 14, 2013 at 1:15PM
Cathy Goodman
@ReMax - Lisa - Polkadot decals! What a cute idea...
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 1:18PM
happyasaclam
Edgecomb leans a little more to the green side than other grays. I also used Revere Pewter in my kitchen and blues and purples look better with the RP.
Susan Jacobs
I am so with you! Too many great aqua blues. BM Palladian Blue is a great place to start...
doctor panieh
where is my great idea?
0 Likes   November 14, 2013 at 4:15PM
doctor panieh
pls don't forget to stack in a small fridge... nothing better than a chilled glass of white beer while sorting the laundry!
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 4:17PM
doctor panieh
the alucobond is the most terrible idea. the worst is wallpaper for obvious reasons....even tho its not true humidity blah blah.. . use paint or tile. simple
0 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 14, 2013 at 4:19PM
ReMax - Lisa
So have ordered the fun bubble decals, and they are already being shipped. Will post pics when done. Thanks all for your great suggestions!
5 Likes   November 14, 2013 at 5:48PM
doctor panieh
sweet idea, remax. congrats. cant wait to see it..but pls don't forget my refridgerator...u wont regret it!
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 16, 2013 at 4:24PM
msconk
I am thinking of fun bubble decals for my laundry room also.
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 16, 2013 at 6:50PM
pwwascom
What about spray painting it with chalk board paint with a frame around it?
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 19, 2013 at 5:16PM
beetajane
I put a shelf across the back of my washer and dryer so things won't fall behind them and be lost forever. You could then put some matching (same sizes) rectangular baskets across to stash loose stuff you'd like easier access to.
0 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 21, 2013 at 1:12PM
Genevieve
Bead boarding will give it a country feel and with your modern washer and drier I really think that you shouldn't go that way ,also the rod above the 2 appliances must be removed,the steam from the washer will keep the shirts or whatever you will hang there sort of moist and have a damp feel when worn. . My choice would be to have an skinny cabinet made or purchased placed in between the 2 to fill the gap you could use it to keep your dryer sheets, clothes pins and even an iron . For the wall I would look for a modern look wallpaper foiled if possible to have the appliances in a modern decor would be my idea .

2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 21, 2013 at 1:53PM
Paris Flea
The washer and dryer are to far apart from each other and the hanging pole is cockeyed. Wall paper will not stay on the wall due to the humidity from the dryer.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 6:58AM
dclostboy
A stencil can be dramatically impactful
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 24, 2013 at 7:02AM
happyasaclam
She's ordered bubble decals and has promised to show us when she is done :) .
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 24, 2013 at 8:05AM
Mercedes
Vinyl lettering or some other type of wall decal would be super easy and add some interest to the space.
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 24, 2013 at 8:22AM
ReMax - Lisa
Thanks so much to all of you for the excellent ideas. This site is so wonderful! Here it is all done for now.... til I get bored. When I do, I will try a sophisticated wallpaper, but for now this is fun and makes me happy. Will also be on the lookout for a narrow white insert to go between the washer/dryer, as this basket isn't tall enough, even though I quite like it. The paint looks a little washed out in the photos but is very nice - its BM Gossamer Blue
4 Likes   November 27, 2013 at 7:42AM
Denita
Very nice!
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 27, 2013 at 7:44AM
kimdee24
Looks great, Lisa! I love the decals, they look like bubbles. It's awesome!
1 Like   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 27, 2013 at 7:47AM
ReMax - Lisa
Thanks - I feel like I need you all for every decorating decision now! Its way more fun with so many people helping out!
2 Likes   November 27, 2013 at 7:48AM
kristylou
what a difference one wall of paint can make WOW!
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 27, 2013 at 7:49AM
happyasaclam
I don't think I've ever seen anything more cute than that! Your choice of paint was perfect and the bubbles are great! Congrats!
2 Likes   Thanked by ReMax - Lisa    November 27, 2013 at 8:10AM
beetajane
Very cute and original. I still would like to hide the electrical outlet...a personal source of angst. A shelf would do that. Will try to post a picture.
0 Likes   November 27, 2013 at 9:27AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Illuminated color glass panel or tiles....
0 Likes   November 27, 2013 at 9:31AM
Eric Simms
I'm not in favor of wallpaper due to its permanence. It's easy to repaint an area, but removing wallpaper and restoring the wall to a pristine state is a serious undertaking.
0 Likes   November 27, 2013 at 11:00AM
Nancy Lamb
It looks fantastic, Lisa! It is surprising how much of an impact just paint and decals can make. Imagine it most make you smile just doing laundry in that room. Question about your cabinets - did you add them yourself or were they builder installed? I love the look and am interested in doing something similar to yours.
2 Likes   November 27, 2013 at 11:21AM
ReMax - Lisa
Thanks Nancy. For a couple hours work and a few bucks, it made a huge change! The cabinets were done by us. Just the cheap ones from Home Depot! They do a truckload sale every once in a while of white shaker style and they are only $100 per peice! The quality isn't fantastic, I wouldn't want them for my kitchen but they are awesome in there. Easy to wipe clean. We reinforced the cabinet before we installed the sink though just to make sure it was strrong enough with a full sink of water. Paid only $600 for all those cabinets!
1 Like   November 27, 2013 at 12:01PM
Susan Jacobs
that came out beautifully!
1 Like   November 27, 2013 at 12:48PM
Caroline Lauzon
I had my laundry room painted bright pink it's so nice and calming to go into and it's the only room in the house I could have pink.
1 Like   November 27, 2013 at 1:02PM
tennisanyone
Your room came out so nice. Thanks for showing us.
1 Like   November 27, 2013 at 1:07PM
suzanne_m
Very nice choice of wall paper. It kind of make me think of bubbles that come from the laundry soap. How cute!
1 Like   November 27, 2013 at 3:27PM
Wall Color, Curtains and Any Living Room Redecor Suggestions Please!
My husband and I just moved into a small home next...
ellenhunny
Suggestions for my Family Room wall please!
The tv stays above fireplace/mantle (per husband) I...
roxannpete
Suggestions for a laundry room and half bath
This area was a wet bar in a game room. We converted...
Debbie
Suggestions for laundry room and half bath layout
I posted this earlier, but I guess my post didn't actully...
Debbie
Exterior help
The house is a 1910 center hall colonial covered in...
jillian2000
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
wickedwhite
rredpenn
Need help with bathroom wall color
We just redid our bathroom and don't know what color...
bspearson