Need a little help...
emjsg
Hi. Here is our new kitchen in our new post sandy home. So many of you helped us along the year long journey so it would only be fitting to reach out for help to finish off our kitchen. What pendents do you think would look best over the island? What about a backsplash? I was originally going to go with a beveled white subway but I think the walls might be too light (SW on the rocks) for white subway tiles. Thank you for your help.
studio3600
Love it. White subway tile with gray grout would look sharp. Silver pendant. I will get the name of one for you.
November 13, 2013 at 6:02PM     
studio3600
Do you have one outlet on the ceiling or more? What is the length of your island?
November 13, 2013 at 6:35PM   
studio3600
Sorry, "over" the island
November 13, 2013 at 6:38PM   
I think these green subway tiles would look great too;) rest arrow on pic to enlarge

November 13, 2013 at 6:45PM     
ALLDECOR Home Staging & Design
Your kitchen is a good, balanced, neutral design, any tile will work. What color do you love? I see a blue/green bowl on your island. I like both studio3600 and Margos ideas. Love the island lights in Margos photos. Looks like all of your appliance and faucet are stainless steel, therefore you should use a brushed silver tone finish (nickel). Your island looks smaller if so, use 2 lights.
November 13, 2013 at 7:05PM     
emjsg
The island is about 5 ft long. I of love blues and greens since it's a beach house but we live here year round.
November 13, 2013 at 7:09PM     
emjsg
I have two outlets set up above the island.
November 13, 2013 at 7:10PM   
emjsg
I love the ideas. Do you think the green reads too country for the hardware? Or am I overthinking this?
November 13, 2013 at 7:11PM   
Maria Livingston
Restoration Hardware has some great pendant lights for over the island. I would use 2
November 13, 2013 at 7:14PM     
Maria Livingston
You might consider Carrera marble subway tiles - white with grey veins.
It is timeless.
November 13, 2013 at 7:19PM     
How does the green read country?
November 13, 2013 at 7:19PM   
ALLDECOR Home Staging & Design
The blue/green would not look too country. Pale mint green, or dark green would be to country. At first look I thought they we a green/blue glass tile which is more contemporary. My vote is glass tiles as they have various color, depth and movement... water inspired and well suited for a beach house.
November 13, 2013 at 7:25PM     
studio3600
Love restoration hardware lighting! Check out lamps plus and wayfair and etsy online as well. Sea foam green or pale ocean blues would be lovely accents. You could add some color in the back of your glass cabinet either with paper, paint or fabric.
November 13, 2013 at 7:33PM     
emjsg
Ha my husband hates that curtain! The sun was driving us crazy and I bought the first thing I saw! I plan on changing it... It was cheap and blocked the sun. He's so happy to see your comment! :-)
November 14, 2013 at 6:48PM   
emjsg
Thanks for the great suggestions!
November 14, 2013 at 6:48PM   
emjsg
What are your thoughts in this backsplash?
November 14, 2013 at 6:57PM     
zepled
I prefer a nice glass.. Seeded glass pendant over islands. They are transitional and appear to make the room larger to me. Pottery barn has some very nice seeded glass pendants and they are often on sale.
November 14, 2013 at 6:58PM   
Rachel's Mosaics
I think this back splash would compliment the kitchen nicely
November 14, 2013 at 7:13PM   
ALLDECOR Home Staging & Design
emjsg the mosaic tile is nice but its a bit common now and in all of the big box stores also I feel its too dark (you have enough dark pieces in the space). I prefer these tiles. They are subway tiles (your initial selection) and they can be stacked, used on a brick pattern or placed vertically. Or if you are feeling daring and want to be unique penny rounds are nice (circles). They are available in mosaic sheet with all the same size circles or various sized circles on the one mosaic sheet.
November 14, 2013 at 8:57PM     
mschil9
A bit different but what about drop down lights with a bit of chandler, a conversation piece of lighting
November 14, 2013 at 9:03PM     
emjsg
Alldecor... Good eye... The sample was from Home Depot! After a long and unexpected project I was tired of spending money but after thinking about it I don't want to end up being penny foolish! I LOVE the second example. I'm going to bring into my local tile store. Thx!
November 15, 2013 at 5:49AM   
apple_pie_order
Beautiful kitchen, nice recovery from Sandy.
November 15, 2013 at 5:53AM     
studio3600
Love the second one too ALLDECOR. It would look beautiful and at least you don't need a ton. Go for it emjsg! You're in the home stretch! Add photos when you finish. :)
November 15, 2013 at 6:14AM     
ALLDECOR Home Staging & Design
Thanks emjsg & studio3600. My favorite is the second tile also. It shows various colors and depth. emjsg - yes the backsplash is not the place to cut-costs as it is a main component in a kitchen design. Its best to invest a little more and be thrilled with the results. Your backsplash is not very large so the cost to upgrade the tile will not be excessive. Please post a photo when the project is completed.
November 17, 2013 at 4:40AM     
indianpatti
Agree that a blue glass backsplash would look nice .. look at getting a larger size tile, 3 x 12
November 17, 2013 at 5:58AM     
dclostboy
I'm really liking this herringbone glass...and the gray reads just blue enough to be interesting.
November 17, 2013 at 6:01AM     
Windows Etc.,Inc
You should add a custom window treatment over the sink, higher in the center, using decorative medallions for mounting. That way the treatment won't fight the nice crown moulding you have at the top of the cabinets. This also allows you to go higher above the window keeping the view and allowing more light into the room. Beautiful kitchen!
November 17, 2013 at 6:14AM     
cdpearman
I saw a show home with the same colours as your kitchen and they used a taupe coloured glass subway tile for the back splash and it looked amazing. It had pewter tones to it and looked good with the stainless steel appliances as well as with the white cabinets. I am not sure the brand/exact colour, but my guess is it would be easy to google or ask a tiles sales place. Good luck
November 17, 2013 at 7:40AM     
cdpearman
looks sort of like this, only imagine in a kitchen :)
November 17, 2013 at 7:46AM     
apple_pie_order
@windows etc.: That's a creative solution to window decoration. May I ask the approximate price range for the one in the photo? And is it lined and underlined to keep the shape?
November 17, 2013 at 7:50AM   
Windows Etc.,Inc
The price for custom treatments depends on the width of the window, also price of fabric and hardware, also trim if used. Yes, treatment would be lined and I typically use interlining with silks and faux silks. I can do custom orders or quotes if I have the window dimensions. Hope this helps!
November 17, 2013 at 8:49AM     
emjsg
Your bathroom is beautiful! I always love the combo of white and taupe... It's elegant and understated at the same time! I wouldn't have thought of it! I'm going tile shopping next weekend and I'll be sure to post pictures!
November 17, 2013 at 3:30PM   
Karla Papagni
a-ma-zing kitchen!!! I like a little drama, so I'd choose the following tile and lights...photo 1 for tile backsplash, photo 2 for pendants:
November 17, 2013 at 4:04PM     
Need help designing a tiny condo with little money- pls help!
We just bought our first place, an 1164sf condo. We...
Need help in organizing stuff in my bedroom too little space
Hi, my bedroom is too small and I have a full bed....
I need a little help with paint color
I have Saltillo tile in house that doesn't match the...
Need help with little boys bedroom at Grandparent's home
I have purchased navy and white striped comforters...
Match siding with roof shingles?
Hi, we are leaning towards 'flagstone' color siding...
Kitchen/front door/entryway re-design
We've got an old 60's house for which we'd like to...
How should I bring some life and spunk in this room?
I live in an apartment in Mumbai, Infia. Here, like...
Paint color for dark room
My family room, breakfast room and kitchen face N N/W....
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...