How can I improve the style of this bungalow-style home?
J deecee
If you have any tips or ideas on how to make this bungalow have more curb appeal or look more like a traditional bungalow, please share. Windows are in good condition so they will not be replaced. Paint suggestions are welcome too! Thanks!
rosecottagehome
I am wondering if your home is in the warmer areas of the south. I am guessing from your gardens. Just with painting your front door would add some more charm to your cute bungalow and adding some pots of flowers a window box, if you are south to add more color. Your gardens are lovely and full. Fulton Bungalow Cottage Cubed - Remodel of a 25sqm Fishermans Cottage.
1 Like   Thanked by J deecee    November 13, 2013 at 8:43PM
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 13, 2013 at 8:49PM
J deecee
We are in southern California. We like the idea of a contrast door. All the pictures of bungalows seem to have some type of contrast. We may add siding as well.
0 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 8:55PM
nwduck
What a darling place! A few ideas....What if you beefed up the window trim a bit, in something with a little more detail? If you can live without the railing, you might take that off to showcase some colorful chairs that coordinate or complement a colored door. I think it might be something a little bit different to put black house numbers on the door, on that crosspiece below the window.
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 13, 2013 at 9:02PM
Sigrid
It's a cute bungalow. I'd embrace the Spanish stucco. Consider painting to have a greater contrast between house and trim. I'd add more flowers, too. You have nice plantings, but perhaps they are not flowering or cultivars that have a short bloom period or need more water/care than you want to give them.
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 13, 2013 at 9:17PM
Brooke
I agree that it would be nice to embrace the Spanish stucco. Maybe similar colours as this photo or you could tone them down slightly if you didn't want it as bright

Pick a medium tan - terra cotta paint for the main walls, keep the trim white and add a contrasting colour for the door or go for a darker colour in the same family as the main paint (or go brighter if your main colour is on the darker side)
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 13, 2013 at 10:14PM
Brooke
Then you could add a few more flowering plants in your garden and/or consider getting a large blue clay pot for bright flowers between your door and window (if it won't get in the way too much).

You could also try staining your concrete porch and steps if they grey didn't work with the colours you picked.

If you want something slightly more modern I would consider painting the walls a medium grey (don't go too dark) with a chartreuse or yellow door

Spring Lane
My Houzz: Santa Cruz: Jen (this house is an olive colour and would look great with white trim and a black door)
Peter Ivancovich Landscape Design
(Keeping your house white, if your windows are wood paint the window mullions/trim black and paint your door turquoise or another bright colour - or have your window trim match the door colour)
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 13, 2013 at 10:30PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I agree with Sigrid, embrace the stucco.
Paint it a bolder color and paint the door a contrasting bold color.
I have probably remodeled and changed the look of hundreds of So Cal 1950's bungalows, but I do love them as they are.
I have fond memories of growing up in one of these houses......

I am attaching some photos. The first two photos are of typical bungalows where we added a front porch.........The others are just photos of painted bungalows that I have admired.....
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 13, 2013 at 10:42PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I do like Jen's Santa Cruz house with a sage green and darker trim...You can add the dark trim but keep the white windows.

I have added a photo of a house that used to be a bungalow that we enlarged and painted red......You could paint your house red if you want to be really bold. The color is Benjamin Moore, Spanish Red.

If you ever replace the roof, you might choose a dark charcoal grey to add more contrast.
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 13, 2013 at 10:48PM
MarleneM
Such a cute little bungalow, doesn't need a lot. Just warm up the color. paint door. beef up window trim and columns, see photo, just a drawing but very similar to your house http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4998355236685805&pid=1.7
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 14, 2013 at 12:47AM
JWinteriors
Definitely remove hand rail. Darken the house color and beef up wood trim in white
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 14, 2013 at 12:00PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi......I have attached a picture to help you visualize my ideas, the roof line is obviously different as is the porch, the idea is for shutters and bolder posts without the railing, an arbor
over the window on the left to give more depth, with blooming vines. The house color
BM Harwood Putty and the trim BM Yorktowne Green. The front door Green, and if you could extend the steps across in front of the porch that would be great.
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 14, 2013 at 5:01PM
Amber Barratt
I would change the plants to match in both planters. Paint the front door and match the patio furniture with the door?
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 14, 2013 at 10:36PM
Samantha de Caussin
I think that is really needs a bold door color, and a more subtle yet fresh exterior color. If we want to move in a more vintage, fun direction then the colors will help it stand out. The colors now are drab and boring. Removed the railing would open if up, but if you wanted to keep it enclosed and private then keep the railng. The plants seem all over the place and I think that making their placement more focused and organized will make the front yard more appealing and fresh. Adding succulents and cacti will give it a California feel as well. Adding interesting furniture will make it more welcoming and will make you want to enjoy the patio as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 15, 2013 at 4:22PM
glacierspeed
CHange the front door to a more bungalow style maybe something with stain glass...
0 Likes   Thanked by J deecee    November 15, 2013 at 6:23PM
glacierspeed
Please see Twin Ciites Bungalow Club Good information...
0 Likes   November 15, 2013 at 6:28PM
What kind of sofa should I pair with this one?
I have this limited edition distressed leather chesterfield...
New living room
These are pictures of my new living room. I'd like...
Need help on my bedroom windows
Hi guys! I recently took off cellular shades and floor...
Which sink would you rather have in your kitchen?
My husband and I have different opinion about the kitchen...
Granite install issues!!
Our contractor told us there would not be a seam in...