Need help for formal living room
sherrick123
Want to update our living room. Would like to use existing couches as they are like new. Getting rid of drapes - thought of painting walls white and ceiling to match couches and adding some white arm chairs and white flowing drapery - or leave ceiling white and paint walls to match couches??? How do I arrange furniture??? Other suggestions - yellow has to go!!!
torreypines
your fireplace is beautiful and stately. Something large like a grand mirror with brass frame would be nice over the mantle. Tie the wall color (whatever you go with) into the couch pillows.
November 13, 2013 at 1:01pm   
Whispar Design
Judging by the views you have (gorgeous!) , I am assuming based on your current window treatments that privacy/light control is not an issue? Here is one option you may consider - especially the fireplace wall with the 2 windows
cornice-window-treatment2.jpg
With regards to wall color - white woodwork and silver-grey walls would look stunning
Suburban DC - Cahill Residence
November 13, 2013 at 1:01pm   
felixgrantham
News flash: Your formal living room has modern furniture.
What is your style?

Please refrain from painting walls or ceiling to match the couches!

I like the yellow, but if you don't.....
First, you need a much larger rug. Remember patterns will be more forgiving of life's little messes. Once you've found a rug, THEN determine the wall color.

You need some side tables and lamps. You need a larger square or round coffee table.

If you hang drapes, be sure to hang them high & be sure not to skimp on the amount of fabric (width).

Please remove the sad array of objects on the mantle & hang a mirror or art (be sure it's large enough) above.

The smaller black & white print/photo? on the angled wall needs to be moved to another room - or, you need to find a 3rd, compatible piece & hang in a grouping on the same wall with the larger B&W art.
November 13, 2013 at 1:07pm        Thanked by sherrick123
felixgrantham
PS - throw pillows on the couches will help tone down the "sea" of blue leather! Of course, you'll want to select them after you've gotten that fabulous rug that makes your heart sing!
November 13, 2013 at 1:52pm     
Greige and peach?
November 13, 2013 at 2:42pm     
You need more of a statement over your fireplace.
November 13, 2013 at 3:18pm     
DeCocco Drapes
I agree with many of the responses. Drapery panels (installed high and wide) in an colorful graphic pattern would add instant pizazz. A large focal piece over the mantel (large artwork or piece of architectural salvage) and some soft touches, like a throw and pretty accent pillows would create a warm, inviting space. You're lucky to have such a lovely space to work with!
November 14, 2013 at 11:54am     
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Ditto what Felix said...
November 14, 2013 at 12:04pm   
November 14, 2013 at 12:06pm     
Need help with my formal living room!
I bought a house in Florida a few months ago with a...
Need help with formal living room shelves
I have two sets of shelves that are on either side...
To paint the woodwork or not?
Dear Houzzers, I'm stumped & need your design experience....
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
OH LORD HELP!
My house was destroyed in Sandy. Finally trying to...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
Bathroom Accessories?
Ideas needed to accessorize our master bathroom....neutrals...