What new sofa/s and layout, and help with a big entrance wall!
VivianNovember 13, 2013
Wonderfully enough, my parents have given me the green light to update their living room furniture! I am itching to do the rest of the house too but this is a start :) Please help envision a good layout!

I'm thinking a modern charcoal-colored couch like the Room & Board Ian or Harding sofas. But should I get two identical ones that face each other, perpendicular to the fireplace, and then a complementary chair somewhere? Or is the current layout good, just with a rounded coffee table so that the corner doesn't poke towards the angled love seat as it currently does?

Also, that big tall wall with the mishmash of paintings is the first thing you see opposite you upon entering. How would you make it look good? Some occasional seating like a pouf under the console table would sometimes be helpful. Or maybe ditch the console thing entirely and put a bench? What about the big wall - what kind and scale and arrangement of new art, plants, etc? Help!!

The awesome lady on the sofa is my grandma, age 94!

Thank you for your insights! Vivian
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lessismoore
wow, so many possibilities. Is removing the wall to wall there part of the options? Is there wood under or more tile? Either would look great with some colorful modern area rugs.

The gallery wall would work better with some more (smaller) paintings added in to really fill the wall. Add in nice buffet, http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lawton-3Drw-2Dr-Buffet/5713777/product.html to replace console table (a bit low, too small)
And a ghost chair too to match the acrylic stair rails http://hivemodern.com/pages/product18/kartell-philippe-starck-louis-ghost-chair
Sofas (nice choices) facing each other as you suggested :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Vivian    November 13, 2013 at 11:27PM
Vivian
Thanks so much for this help Lessismore! The carpet stays for now, tho my dad does have in mind to replace the carpet with hardwood flooring at some point.

I am trying to delete this duplicate post, since there are more comments on the other -- please tell me how to do it if you know!
    Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 11:58PM
lessismoore
send an email to support@houzz.com. - typically (they say) they don't delete ...

For any passers-by ... this is the link to the thread that should be used. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/732174/What-new-sofa-s-and-layout--and-help-with
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Vivian    November 14, 2013 at 8:36AM