Where to put a sideboard
sbak24
This dining room is 12x13. I have ordered a black rectangular table and plan to use off-white upholstered chairs. I'm just not sure whether to put a console/sideboard along the long wall or use something smaller on the walls beside the doors. It opens up to a living room. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
bigbunnie
I would put the sideboard along the larger wall just because there seems to be more room for it there. Putting a smaller one limits your storage as well as make that area look a little cramped.
November 14, 2013 at 3:21PM     
You haven't said what size the table is. Your rug should be 4 feet wider and longer than the table yet not run into the wall furniture. That might help you determine things. If you can empty the room and use blue painter's tape on the floor you can "vision" how it will all fit in.
November 14, 2013 at 3:48PM     
Teri Waugh, Ethan Allen, Wexford, PA
I agree with putting the sideboard on the larger wall. This way you create a focal point and blabance out the table.This also gives you the oportunity to put a great piece of artwork above it.
November 14, 2013 at 3:50PM     
pcmom1
Wait until the table is in and have a dinner after that. See if guests have plenty of room to pull out chairs.

My own dining room (just measured is only ten and a half feet wide), I have placed corner cabinets in three corners and a small round table in the other. On the long wall I have a one foot deep bookshelf. But then, my table is pretty narrow.
Dining Room 1
Dining Room 2
November 14, 2013 at 4:11PM     
sbak24
The table is 42x72. I took out a sideboard that I just didn't like. There is room for it, just wondering if it would look better somewhere else. Now is the time to decide before I buy a new one! I've been remodeling for most of the year and have found myself agonizing over every detail.
November 14, 2013 at 4:15PM   
sbak24
Oh and the rug is 9x11. I am getting a new one as this doesn't look nice with the colors in the adjoining room. It will be the same size though.
November 14, 2013 at 4:18PM   
pcmom1
If there is room for it, I would go for it! Have you sought help for the furniture store where you purchased the table? They often have very good folks to help.
November 14, 2013 at 4:19PM     
sbak24
I did but got some bad info once and wasted $2000 so a bit reluctant now. By the way- I love the corner cabinets in the photo you posted. Very pretty!
November 14, 2013 at 4:23PM   
hbmiller
I would wait until you get the table, chairs and rug in the room. It seems you are going a little more contemporary so you might not want to fill the room up
November 14, 2013 at 4:28PM     
happyasaclam
Do you have a leaf in it now? If you will not be using the table on a daily basis, you can remove the leaf and it's possible the sideboard will fit. I have this same issue. I just removed the leaf and put the two additional chairs in the opposite corners of the room out of the way.
November 14, 2013 at 4:31PM     
sbak24
Would love to wait but have been working on this for a while and having an event here in January. Hubby's got me under pressure so need to make decision!
If I were to do the sideboard on the long wall and maybe put a corner wine cabinet on the wall opposite the window, would that look too crowded?
November 14, 2013 at 4:31PM   
Teri Waugh, Ethan Allen, Wexford, PA
I would start with the sideboard and enjoy the event so you can see how the traffic flows in the room. I think finishing the room with draperies and accessories will help create a cozy feel.
I don't see a photo of the the wall opposite the window to be able to tell you if it would be too crowded. Sometimes less is more.
November 14, 2013 at 4:39PM     
bellesum
I am assuming the 42 inch width would be parallel to the 12 feet wall and 72 inch length would be parallel to the 13 feet wall. Calculations show that the appropriate place for the sideboard is between the longer side of the table and the longer 13 feet wall as there would be a 51 inch space between the table and the wall. You need about 3 feet distance between table and sideboard for a comfortable clearance for chairs and walkway. That leaves 15 inch depth for a sideboard but I think you can go up to max 19 inch depth.

Distance between the shorter side of table and the 12 feet wall is about 42 inch which is too narrow for a side board. Besides, you only have 1 feet of clear floor space between rug and wall.
November 14, 2013 at 5:14PM   
If the sideboard goes on the long wall a mirror can't be aligned to reflect the chandy. I'd want to lower the chandy just a tad and put the sideboard and mirror opposite the window to reflect the chandy and the view. If it weren't for the wainscot, I'd suggest a floating sideboard like this. I don't find any pix using one with the wainscot. Would you be interested in removing it to enhance the more contemporary feeling you're going for?

November 15, 2013 at 8:02AM   
pcmom1
Don't let hubby put you under pressure to make a decision. Sometimes they just want things done too quickly! Furniture is expensive and you will be living with it a long, long time!

And for your January event, I imagine that space to circulate around the table may be more important than whether you have a sideboard! I would get some 96 inch long drapes up (two sets on each side for a full rich look) to cozy up room.

To fill the wall for the event, maybe steal art from another room?

Also think about lighting for a night time event (see Deco's photo). Maybe a couple of uplights sitting on floor with a plant in front to cast great shadows.
Corbett Lighting
The Upward Bound House by Vanessa De Vargas
November 15, 2013 at 2:45PM   
Where to put a sideboard
This dining room is 12x13. I have ordered a black rectangular...
Please help me pick a exterior color for my log cabin!
I've had it for a year and I still have to figure out...
Mega problem!
Need advice on art for my fireplace wall. It is a...
New house in the Caribbean. West Facing. Looking for Shade ideas
We are building a new house in the caribbean which...
Help me decorate my dining room. I'm stuck!
I'm trying to finish up my dining room & I can't decide...
Need suggested material for a "photo wall"
We are remodeling our 1400 sq/ft condo and I wanteed...