What is your home's single best feature?

Emily HurleyNovember 14, 2013
What is the one thing you love best about your home? Was it the reason you bought it?

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

printesa
I like my two story high family room. That was the reason I chose this model when we were given the choice of models to pick from. It has a wall full of windows and there is always light in the room. The entire house gets a lot of sun, which I love. Of course, a two story room has its challenges when it comes to the decorating process, but that is part of the fun.
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 10:00AM
happyasaclam
I love my vaulted ceiling in my living room. It continues to my second story bedroom. All the window in our new home are huge and let in so much light!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 10:15AM
hyweld
My red and black brick
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 10:41AM
msp1tzer
Location! house is on a small cul-de-sac a block from the Middle & High schools, and walking distance to the town center. When we purchased we had a 2 year old and a baby, followed 2 years later by a third. Our oldest is now in Middle School and able to walk there. Even though it was years down the road, we wanted to be the house where the kids would hang out after school, or on those many half days. Our kids can play on the street safely, we rarely get traffic unless they live on the street. I did NOT fall in love with anything in the house, however as the years pass it is getting closer to what I dream of.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 10:43AM
jeff1185
My toilet. A throne for a king.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 10:43AM
yoboseiyo
our kitchen is 14'x30'.
it's HUGE.

it was badly built, though, and we really need to basically firebomb it and start from scratch.
but it's a lovely size.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 11:19AM
Alexander Makarov
Location. There's a good view to river and city. And light. There are windows on 3 sides.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 11:24AM
Mark
I love everything about our home, but I really do love our bedroom. The bedroom is gigantic, with a fireplace and two large windows. It has a separate sitting area. It's one of the most used rooms in our house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 11:29AM
dianahb
The quality (and quantity) of filtered sunlight.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 11:44AM
adp3
I love the plan! We took a year to design our home, then had the plan drawn up, and built it ourselves. It took a year to build. When it was done everything flowed exactly how we wanted. It's thirty years later, no more children at home, and the plan still works for us. Our master bedroom and the office are downstairs. The two children's rooms and their bathroom were upstairs. Now we use the upstairs only when we have guests sleeping over or when we need to get something from our walk-in (full-size door right off the hallway) attic space.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 12:48PM
FORNEY + architecture, LLC
I love my windows! I can see out in 2 directions from anywhere in the house. We have a beautiful wooded lot, and a lot of wildlife and privacy, and I didn't include draperies because of the terrific view.
22 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 1:00PM
Chad
@FORNEY, that looks beautiful!

Come people photos encouraged ;) !!!!!

My house was a spec home but what sold me with the spec I chose was that it had 3 living rooms. I have two young children and thought it'd be perfect for a toy room and a theater or gym when they get older. But so far I've done nothing with it but put a couch in there that I had no where else to put and some toys on the floor.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 1:22PM
Monica Ellison
There are many things that I love about my home. I love the location as it is very close to shopping and dining. I also love that it is a (3) story brick row house. The windows are what sold me on my home. My living space is on the 2nd story and I get tons of natural light.
10 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 2:23PM
intoit
I love that my house is small, energy efficient and has tons of windows in every room. It is a delight all year round.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 2:51PM
0825sam
Location - walking distance to everything.
In the house itself - our staircase and fireplace - they are they only things left with real historic value
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 2:58PM
Sunday
Small footprint, foam insulation, triple pain windows and this view!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 3:01PM
dclostboy
Single best feature seems to be the same in every house I've owned...my pups :)
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 3:03PM
dianahb
Well, okay-- if we're going there, dclostboy-- then -- yes-- I would have to say, too, my border collie-- for sure. ;)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 3:22PM
solincia
I love our home! Single best thing is that it's ours. We lived in an old city apartment for years, then rented a home for 6 years, and finally after 13 years I have a dishwasher and central air again! We spend most of our time on the screened porch.. It's probably our favorite room in our 2500 sqft house! We have a lovely wooded backyard, and even had two fawns born back there this year!
14 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 4:10PM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I love my house (which my husband and I designed and rebuilt). I love the radiant heat in the floors, the American Clay walls, the steam oven in the kitchen, the shower in the master bathroom, my easy access closet and the fact that anyone in a wheel chair can enter our house unassisted and help out in the kitchen safely and efficiently.

Contemporary Whole House Remodel · More Info
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 4:15PM
Kari D
Location-the house is on a 9 acre wooded lot, but it's in the city! 5 minutes from the store, shopping, and restaurants, and somehow we have no neighbors. So we have lots of privacy, but we're not isolated.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 6:26PM
libratravel
Loving the layout of our new home...two bedrooms upstairs for the two kids, two bedrooms downstairs. Everyone has their own space and no bedroom walls are shared (a pet peeve of mine). I also love that the kitchen/family room are removed from the bedrooms so sleepers get peace at night and in the morning. And, did I mention the walls of windows in my kitchen that overlooks my level, .5 acre yard. We searched high and low for this house, for over 2 years and finally found it this summer (Ps, having a location 15 minutes from either set of parents also helps sweeten the deal!)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 6:42PM
armygirl1987
I actually bought my house because of the huge backyard. I saw the potential if I wanted to add an addition in the future and it was important that my dogs have space to run around.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 6:49PM
shakerjaebs
My favorite part of our home is its history. Built in 1925 it has a unique design inside and out with lots of original details - metal casement windows, built-in bookcases and art tiles.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 6:50PM
Supreme Floor Company
My kitchen.. room for my kids and husband to lounge while im cooking..homy with lotx windows
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 8:30PM
oakleyspanky
The view from our lakefront home we just bought and renovated...and a whole new lifestyle of boating, kayaking, hot tubbing...major stress relief just by coming home from work...a holiday everyday!
33 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 8:45PM
Iyare I
I love almost everything about my house but I really love the welcoming feeling I get when I pull into my driveway. I love the fact that my house is differentiated from the other houses in my subdivision because of my swing driveway. I do admit to a love hate relationship with my swing driveway tho(im a horrible driver and pulling out of my garage is sometimes a pain LOL). I love the fact that when I pull up at night, I can see my chandelier from the outside :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 14, 2013 at 8:51PM
midmodfan
The single best thing and the reason why we bought our house is the atrium garden, totally secluded and private.
Best things in everyday life are a new skylight in the master bath, a boiling water tap in the kitchen and a washlet in the second bath.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 15, 2013 at 2:10AM
figosmom
We feel in love with the pool and yard. Very private and We have great parties here in the summer.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 15, 2013 at 6:10AM
cynamonc
#1 the view. #2 location.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 15, 2013 at 6:28AM
Barbara Stymiest-Colvin
The mature trees, the location.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 15, 2013 at 3:40PM
Anne
Radiant in floor heat, cooking with gas and my neighbours.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 3:45PM
bjens
I love reading these comments. Nothing like a house that you love to come home to!
My favorite feature is the view. We live in Southern California and in the winter we can see the snow-covered mountains 70 miles away. We can also see the sun set over the ocean. The house is five miles from the beach, but our hilltop home gets wonderful breezes and beautiful views.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 3:50PM
mrs1916
A master bedroom big enough for my king size bed - essential to my happy marriage!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 12:26AM
chookchook2
No landlord.
9 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 12:46AM
The view
16 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 1:54AM
rosecafe
Well now I'm thinking I like other peoples homes, there are some super views being exhibited here. But being sailors, our water view is the prime factor that influenced our decision to buy. Plus the two minute walk to our quiet friendly crime free town, the sunsets and sound of the waves washing up the sand are a bonus.
20 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 3:21AM
michele1975
It's modest, but more importantly, it's paid for.
15 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 7:27AM
dianahb
Wow-- rosecafe-- where is your crime-free gorgeous town located?? What a view.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 7:29AM
luckylyn5
When we bought the house about 9 months ago, the best thing for me was the location (established safe neighborhood near where I grew up, tree-lined street, short commute to work) and best thing for my husband was the huge garage (2 car plus work space plus laundry, 12 foot ceiling with 6 foot attic storage above).

Now my favorite thing is the kitchen that we remodeled. Doubled the size, put in all the bells & whistles that I have always wanted, picked out all the finishes.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 7:34AM
beth128
We bought our house because its lakefront, we did a total gut and a couple of additions, plus it is paid for. I love my home.
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 7:35AM
indianpatti
Love our stacked stone fireplace! Can use real wood or gas .. use it a lot here in c-c-cold Wisconsin!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 7:46AM
sstarr93
The atrium, which lines up with a huge stone wall that goes off into the Vermont woods on either side of the house.
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 7:47AM
A huge deck over looking a creek and city lights in Orange County, Ca.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 7:48AM
I think a trip to visit all these wonderful homes is in order!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 8:24AM
Nellie
I created a Man Cave for my husband. TO ALL NON-SPORTS enthusiasts out there...it is a perfect way to get the man of the house in his OWN room and you might enjoy a movie in - say - your family room. My husband loves flat screes...we have four...two of which are in the Man Cave with one huge one for viewing and one behind the bar. O.K. by me....it's called FREEDOM!!!!!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 8:44AM
iluvdiy
The history - the earliest portion c.1799; addition c.1872. I fell in love with the almost floor to ceiling windows in the parlor and all the historic details, including high ceilings.
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 8:56AM
nhbaskets
I love our kitchen that we remodeled 4 years ago. Lived with the builders grade kitchen for 15 years and hated every minute. Now we have a warm, inviting and extremely functional dream kitchen. Pinch myself everyday!
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:02AM
Deanna Johnson
The thing I liked most about this cute 1945 cottage was its location in the historic district, within sight of where I work. After possession, while steaming off several layers of wallpaper, I discovered that the man who hung the wallpaper had signed & dated the wall underneath in one of the bedrooms - June 1936! A few months later, as a small laundry area was being added to the area at the back door, the builder discovered another verification of the house's age. When they removed some of the cedar shakes to add on the laundry room, another man had signed the wood underneath & dated it - May 1936.
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:05AM
Darcy Daviduck
My entryway railing. I had the newel posts made for me, and did the install/build of the railing myself. When we approach the entryway the railing lights up as it is on a wireless motion activated circuit.
I love the look, and the safety of not having to find a light switch is great. Now when I visit other homes, the railings are just, well, railings.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:07AM
747.2fra
Wood stove. Love that intense eat in the winter!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:12AM
shelleyuk
The setting. We are in the middle of Robin Hood country, Sherwood Forest. No neighbours to be seen, great views and fantastic for adventures for two small boys.
20 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:17AM
Beautiful Shelley! No jokes about Robin Hood???
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:29AM
beverlynn
The one single thing I love about my home is that it's MINE all MINE!! I've been in it 3 years, was 53 years old, first time buying a house on my own! It's a 1700 sq. ft. townhouse that had everything on my wish list. I fell in love with the first floor layout; combined LR/DR with cut out to kitchen and the kitchen is open to a two story den. The two main selling points were #1, the kitchen, and #2 I could put my 7 and 1/2 foot Christmas tree in the den!!
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:47AM
defever
We built a 1000' sq. ft. ADU (alternate dwelling unit) onto my father-in-law's house so the exterior had to match the existing, which was a plain modular :-(. However, having lived on a boat for 10 years (yes, rosecafe, it is the BEST life!), we knew exactly what we wanted/missed. Luckily I have a talented hubby who was able to make it all happen. Cathedral ceilings, white woodwork and butter yellow walls give our small space a large, welcoming feel. Hardwood floors throughout; tile warmer under the bathroom floor and a small private space off the bedroom for my quilting!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:52AM
beverlynn
More pics!
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:53AM
claudsly
Love my new condo galley kitchen
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:58AM
Faye
The view! On top of the mountain, North Alabama!
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 1:25PM
susan148
I love watching the wildlife passing by.
28 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 1:30PM
smile2486
I am a Musician so, I like my music studio/ recording studio
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 2:09PM
smile2486
See?
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 2:11PM
xiosin
I love my home location facing a preserve and the river, its very large windows to enjoy the views from almost everywhere in the house and the dock which is constant source of amusement for my dogs
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 2:51PM
designgirl178
My huge arch over my snack bar which sits between my living room and kitchen. It opens up my rooms and is the first thing visitors see when they come into my home. Very impressive, my builder strongly questioned it but did a magnificent job putting it in. Love it!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:35PM
tvctoronto
@susan148: That is amazing! Where in heaven's name do you live?!
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:51PM
susan148
@tvctoronto Believe it or not, 40 miles from Manhattan in New Jersey-the northwestern corner of the state. Not everyone lives off an exit of the NJ Turnpike.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 5:32PM
Denita
Sounds like you are by Sussex County or Warren. It's beautiful country there...in the Garden State :)
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 5:40PM
missrei
For a home built in the early 80's, the floor plan is open, especially in the gathering areas - kitchen, living room, big basement. We moved here just as our kids were entering toddlerhood - the open plan allows us to evolve with the family dynamic, we just create new furniture groupings, use colors, paint, lighting, textures to designate areas, and make it work for us.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 6:54PM
susan148
Denita-Close. northwest Morris County
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 7:43PM
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
My pretty little kitchen, my backyard and deck.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 8:30PM
number30
Location. We are a five minute walk from everywhere and at the same time we have a big backyard. Our two young kids love to explore the woods. (You can see the start of our playhouse in the corner.)
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 8:53PM
condomary
Location. Small, quiet, adults only building on a hill overlooking a golf course and a view of Lake Ontario.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:05PM
lydialou22
I love that it has lots of windows-and high ceilings. Living room has 3 full-length windows on each side. And out the back, you see the lake.
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:51PM
lydialou22
And the clerestory windows above the living room windows, so I can see the sky above me.
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:53PM
njmomma777
My homes best feature is all the windows that run the length of the house on the side facing our yard. I fell in love with the home after seeing all the light that comes in and the beautiful view of the yard. I appreciate it every day.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 5:40AM
cocoanlace
Two words: Windows! Loft! I was smitten with the eyebrow windows that allow me to watch the clouds float by during the day and the bright stars at night. Then there is the upstairs loft. Something romantic about it. I found that the loft is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter to actually spend much time up there. But I still love the idea of it.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 11:36AM
printesa
@susan148, wow..that bear is something:) I get to see deers almost daily , but not bears. While I like to see the deers, I have a problem with them when it comes to my tulips in my front yard. We fenced in our backyard (I need my garden:)) I also like the sunsets I get to see from my kitchen
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 12:27PM
huttonxs3
If we ever finish remolding..my entire house. ;)
    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 12:32PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
9' high ceilings with 4' high windows in our basement and vaulted ceiling in the kitchen-great room!
    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 12:46PM
designideas4me
wow... this thread is like lifestyles of the rich and famous. I love my haeted pool and my plants. The pool was 90 to 100 degrees all summer from may til oct. Its a 38 foot lap pool with a gazebo at the shallow end for privacy. I always feel like I am entering a different world when I step out the back door on a hot day and into the soothing water with pulsating jets of hot water while I look at the palm trees and roses and listen to the birds. I love the reflection of the sun on the water and the amazing pattern of the waves.
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 1:08PM
edithsmom
Michele1975...I agree. Three years ago, we were fortunate to buy our small well-built condo on Cape Cod within one block of our town's Main Street. We love it and are thankful each day to be here and HERE.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 1:19PM
dianahb
designideas4me: I'm so envious. And just look at that water. I always said if I put in a pool, it would have to be a lap-swimming pool-- though that temperature sounds a bit steamy for serious lap swimming. I'm thinking you're spending a lot of time at the shallow end of the pool under that gazebo. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 1:32PM
rosecafe
Dianahb, thanks for your comment, between you and us, our crime free town's at a secret location on Aotearoa ... just don't tell anyone.... : )
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 2:48PM
mommickey
Love some of these homes. So blessed. Love the deer at your door. Priceless. They run behind my fence in my yard and my dog tries to chase them . I live across from a state park. Great for biking etc. fireworks for holidays. Great schools, low to no crime. I love my Kitchen. I just can"t say this is my dream home and neither can my husband. I can say I am happy to own a home as so many around us have lost million dollar homes economy etc. My dream home would be ocean view, bay view, or huge lot. None of which I have. I am grateful for what I have. I just long for my dream at times But don't alot of us.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 2:57PM
gypsyrose17
I love a lot of things about our home, a typical 1962 ranch which had been remodeled recently, but what reeled me in was the curb appeal, curved driveway, butterfly trees, lilac tree, bulbs, orange and lemon tree in front yard were blooming....total assault on the senses. Then when I finally saw the back yard, with the cherry and apple trees, rose and lilac bushes, dogwood, etc. I was in love. My husband (who wanted a condo) said "If you want the yard you take care of it." So I do, I actually love to garden, have re-done portions of both front and back, planted over a thousand more bulbs, started edging out the grass with blue star creeper, but my very favorite part is when I refuse to let him help .... that's because he only wants to help if it involves power tools.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 3:00PM
bungalowmo
The fact that it was a 99% original, unmolested 1916 craftsman bungalow. All the original lighting, glass doorknobs with brass escutcheons, the original wavy glass windows & unpainted woodwork & original wood floors. I saw that porch & fell in love!!

The outside pic was shortly after I purchased. The yard looks so different these days!
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 3:02PM
gypsyrose17
bungalowmo....awesome home...craftsman homes are jewels, and you didn't even have to remove layers of paint from the woodwork...truly had some good luck finding it!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 3:13PM
dianahb
Thanks, rosecafe, and for the additional photos. That is truly stunning. I've never been to NZ (?)-- but hope to get there one day. (And you can trust me; I won't mention the whereabouts to anyone.) :)

And bungalowmo-- you were amazingly fortunate. I can't believe someone had the smarts and good taste to leave that beautiful home intact-- almost unheard of these days. That's always been my favorite style house. Beautiful.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 3:37PM
bungalowmo
Thanks gypsyrose and dianahb!! I knew as soon as I saw it, it was the one for me. Just over 1300 sq ft. 2 bedrooms & bath upstairs, down is LR, DR Kit, office plus a big basement. Double lot & they built the house right in the center. In an Historic Virginia town & I can walk to almost anything.

7 years later & I still love it! Few more shots. (I need new photos bad!)
First Christmas, dining room (still have table, got other chairs), Maggie Moo with a bee on the back steps & Sweetie Pie in the flower bed!
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 4:00PM
Comforts of Home
Favorite feature is location...rural, 5 minutes from work, great neighbors and 6 acres of woods:)
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 4:36PM
beverlynn
Reading all of the comments and pictures about nature reminded me of something! My townhouse building backs up to a 6 acre private property. This time of year, I often see deer at dusk walking behind my house!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 5:24PM
designideas4me
Diana..LOL... thanks for the comment. Yes you are so right. I love to swim late at night when the sun isnt in my eyes and I can look up at the stars. I let it cool down to 85 to 90 when I feel like swimming more than basking in the Ja-poozzi
    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 9:40PM
aiga
We checked it out because of location and floor plan, but fell in love with a view - here is a picture of winter, summer and autumn
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 12:23PM
syncope
I love that it reflects me and makes me smile every time I walk through it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 12:42PM
knoxranch
It wasn't love at first sight. After a year of looking for our first home it was what we could afford and it met my one requirement...a fireplace...plus 3 more to boot! Twenty years later we are still living in our 1300 square foot starter home. I have come to appreciate the all stone facade (low maintenance), access to amenities, schools and proximity to a nature trail. We have remodeled the kitchen and the one bathroom. When I get frustrated with the lack of a master bedroom and on suite, the little closets, small rooms and the other limitations I sometimes scour the house-for-sale ads. Then I discover how few homes have 4 fireplaces and a kitchen and bath created especially for my taste and I start to fall in love with my little 50s ranch.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 12:44PM
stilllearning1
What beautiful homes and views and yards! What I like most about my house is the veranda. This is where I go Spring through Fall, with a book and a glass of or cup of. I live in a neighborhood where everyone walks their dogs. And you might not know your neighbors name but you know their dogs name. So I get to visit with people as they walk by. And they sometimes come up on the porch for a ice tea. It don't get no better.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 8:12PM
mojo59
The view from the deck.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 8:18PM
monika2024
Backs up to preserved open space..no neighbors!! : D
1 Like    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 8:25PM
grobby
It's the view. My husband chose this lot in '96 and assured me that we would would be fine because I'm the conservative one and felt the price was very steep - and it was.
He chose the most beautiful lot in the development, and we began to dream about building and we did in '03. This is a second home, so just waiting for Spring, want to see the Redbuds in bloom, catch up with the neighbors, say "hello" to Fred, our catfish that lives under the dock and relax and watch the sailboats. We're lucky enough to be across from a small marina. You know what they say, " if you're lucky enough to live at the lake, you're lucky enough!
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 8:27PM
alleykat6093
There are a lot of reasons why I love our home. Our yard, however, is the main reason we decided to purchase it. We share a private drive with one other home but because of the way our house is angled on our lot our yard is very private. It's almost an acre and it backs up to a park so no neighbors behind us. We love it.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 8:31PM
happyasaclam
Love that grobby! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 8:33PM
okdokegal
It was affordable, it was owner carry, and it was available. It had a few features we found out weren't... but. It WAS free and clear until the joist issue showed up but we'll survive and get it back to what we want and need again.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 12:58PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I love my entry. Opens up to French doors that look through to the backyard. I love to see my roses in the backyard when I come home.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 1:02PM
Nellie
I love my backyard...you go to the deck through French doors to the deck...from there you can reach the brick patio via to descending stair cases....then turn to the right down three wide steps to our pool which has about twenty floating toys in it....and you are able to sit in an area which is all Adirondack furniture. The pool is surrounded with maintenance free trees, vines, grasses, etc. We eat on the deck....but can seat at different tables an easy 16.
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 8:05AM
Belle Chaise
The view.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 8:14AM
FeelsLike Heaven
We bought our vacation rental house for two reasons the wall of windows and the huge deck that they look onto. I know I chose two favorites - sometimes it hard to pic just one favorite. :)
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 5:04PM
Cathy DiVello
The original woodwork from 1890
6 Likes    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 5:22PM
dianecourbat
From my 12th floor condo, I can see for miles out over the city. Glorious sunsets, rainbows and on the 4th of July I can see 4 fireworks displays from various locations in the city.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 10:45AM
Ryan Basinger
The top reason would be the layout/floorplan. The front is symmetrical, but when you walk past the foyer, the majority of the house is set on diagonal lines. Very few of the rooms are perfect rectagles all other rooms have an angled wall or offset. We loved this type of layout as all of the other houses we looked at had predictable rectangular floor plans. We also love the large windows throughout, 10/12 ft ceilings, covered patio, large backyard, the fact that it is 4 beds/3 baths all on one floor, and that the master is on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen, family rm and all other bedrooms. We bought this house because it was a foreclosure (no carpet, wild paint colors, no kitchen cabinet doors, no light fixtures) and is more house than we would have been able to afford otherwise. It was a diamond in the rough and continues to be a work in progress, but that is the fun part! We just finished a diy kitchen remodel and started another bathroom remodel this week!
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 7:52AM
okdokegal
Owner carry; large large lot, small greenhouse, carport, garage of sorts. We needed a place to land, we could swing this. No huge crushing soulsucking crater-debt of a mortgage. A few years, it's ours. Absolutely great little town, a gem.

It was all ours until the joists failed in Dec, I have three years of paying off the finance package but. I will end up with a place more suited to me. Is it my dream, no. Is it what I'm making it? Yes.

Fantasy Houzz this will never be, but it is and will be, home. That's the important part, it's home. It's mine, it's home. Me, my hubby, my furrkids, my finnies.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 9:58AM
chrisgfr
This kitchen is beautiful! It is exactly like I want mine to look. Thanks for making my vision come true! I have been drawing it and trying to explain it to my carpenter/cabinet maker and here it is for him to see what it will look like when finished. Yippee!
    Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 5:29AM
POLL: What's your dream bathroom feature?
If you could add anything to your master bathroom,...
Houzz Polls
Your kitchen's best feature?
What is the single best feature of your kitchen? Is...
Favorite home feature?
What's your favorite home feature in your home? Take...
Jeannie Nguyen
What's your home's single WORST feature?
We've heard the best, now... what is the single worst...
What luxury feature would you like to have in your new or current home
Luxury feature does not necessarily have to mean expensive....
By Design Custom Home Concierge
Are body jets in a shower worth installing?
Remodelling our master bathroom and love the idea of...
Ange Clark
Master Bath Dilema
We are remodeling our home and the master bath layout...
Lindsey Kay
Where to put house numbers and mailbox?
I need to put the house numbers up ( I thought about...
Kitana DeRosa
Colored ceiling in all white bath?
We have until Monday to decide how to paint this room....
domesticimpostor
Mirror choice
Another design dilemma – mirror design. Criss-cross, one...
VANGUARD development