More window treatment dilemmas
smugsy1122
One of my biggest regrets when I built my house last year was I didn't spring for the trim around the windows. But the price tag that the builder was charging seemed very unreasonable, so we did not select it. So I struggle with window treatment options, because nothing ever seems finished.

For the family room, I selected a simple ivory sheer with a lined roman shade behind it. I am very energy conscious, so I wanted the layer of materials on the window since this room is massive and has no many windows in the space. But I also wanted them to be light filtering so that I only needs lights when it is dark outside.

After staring at them for a year, they just don't work. But I really struggle with these choices in regards to layering of treatments, colors etc. So I am hoping you can all help out and offer concrete suggestions.

The room is the family room / kitchen / breakfast area turned lounge. There are four standard windows and one picture window. As energy conscious as I am, I DO NOT want to cover up my picture window. It looks onto the woods behind my house. But without the scarf (I know outdated) the window felt really cold.

I have kept the four standard windows with the same treatment, and would like to do the same. What could I replace the sheers with to give the room more pizzazz and make them feel more complete? The roman blinds stay, since they are a wonderful insulator. What can I do with my picture window to tie a treatment into what is on the rest of the windows.

Thanks so much for your help,

Jennifer
smugsy1122
Two notes: I know my rods need to be hung higher. That'll get done when / if I change out the sheers. The reason why the curtain in the sitting area is shorter is because there is a litter box in that corner.
November 14, 2013 at 4:28AM   
leelee
Move the litter box! Please. Grommet drapes don't work. Curtains need to fall all the way to the floor. Remove swag over the big window.
November 14, 2013 at 6:17AM     
yoboseiyo
do you want to bring some color, or just some texture in?
if it's just texture, i would go with some kind of a large-weave panel (they make bamboo panels), or maybe an unbleached muslin.
November 14, 2013 at 6:38AM     
smugsy1122
I would appreciate a little more life... a little more elegance.

To leelee, I would appreciate some suggestions to your requests. The corner spot is the only place on my main floor for a litter box. The only other "rooms" on this floor have gorgeous hardwoods, and I do not want a litter box on those. You need to have a litter box on each floor in a home with cats. Also, what do you suggest I put on the picture window then? It looks very cold with nothing dressing it.
November 14, 2013 at 6:48AM   
Litter boxes go to the laundry or bathroom, not in the public areas! The chandelier in front of the large window seems to indicate that is to be a dining space. Are you planning for that down the road? Country Curtains has some insulated cordless roman shades that might work for you. Mount them inside or out of your trimless windows, and then flank them with panels hung stationary to the sides, mainly for softness, color, pattern and to hide the lack of trim. Can you lower your wall hung items? They should have their centers at 60" above the floor, or 5" above furniture. Replace the wreath with a large piece of art to bring color and vibrancy to your space.
November 14, 2013 at 6:56AM     
yoboseiyo
a linen-look cotton would be nice, for some life and elegance.

and to protect the hardwoods in my house from the cats, we actually have the litterbox in an oversized rectangular boot tray, with a scrap of jute rug set under it. the jute catches the litter that comes out with the cats, and the boot tray helps to catch the litter that gets tossed around because my cats are messy little things.
November 14, 2013 at 7:00AM        Thanked by smugsy1122
Kandrac & Kole Interior Designs, Inc.
Smugsy I would suggest investing in panels that are fuller. They will bring more depth and life to the windows. Try for a 1.5 to 2 times fullness. I would also suggest something with a large scale pattern or with a more obvious texture. Your furniture and walls are neutral so you have an amazing opportunity to try something bold. You acknowledgement above about raising the height of the rods will make a big different also! When purchasing your new rods, look for something that is substantial in diameter and that has a finial. It will look more finished! Good luck, can't wait to see the end result!
November 14, 2013 at 7:05AM   
smugsy1122
The lounge space is used as a place where the family hangs out to chat while dinner is prepared, It's the place where I have coffee on the weekend mornings. We have talked about making it a dining area, but we don't need it at this point in our lives. I never thought the chandelier read "dining room". I needed a light fixture that hangs low and provides enough light for the whole space. Any suggestions about what would be more appropriate?

Would something like the following work?
https://www.pier1.com/Nature%27s-Floral-Curtain---96%22/2682978,default,pd.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Keeva-Rod-Pocket-108-inch-Curtain-Panel/3319967/product.html?refccid=BJ3FMQ2MQSSKANKH4E4GNZNMNM&searchidx=11
November 14, 2013 at 7:42AM   
Whispar Design
I agree with decoenthusiast on the panels and yoboseiyo on the linen. Expose the shades you wish to keep and add stationary drapery panels to frame the windows and get the layering you are going for? You mentioned about the trim on the windows - perhaps hanging the stationary panels inside a cornice could give some extra detail. This photo is more traditional than your taste but can give you an idea. If you have a straight-on photo of the family room with the roman shades I could try and do a quick rendering it it will help visualize things better

November 14, 2013 at 8:33AM   
I think you're talking about "ambient" lighting - the kind that allows you to flip a switch and see how to get into your room without falling over something. For a more pleasing room, you need task and accent lighting. If you're keeping the two chairs there, a floor or table lamp would provide task lighting for reading or other activity. The large arched window could be flanked by candle sconces if you make the area for dining - they would be accent lighting. If that becomes a dining area, I'd put the chandelier on a dimmer to create instant atmosphere - then it would be more of an accent light, until you began to eat, when you might up the voltage for the task at hand. As for the curtains, I would prefer something lined so they will hang nicely and no light from the window can penetrate and make them look too flimsy. Since you don't have trim, the treatment above may not allow for covering the window edge to hide the missing trim.
November 14, 2013 at 8:48AM   
smugsy1122
I stopped at my local Marshall's lat night and found a terra cotta curtain that is wrong in every way... But it at least let me visualize what it would be like with some serious color on the walls. Any thoughts?
November 15, 2013 at 2:08AM   
What counts is whether you like color in the room! This might not be the shade you need but you see how it softens and adds interest.
November 15, 2013 at 9:23AM   
Hudson Street Design
How about this.... you can close for privacy when needed. Hunter Douglas.com
November 15, 2013 at 10:26AM   
Blindsgalore
Definitely need to add a splash of color to the windows. You have beach style furniture, patterns and color, hints of orange and green in the room, and the unfortunately white drapery alone just doesn't cut it. Consider doing the layering look for fullness. Layer a woven wood shade that matches the natural textures of the chairs with a thicker elegant drapery. Also, I know you weren't asking to change it, but the coffee table in the middle of those two chairs does not quite flow well. A nice wood table same height and dimensions would look better. And for the wall above the couch, you need a larger painting to tie in the accent colors or another wall display.

It is hard to tell what woven woods would match your current chairs, but you can order some of our free samples if you would like to see fabrics up close. Here are examples of my ideas:

Blindsgalore Signature Drapery Panel: Energex Solid Blackout 1
Blindsgalore Signature Drapery Panel: Energex Solid Blackout 2
Bali® Natural Shades: Nicaragua, Sensation & Uplands
Woven Wood Shades
Powell Residence Dining Room
Panama Jack Coronado Drawer End Table
November 15, 2013 at 12:37PM   
Window treatment dilemma.
This room isn't finished but its far. Its lacking all...
Window treatment dilemma
Could really use some advice on how to dress these...
Window treatment dilemma
How does one hang window treatments in this room? One...
Window Treatment Dilemma - Please Help
Dilemma - I have 90 degree angle (about 66 in. wide...
Open Floor Plan- Window Treatment Dilemma
Brand new home with a lot of open space! Two large...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Exterior paint around door siding and door
I need ideas... Was thinking red door and stone color...
Need Help with Layout for my Living Room/Dining
I am not sure how to layout the space to make it flow....
What's the hardest thing to clean in your house?
Surely there is something in your house that involves...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...