Furnitiure placement and scale for Joan - Part 1

ihearthouzzNovember 13, 2013
I've waited long enough! This reno/update of our small 40 yr-old home was done in 2010 and I still don't have anything permanent by way of furniture. Thankfully I no longer have a blue and pink theme Yes, you are reading this correctly. Hence, the pink bergiere chairs [photo 1]. Are they trash or treasure (if recovered)?
I need major help with furniture placement and furniture scale!
Here is my floor plan [photo 2]. My problem is that I can't relate to floor plans.
Here is the kitchen [photo 3]. Yes, I know the fridge is HUGE, and I'm waiting for it to konk out so that I can replace it with a size more appropriate to the size of the room! Just goes to show my failed attempt at "scale".
Max photos to upload to Houzz is 4--so I'll post 5, 6, 7 and 8 in Part 2 (if that's even possible).
The two built-in's [photos 4 and 5] and fireplace [photos 6 and 7] were part of the reno. In hindsight, the "TV unit" maybe should have been installed around the FP? The wall colour throughout is Benjamin-Moore Stonehouse. I currently have ivory shears on both windows. I love my Robert Bateman "Black Swan" [photo 8] and if only I could create a colour scheme around it! I tried with the brown floral-themed area rugs shown in photo 8 (8' x 10' in the living room, and 5' x 7' in the dining room). Oh ya, I don't want a dining set, as we would never use it. The TV in that wall unit is optional, so it does not dictate a seating arrangement in that area.
I need seating for 8 in the living room. Again, the big brown leather chair is going! Look at it! It takes up the whole room!!! The only other thing I have is an oval brass coffee table with glass top [photo 8]. Could the whole thing be a living room? or separated into two?
Anyways, here's food for thought. Looking forward to any and all ideas!
Laurence Tillett
don't have much time this morning, but do NOT trash those darling chairs!!! paint them black and have them recovered in a nifty print...small scale. Zebra?
    Bookmark   Thanked by ihearthouzz    November 14, 2013 at 5:16AM
Mark
Your bergere chairs could be a great start for your whole living room décor ! They are treasures, keep them.
Kathleen Burke Design · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by ihearthouzz    November 14, 2013 at 5:42AM
ihearthouzz
Thank you. I see what you mean. They are all lovely. What other seating would go with these? i.e. I need seating for 6 more people. In my "pink and blue" room, I had a large sofa and smaller loveseat that never seemed to fit. I was constantly changing their orientation and was never happy with the results. Where would these 2 chairs go in the floor plan?
    Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 6:02AM
yoboseiyo
omg, keep those chairs, they're beautiful!

i know you said the tv's optional, but if you keep it there, do all 8 people watch the tv at once, or can the seating be broken up into 2 groupings? because i think a small grouping for the tv (a couch and a small but comfy chair), and then a different group for the fireplace would be lovely.

since you don't need a formal dining area, just curious, where do you guys eat? i'm assuming you have a place elsewhere? if not, and all 8 of you don't all eat together, you could create a small eating area in the larger portion near the fireplace. a table could back up to a sofa and do dual duty. of course, if not needed, then nevermind. ^.^-b
    Bookmark   Thanked by ihearthouzz    November 14, 2013 at 6:08AM
Loveseats are notorious for being useless and sets that include them are always hard to work with. Here's a variation on your original pink and blue that takes a completely different turn.
blue with black/white accents · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by ihearthouzz    November 14, 2013 at 6:09AM
Mark
I would get two full size sofas rather than a loveseat. That is why you had difficulty placing furniture. With two full size sofas and 2 chairs you will many options for furniture arrangements.
    Bookmark   Thanked by ihearthouzz    November 14, 2013 at 6:11AM
Lamps are Blah
These lamps are very boring to me. What would you...
Sharon Stone
I must have been drinking when I chose this color for my Dining Room.
I posted my DR eariler and was against painting now...
Robi
Need help for my living room !!!
We just moved to a house and bought this furniture....
darya1
Kitchen remodel
Can someone please help me with our kitchen remodel?...
maryjoroes
Kitchen and Breakfast decor help!
I need some advice on how to decorate my "new kitchen...
bowlly
Curb Appeal with Landscaping and Side Yard Help
Hi Everyone, We are trying to figure out how to get...
Travis
Caulk shower corners a different color than grout lines?
I've just tiled my shower walls with 12x24 size tiles....
greenshard2003
California Coastal Interior Update
This house was built in 1973 and needs an update. We...
marmalade920
stone fireplace near an existing brick fireplace?
We're adding a screen porch with a fireplace. The screen...
nyumbayangu9
Nursery paint color dilemma?! Need help!
We painted a stripe wall however we used different...
EleganceDecor2014