Small dining room but high ceilings
katiemjoiner
I just moved into a new home and am having trouble figuring out how to make the most of my dining room space. The ceilings are 15' high and there is a large window that I am trying to figure out how high to hang drapes and make use of the wall space? Should the drapes go mid-way or all the way to the top. Also the room is only 11'7" by 11'8" so I am thinking I should get a round or square table? Any suggestions to make the most of this room is appreciated!
rosecottagehome
Gorgeous room! Love that molding and high window and ceilings. I would hang the drapery panels full length from above the window trim to the floor. I think a round table would work well in that space and either a large arched window pane style mirror in possibly an antique silver metal style frame or a large piece of art work for that wall.
November 13, 2013 at 8:01pm     
rosecottagehome
This type of mirror
November 13, 2013 at 8:03pm   
Savant Design Group
Congrats on your new home! Definitely a round table. They are perfect for square rooms and fit more people than square table. As far as windows, it is a shame that the shutters were not carried all the way up the window and there didn't seem to be any thought as to where they stopped. I would remove them if you don't need the privacy there. Draperies need to be hung above the top of the wood window frame.
November 13, 2013 at 8:04pm   
Design Details
I'd say 15' high ceilings is not a bad problem to have. If you're going with a traditional decorating scheme, I think wallpaper may be your answer. A wide border below the crown will bring the scale of the room down a bit. If you're open to more contemporary ideas you might consider skipping the drapes altogether and possibly hanging a leaded glass panel above the shutters. If you feel you need to soften the room you could just hang sheers but I think full length from the top of the casing to the floor is the best length in any case. Celebrate those high ceilings with a tall framed mirror to give the room more width and fill it up with a taller chandelier and oversized sconces. As intriguing as a square table sounds, I think round might be more practical and flexible.
November 13, 2013 at 8:09pm   
Tres McKinney Design
I agree with rosecottagehome. A 54" round table allows you more seating than a square. It will give you room for passage when guests are seated at the table. If the light fixture is centered in the room you may not have room for console or buffet. You might build in a buffet between the pillar and the wall. Hang the curtain rod just under the crown molding and take the rod almost to the corners of the room with lined curtain panels at least 2 widths on each side of the window. A single width will look skimpy especially being so tall. The mirror is also an excellent recommendation.
November 13, 2013 at 8:15pm   
janeinfo
Your room is gorgeous. Since your room is small, I would stick with a glass table and light colored chairs. All your trim work screams "formal". How about a set like this? (
) I would put a transitional rug under the table and long straight panels from the ceiling down.
November 14, 2013 at 6:02pm   
Amy Cali
round table and drapes from close to the ceiling :) nice room - hope you enjoy decorating it
November 14, 2013 at 6:06pm   
ArtFromDenise
With such high ceilings, are you considering adding large artwork?
November 14, 2013 at 8:26pm   
Small Dining Room - High Ceilings-
10x13 room with 16' ceiling; windows about 14'. open...
Duplex condo with small living/dining but high ceiling, how to design?
Living + dining area = 18 ft L x 12 ft W Ceiling height...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
Please help me lighten up my living room
I want to update my great room. I feel it is too dark....
old american 4 sq and need help with living room layout
Just bought my first house and she is a fixer upper...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...
I need HELP decorating my tiny family room !!!!
Hi there! I need your help, your expert opinion on...