Pay no attention to the cute dog
smartin1
We just got in our new sofa! Yay! Now, I need help with what to do with it. On this side if the room, I have:
1. an antique dresser that we use as an end table (came out of a house of Ill-repute in Marengo County, Alabama.
2. The new sofa
3. Two rather formally framed hand tinted portraits of my children.
4. A new rustic cafe mango coffee table from west elm to be delivered soon.

Pay no attention to the little dog. He has to stay! And the coffee table is being replaced and all the stuff on it is going, going, gone.

Any suggestions for ways to pull it together would be greatly appreciated!

unwantedadvice
Can you post more pics, not only of dresser but the room as well and of course the cute little dog stays. Love the couch btw.
November 13, 2013 at 9:33PM     
unwantedadvice
And the kids aren't bad either!!!
November 13, 2013 at 9:34PM     
smartin1
Here ya go!
1. That wonderful dresser from the house of ill-repute. Not sure if you can see the bullet hole in the top.
2. The wardrobe my great-grandfather built, which houses the TV.
3. The chairs on the opposite wall from the wardrobe
4. The fireplace that I'm currently painting (wanted to get the couch in before I picked a color)

The new coffee table should be in within a week or so. I am buting new curtain rods and have unbleached muslin panels im hanging in the windows. What I need help with is bringing it all together; adding the jewelry, so to speak. Would love any and all suggestions!
November 14, 2013 at 6:03AM     
smartin1
The fireplace
November 14, 2013 at 6:03AM     
Can't tell from these close ups what the exact layout of the room is. Does the sofa face the FP? My first impression is that I would want the sofa on the longest wall where you have the chairs. Can you start at the entry and snap photos of the opposite side of the room, working around clockwise shooting from mid wall to give us the view we need to be really helpful?
November 14, 2013 at 6:19AM   
gypsyrose17
The cute puppy needs a stocking too!
November 14, 2013 at 8:40AM     
smartin1
I'll try to take photos of the room tonight. Here is a very, very rough draft of the floor layout. We've tried putting the sofa on the long wall, but when the chairs recline, they are then two far out into the traffic flow of the room (and I'm not about to tell the Mister and that little dog that they can't recline while watching TV at night).
We were going to change the room color, so suggestions on that would be great. I don't mind the mustard so much now, since the furniture is lighter, but it's been there for a while, so I'm ready for a change.
As you can tell by the top of the coffee table, I've bought 9000 tchotchkes over the years, trying to pull it all together and finally realized t was the furniture I didn't like. Voila, new furniture! Still don't know how to finish the room...
November 14, 2013 at 9:53AM   
smartin1
Well, that posted before I had time to make grammar corrections, so I do apologize for two instead of too, etc.
November 14, 2013 at 9:54AM   
Can the TV connections be placed somewhere other than where they are now? If they were opposite the present location, the two chairs could go where TV is and the sofa opposite the FP. If you put TV opposite the FP the two chairs and sofa could form a group between them with the sofa perpendicular to the French doors and the chairs opposite - or vice versa so you have lounging space for the chairs. I think TV/armoire is the clogging factor in getting the right arrangement for you. I suggest you consider greige for paint. Here's an ideabook.

November 14, 2013 at 10:26AM     
November 14, 2013 at 10:45AM     
gypsyrose17
I think you should pick a rug with some teal blue and red in the design...doesn't have to be a lot, style wouldn't matter too much either....those two pops of color will pull your various colors and woods together. By the way...I do not care for the Akadia Metal lamp...think it is too rigid for your look....go for softer lines in maybe a burnished metal finish.
November 14, 2013 at 11:07AM   
smartin1
I think you are right about the rug, pulling it all together. I honestly never thought of that. Goes to show you why I'm in finance, not home design!
November 14, 2013 at 11:38AM     
smartin1
Genevieve, bravo! I told my husband that we were moving that table tonight, between the two chairs. He looked at me like I was crazy, so now I can tell him that you said to do it! :)
November 14, 2013 at 11:41AM     
unwantedadvice
Thanks for the extra pics. Lovely old pieces you have and one was handmade, nice history there. You are receiving excellent suggestions.
November 14, 2013 at 12:42PM     
yoboseiyo
ooh, i love the little green table!

is this the coffee table? http://www.westelm.com/products/rustic-storage-coffee-table-cafe-h343/

if so, i would bring out the greens, it's so pretty.
that lovely floral rug that genevieve posted is very nice for color, but with that green table, i would prefer some pillows or a strip on your window panels in a green pattern like that.
the rug i would want something with texture, but neutral.
that way if you get bored and want to change colors later, you don't have to buy a new rug.
November 14, 2013 at 12:49PM     
unwantedadvice
smartin1, in regards to your buying 9000 knick-knacks over the years I would like to comment about that. While you are still young, go through your many items and cull out the ones you can live without. Obviously I know you don't really have that many, but at times I bet you think you do!

I used to collect too many things like that and then you begin to realize that you are running out of space and you are sick to death of dusting it all. Now I wasn't a collector of everything that came out in a series, thank goodness, I would only purchase ones I liked and really it wasn't that many but over time it can add up. I used to say in the 80s that Ronald Reagan and I were spending a lot of money!

So, just a word of warning for you. I am certainly not implying that you stop buying items to keep your home "current" but just be careful in what you do purchase over time. Now, enough of my "unwantedadvice". I picked that username for a reason!! :))
November 14, 2013 at 1:18PM     
gypsyrose17
unwantedadvice...go ahead and let her collect all she wants...there will come a day when someone will really like something and it will pass it on to a good home. I collect ethnic/religious masks from around the world, have 66 at home and 13 at work in my office. Some I group by tribe, region or country, ironically, all ethnic/religious groups have masks that keep evil out....I hang those over my doorways. The Tibetan one eats the Nagas...the Nagas are the snake people. And, yes, I have given quite a few away...but its like karma...another shows up soon after.
November 14, 2013 at 2:05PM   
unwantedadvice
@gypsyrose17, of course she doesn't have to stop buying any more stuff. It was merely a suggestion if she thinks she has a lot of knick-knacks or whatever. I was speaking to her about my own experience and sure if someone told me eons ago to stop buying I probably would have continued along my merry way, purchasing items that I did not need. I find that as one matures, just speaking of myself here, the need or want of these items doesn't seem very important in the long run.

Over the past few years I have gotten rid of sooo many things and even furniture pieces that have housed them. And do I still have a lot of stuff, you betcha! Look at it every day and wonder why I have it all.

I also have family pieces that will need a good home at some point. But I have told my daughter and son that sure it would be nice to keep this and that, but in the end, I will be gone and I won't give a hoot! :))
November 14, 2013 at 2:25PM     
gypsyrose17
@unwantedadvice, I wasn't being mean to you...just standing up for her collecting...we all have our little vices that harm no one (unless it's putting you in the poor house :) I too have a lot of items that I have been given or bought over the years, and every time I get a notice that some organization is collecting clothing, furniture, etc., I wander through my home and start a pile in the garage to donate. My puppy (he's almost 2 now) has actually spurred some items prematurely into the trash :)
November 14, 2013 at 2:40PM     
unwantedadvice
@gypsyrose17, didn't take it that way at all! Yes, we do have our vices of this and that and like I said, I still have way too much. No, you are good. I had a Doberman Pinscher puppy once in my very early 20s who loved to chew on anything she could find. But did that stop me from keeping my stuff, mostly clothes and shoes, picked up? No way. She ruined many a good outfit and shoes. I learned over time though! :))
November 14, 2013 at 2:51PM     
gypsyrose17
@unwantedadvice...sounds as if we are kindred spirits :)
November 14, 2013 at 2:54PM     
dclostboy
I'll see your cute dog and raise it one :)
November 14, 2013 at 2:57PM     
unwantedadvice
Aw, miniature Pinschers! So cute dc. My Dobie was Black and Tan. She was the best dog but did she ever scare people! She was on the high side. And hated car rides, good God, the stories I could tell you about that lovely experience! Anyway, yours are a keeper, what are their names? Mine was Coco.
November 14, 2013 at 3:12PM   
dclostboy
Perry is the boy that moved at the last moment and Asa is the little girl. But they're not dobies...they're toy manchesters.
November 14, 2013 at 3:14PM     
Piff
dclostboy - those dogs are hilarious. where did you get your couch? do you like it?
November 14, 2013 at 3:16PM   
unwantedadvice
Well you learn something new everyday! Cute names and yes, was thinking your couch was quite nice as well.
November 14, 2013 at 3:27PM     
unwantedadvice
@gypsyrose17, show a pic of your pooch!
November 14, 2013 at 3:29PM   
smartin1
First, I wish I could stop while I was young! But since this is "the spruce up of the house when your first child is a junior in college", I've missed my chance at that. :)
My problem is more of a tendency to love something so much, that I don't ever want to let it go. Call it hoarding, if you must. I prefer to call it waiting years for things to come back into style. I need a twelve step program for collecting old home decor.
And here's the other little dog in the house. She's the one that kept leaving sacrificial toys at the foot of the new Living Room Couch God yesterday, when they delivered it. I guess she thought if she made friends with it, it wouldn't eat her! :) little dogs...you gotta love them!
November 14, 2013 at 3:51PM     
smartin1
Yoboseiyo, that is the exact table!
November 14, 2013 at 3:57PM   
unwantedadvice
smartin1, I sure hope I didn't ruffle any feathers with my comment about having too many "things"! I assumed(and you know what they say about assuming!) with those adorable pics of the kids, that perhaps you were young. And I am certainly not saying you still aren't young even with a child in college. I am in my early 60s, so anybody is younger than me!

Anyway, I love what you are doing with your home. Love, love, love the couch and your older pieces. And your little dog, too. :))
November 14, 2013 at 4:41PM     
gypsyrose17
@unwantedadvice...couldn't figure out how to upload the photo...managed to get it into my photo box somehow....my cat Gypsy Rose and my puppy Teddy Bear.
November 14, 2013 at 4:49PM     
unwantedadvice
Oh, kitty and a dog, how fun! Are you tech challenged? I am the worst when it comes to things like that. I have managed to show one pic that was on houzz over to a thread and thankfully can post a pic with my iPad mini. Otherwise, I am hopeless.
November 14, 2013 at 4:57PM   
gypsyrose17
I managed to email it from my phone to my computer but getting it to attach as an image couldn't figure it out...did manage to somehow get a picture of a toilet paper roll on my profile also...no clue where that one came from. Yeah...I think I'm challenged :(
November 14, 2013 at 5:15PM     
smartin1
@unwantedadvice, no ruffling at all! Those portraits were done 11 years ago. See what I mean when I say I find something I love and it's there forever? I've got to move them somewhere else, but there little faces are just so sweet.
November 14, 2013 at 6:31PM     
dclostboy
@piff and unwanted...couch is from room and board. It's great and fully 96" long.
November 14, 2013 at 6:37PM     
Kitchen design should pay attention to what
I want to know the brand name and origin of these cabinets...
Cute dog
Just wanted to tell you that your dog is adorable....
What would you do with these wonderful windows?
Designers with Photoshop, will you put some casing/trim...
Curb appeal
Help me give this 1978 DeckHouse contemporary curb...
color ideas for front door?
White house, dove gray shutters, estate gray roof....
"which white to choose for kitchen cabinets"
about to order custom cabinets - what white should...