Cabinet Help
jego07
We recently purchased a home and I am trying to update the kitchen and make it brighter. The walls were a dark brown and I painted them the lighter color shown in the picture because the kitchen was so dark. I plan to update the lighting with the lighting below. We added stainless steel appliances. The cabinets are cream, but are look very yellow. Should I paint the cabinets white, maybe Incredible White by Sherwin Williams and replace tile with subway tile? The granite is mostly brown, maybe Tropical brown or Baltic Brown. I am not planning on painting the island. Also I thought of updating cabinet pulls as well.
unwantedadvice
Your kitchen looks lovely. What I would do before doing any painting of cabinets is get darker hardware for cabinets and live with that for a bit before deciding to paint. The new light fixture will look great, much sleeker than existing one, not as fussy. I also like color of island, wouldn't touch it as you say. :)
November 13, 2013 at 12:33PM   
I agree. I would not paint your cabinets, which look lovely, and even though I can't see it in any detail, your backsplash looks nice and neutral, so no need to update there either. You are probably reacting to the color of the cabinets because both your ceiling and trim in the room are purer whites and make the cabinets look yellower by contrast. If it really continues to bother you, you might either repaint the ceiling and trim in creamier shades (which is much less work than painting cabinetry) or put a combination of white and cream accents in the room so the combination looks purposeful. I like the style of the new light fixture, but it won't shed as much light as the one you have, so consider carefully if that might darken the effect of the cabinets more. Perhaps a similar style but with multiple lights?
November 13, 2013 at 12:39PM     
sandkshouse
From the photo, it appears that you have quality cabinets that are in good shape, so I would be reluctant to paint them. Under cabinet lighting might help brighten the space.
November 13, 2013 at 12:43PM   
pitbulls
I like your idea of painting them white. Lovely kitchen
November 13, 2013 at 12:46PM   
harryjeep
Yes I think white would look better! The yellow/cream is drab. White will definitely brighten up your kitchen and the darker island will be a nice contrast.
November 13, 2013 at 9:40PM     
Glass Tile Store
White will definitely brighten it up, though i do suggest painting the island too
November 14, 2013 at 5:03AM   
cgordon24
We are in the process of updating our kitchen, which has the same dilemmas as yours. We have Baltic brown granite countertops and backsplash (I hate it). We will be removing the backsplash and replacing it with something similar to what you have now (like a Noche travertine or something). Also, we are putting in hardwoods throughout and continuing them into the kitchen, much like the ones you have.

I agree with everyone else on not touching your island. I am replacing our island with a stained one, similar to yours. We refaced our cabinets and painted them a very light mushroom color to pull from some of the tones in the granite. We have stainless steel hardware and appliance. I like this pendant you are considering. I do agree that it will be less "fussy" than the current one.

What color is this on your walls? I have been researching wall/cabinet color combos on online images and am considering using our mushroom cabinet color on the walls as well to liven up the kitchen. Perhaps, a light mushroom color would look good on your cabinets, if you're ok with changing the wall color. It's lighter but not as bright as a white. I had mine custom matched at Benjamin Moore from a paint color I saw at Home Depot.

I hope this helps some! Please post your end results! Good luck!
December 6, 2013 at 10:13AM   
Mean Design
A factory finished cabinet vs. an already installed cabinet that is re-painted are going to have two very different looks as far as quality. Try changing your lighting if you think the existing cabinets lean too yellow for your taste.
December 7, 2013 at 7:24AM   
trebinje
I see competing undertones in your paint, cabinets and surfaces. To my eye, you've got pink (walls, backsplash) vs. yellow (cabinets) vs. orange (hardwood, island).

Your cabinets are lovely, I would try changing wall paint and back-splash (eliminating the pink) before making an investment in painting the cabinets.

Check this info about undertones and then re-assess options for harmonizing your space, which will be more pleasing to the eye: http://mariakillam.com/downloads/marias-bonus-book-of-colours.pdf
December 7, 2013 at 7:44AM     
sstarr
It would be far easier to repaint your wall, than to paint the cabinets.
You chose a very cool color for the wall, which is accentuating the warm tone in the cabs.
Match paint to your cabinets, then go one shade darker.
I would also recommend removing the tumbled stone backsplash, but don't replace it with subway tile, which is also a dated look. Instead, update the backsplash with large-format tile or glass tile, minimizing grout lines. Any grout lines should match the base color of the tile.
Good luck!
December 7, 2013 at 7:47AM   
Ugly 80s powder room
I have a desperately ugly 80s small powder room 1,5x1,5...
What kind of countertop is this in m/bath
What is the material on this countertop?
Need help updating stairway wall - it's carpeted
We're doing a total kitchen remodel: right next to...
Tear down the wall or finish the wall?
We have this 1970s era stucco wall that cuts through...
Bathroom Fixed Opaque Window
Hello everyone, I need some help for a fixed opaque...