lighting and other suggestions for my kitchen!
policegirl402
Below are pictures of my kitchen in my recently purchased house. There is recessed lighting throughout the ceiling. Above the island is a pendant light and a small flush mounted light above the table. I am looking to change those two light fixtures. I am thinking both fixtures in a satin nickel finish to match the hardware on the doors?? or would Oil rubbed bronze look better? Also, what style is this kitchen? traditional?? I am looking to maker it more transistional/contemporary and would be open to any suggestions for the room! Possibly a round rug under the table? thoughts on window tretments? The wall color is BM Prescott Green. ( Please ignore the paper on the windows...Painter just finished painting the trim!)
policegirl402
here is the rest of the kitchen
1 Like   November 14, 2013 at 4:28PM
pcmom1
Cute kitchen, although they did make it a little difficult for you with the placement of that air return in the ceiling. And that one flush light.

Think I would remove that flush light and just put in another recessed light. Then table placement won't be an issue.

A rug you love for under the table is a great place to start.

1 Like   Thanked by policegirl402    November 14, 2013 at 4:45PM
Marc Russell Interiors
All of the lighting fixtures should be brushed. The pendant needs to be swapped out for something more contemporary. All of the pulls should be replaced as well. I would opt for a new contemporary dining set to scale. The one in the photo looks small. Don't know how practical a rug would be with so much traffic around the fridge. If privacy is not an issue, I would go with just cornice boxes. Good luck!
1 Like   Thanked by policegirl402    November 14, 2013 at 5:05PM
policegirl402
thanks Marc! Can I go more contemporary with cabinets that seem, to me, more traditional?
0 Likes   November 14, 2013 at 5:18PM
policegirl402
Any other suggestions?
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 10:25AM
Mahmood Al_Turani
lighting under cabinets, and the crown is very classic or traditional if you remove it or replace it with something like those, what about painting the cabinets to black ?
Amara
Modern Kitchen
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 10:48AM
Mahmood Al_Turani
also replace the polls as said above
0 Likes   Thanked by policegirl402    November 22, 2013 at 10:49AM
policegirl402
thanks for your help! There is undercabinet lighting already. Also, the cabinets are about 4 yrs old and were expensive so I am not ready to paint them yet . Can you post a picture of a pull that would work? I feel the room is so traditional that I am not sure what to put with it for the pulls?
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 10:58AM
Looks like hardware is brush nickel stay in that. Roman shades on windows color of walls but darker. I would not do rug in kitchen. It leans towards traditional.
0 Likes   Thanked by policegirl402    November 22, 2013 at 10:58AM
Mahmood Al_Turani
yeah the cabinets seam classy but not your style neither mine too :)
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 11:05AM
policegirl402
I know Mahmood...I'm trying to make it my style :)
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 11:14AM
unwantedadvice
@policegirl402, nice kitchen. I agree with pcmom and take out the flush mount light but not sure I would put recessed light there or not. Seems to me there is enough light in kitchen already, judging by your pics and the light is not on. Just cover opening with a solid plate, same color as ceiling.

Are you willing to get a new table? Agree your existing one seems a bit small and it looks like a larger one would fit. Also agree that rug might get a bit worn with foot traffic in and out with fridge there. Interesting placement. Also, is that one cabinet door by fridge staying off or are you using open for cookbooks, decor items?
0 Likes   Thanked by policegirl402    November 22, 2013 at 11:47AM
policegirl402
Thanks Unwantedadvice! I am open to getting a new table. good suggestion. Do you think I could use the opening from the flush mount light for a hanging light fixture that I can then swag over the table? It feel like I need some kind of hanging lighting...more for decoration than actual lighting. Regarding the open kitchen cabinet, the former home owner had a custom wine cooler in there...so no door available.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 12:10PM
unwantedadvice
Yes, swag light over, good idea. No way your table could be centered under it anyway. I was going to suggest another round table to break up all the straight lines but not sure how much room there is to move about in if larger round table is brought in. Might have to go with square or rectangular. No door on that cabinet is not a big deal especially if you keep cookbooks, baskets there for decoration. I wonder if other door should be taken off as well. More uniformity.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 12:38PM
unwantedadvice
Answering my own last question. Leave other door as you would also be losing drawer, not sure if that can be sacrificed or not.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 12:40PM
policegirl402
@unwantedadvice.... I appreciate your advise. I think I could fit a round table that was bigger in there and still be comfortable. I agree to keep the other door on because inside the other cabinet are drawers that pull out.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 1:31PM
unwantedadvice
Well, you are welcome about my advise. I am glad larger round table will work and that other door will stay on. Keep on asking questions and I will reply as I hope others will as well. Houzz is such fun!
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 1:55PM
policegirl402
I like your screen name... Unwantedadvise!! How about the pulls on the doors? There were several suggestions to change them but I'm not sure to what?? I would like to go more modern but with such traditional cabinets.... I find myself confused as to what would look good.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 2:13PM
fos5
Never swag a light over, accents the fact the light is in the wrong place. Call an electrician, they can move it. Purchase the right table for the space then position your hanging light fixture over the center of the table.. Under, upper cabinet lighting is excellent in any style kitchen design, you will see when preparing food etc. Use metal that mimic the stainless steel fridge, good to keep your metals the same or similar , on your cabinetry even your door knobs, hinges. Choose a contemporary style even tho your cabinets and crown moulding is traditional. Using a more contemporary table & chairs, hanging light fixture over the table, cabinet , and door harware you can achieve the transitional look you desire. What are you thinking for your window dressings????
2 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 2:16PM
policegirl402
@fos5...... Great ideas! Thanks for your thoughts! About the light fixture.... You are absolutely right! Unfortunately, we just had another lighting outlet filled and painted that was in between the flush mount and the air conditioner duct work. ( who knows what that was from!) We should have done it then . It is never to late to get it right though! I do have under cabinet lighting already.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 2:32PM
policegirl402
Windows.... Not sure. I definitely need privacy but some light to filter in also. I am also running out of money!! Custom treatments are out until next spring/summer. Any inexpensive ideas to get me by for the next 6-9 months?
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 2:36PM
policegirl402
Your thoughts on 2 in faux wood blinds??
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 2:36PM
unwantedadvice
@policegirl402, fos5 is correct about the swag light. A bit dated I suspect! And can be easily changed. Other comments are spot on from fos5. Do try to purchase more contemporary pulls, etc. especially since you are trying for a more contemporary look for your kitchen. Will look fine with your cabinets, keep them simple. I am not good at all about pulling pics, etc. for you to look at but many others are.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 2:40PM
fos5
I like the paper ones you have now, Ha Ha just kidding. Check out Home Depot, and some catalogs, JC Penny, may be reasonably priced. You might require soft dressings to balance all the hard surfaces in your kitchen and to absorb sound. Anything you like post it so we can see your options.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 3:00PM
policegirl402
I was thinking 2 in faux wood blinds mainly because they would let alot of light in and give me the privacy I need. I do like your idea of something softer.... Like a roman blind. But the roman blind seems like a pain everyday to open and close! Am I being too lazy?!?
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 3:19PM
0825sam
Do you have any inspiration kitchens whose lighting you like? There are so many options. It could be an opportunity to add some bold contemporary lighting and change the whole look - but not everyone means the same thing when they say contemporary
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 3:35PM
0825sam
This is what I mean - cool light in an otherwise pretty traditional kitchen

2 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 3:37PM
policegirl402
@sam0705... Wow! Interesting! That may be too modern... But I like where your going! I recently put this in the nearby hallway and love it!
2 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 3:48PM
policegirl402
Thank you to everyone for their comments! It is really helping me see my kitchen differently!
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 3:49PM
sbrustein
I love a rug under a kitchen table. It softens the look, anchors the table and defines the space. A busy rug hides stains well. I would suggest a glass table . It will take up much less space visually. Here is what I have. My taste and home are traditional
1 Like   Thanked by policegirl402    November 22, 2013 at 3:56PM
fos5
policegirl402 The faux wood blinds are fine, are easil operation for light and privacy. Maybe a stationary fabric romans hung about 2 or 3 inches from the ceiling crown moulding, will give you a finish look without the trouble of putting them up and down. Re chandelier, if you buy something similar to the one shown above in your hall , might be a good idea over the kitchen table but a larger size than the hall. Hang about 32 to 34 inches from the top of your table. Chandelier size can be 1 foot smaller than your dining table unless your existing table is too small for the room. There are a couple of ways to figure out the correct size for your chandelier. Go for it.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:06PM
fos5
sam0705 That is a fun light. I assume it is on a dimmer to cut down on the glare. Chandeliers are really a personal choice but should always be complimentary to your room and marry to the rest of your house. A little off the beaten path creates interest in a good way.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:14PM
policegirl402
@fos5... Ty!! I recently saw this chandelier at a lighting store and fell in love with it but didn't think I had any place for it. Maybe now I do!
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:15PM
fos5
YES, how big around (circumference) is it? Notice the pattern it creates. Do you have this pattern anywhere else in your house, such as in fabric, rugs, on cabinetry?. It is nice to repeat a strong pattern like this. A little continuity is good.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:19PM
policegirl402
Not sure of the size of it... I will go back an get the specifics. I get what you are saying about repeating the pattern.... Not sure I have anything in the kitchen that pattern. (I have a rug in my living room that pattern.) if the size is right of this fixture.... Should I get it?? Then incorporate the patten in kitchen?
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:24PM
Francis G
It sounds like you're set on going transitional/contemporary. Here are a few ideas:
1) get consistent on the metal finishes (cabinet knobs/pulls, lighting fixtures) - brushed stainless to match the fridge and start the lean towards contemporary
2) get a lighting fixture not so much for lighting but rather as a design element (may be cheaper than covering the electrical outlet). Just go to Home Depot or Lowes and find a fixture in brushed stainless (note that some brushed nickel looks like brushed stainless in terms of color) that you like as a design element or decorative feature that is transitional or contemporary looking. Maybe add some color with the pendant
3) replace current pendants with pendants that match the theme - ideally not the same design but complementary
http://174.143.75.250/decorative/pull/128mm-pull-essential-z-for-1-bp9363g10.html http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-1-Light-Hanging-Red-Frosted-Glass-Pendant-ES725BAR/100322964?N=c7nuZ1z0w31aZ1z10h8v#.Uo_0yO93uM8 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Logen-3-Light-Flush-Mount-Red-Wall-Ceiling-Fixture-14673-030/202059997?N=c7nkZ1z0w9gl#.Uo_2Ye93uM8

or if red is not your thing... http://www.homedepot.com/p/BAZZ-Duo-Leaf-1-Light-Glass-Ceiling-Light-PL3210SB/203301327?N=c7nkZ1z0w9gl%3FNao%3D96%26rpp%3D96#.Uo_2Ju93uM8
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 4:28PM
fos5
already stated.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:57PM
fos5
policegirl402 YES don't buy anything unless you love it.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:58PM
unwantedadvice
@police girl402, wow, you have gotten lots of great ideas since I was on last. Good for you, that is always so helpful when you have so many questions and they pretty much get answered quickly.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 5:36PM
pcmom1
New dining table and hanging light:

How about a long table like this that extends lengthwise towards the working kitchen area? You seem to have a lot of space there.
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 8:07AM
Home Oasis
Try a rug in front of the sink and under the table in your breakfast nook.
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 8:11AM
sstarr
I would remove the awkward-looking crown moulding, and put in a hardwood floor.
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 8:12AM
pcmom1
One thing that really says "traditional" to me are the gridded windows. I would remove the grids if possible. It not, cover them with a window film, simple roll down shades, etc.

Here is a built in bench that could work with the floor heater:
Cary Bernstein Architect Potrero House
KitchenLab
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 8:16AM
Nick Pieper
Now I'm not sure if this would work, but if you weren't a huge fan of all the recessed lighting you could bump up the ceiling and build a crown kind of around the wall. Then use rope lights to do hidden recessed lighting. But again I'm not sure of your budget or what is above the kitchen. Otherwise I think a smaller scale track lighting system (the first picture I attached) over the main cooking area and maybe a small scale (3 bulb) track light above the kitchen (2nd photo). Or you could do some sort of a pendant light over the eating area. Also have you considered any under cabinet lighting?
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 8:21AM
policegirl402
@sstar... Thanks for your thoughts! The white crown molding around the room or the crown above the cabinets?

@pcmom.... Great idea about the grids! I think the come right out.
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 8:28AM
Mahmood Al_Turani
@Policegirl, I guess u didn't notice my suggestion about the crown molding above, I think sstar is talking about the crown molding above the cabinets, it's traditional to no limits!
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 12:23PM
policegirl402
Mahmoud..... Got it!!! Ty!
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 12:28PM
Marilyn Wilkie
I love your wall and trim colors. Very nice.
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 12:42PM
unwantedadvice
@policegirl, I don't think sstar meant the moldings around your cabinets. Perhaps the plain strip of molding around room. Not that noticeable, I think. It is not a heavy one as seen in a more traditional home. If you paint I might address it at that time.
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 3:19PM
pcmom1
Think about painting the ceiling with a glossy paint. It really bounces the light around. You can see the effect if you go up to the top of this thread and see the picture I posted (one with the red rug).
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:15AM
fos5
Gloss paint is only good if the surface you are using it on has absolutely no imperfections. The gloss only emphasizes them.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:20AM
pcmom1
I have glossy paint on my dropped kitchen ceiling (hate that drop!). Maybe if your house is really, really old there are imperfections in the ceiling. I read that warning a lot, but I just don't get it!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:22AM
fos5
pcmom1 Have seen many ceilings that are dry wall, plaster, and wood that would not be condusive to gloss paint. My comment was just a heads up to check the ceiling condition or for than matter, could be mouldings, walls , anything you are considering painting with a gloss finish. Yes I know what you mean, I hate dropped ceilings also.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:49AM
policegirl402
Thanks everyone! I do like the gloss ceiling in the first pic pcmom posted. I could do it... The ceiling is in perfect condition.
2 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 2:51PM
Jeremy Friedel
knobs and pulls from Laurey or MNG Hardware. They're the best! www.laurey.com or www.mnghardware.com
1 Like   Thanked by policegirl402    November 26, 2013 at 1:17PM
Lighting suggestions for a 6 foot island in my kitchen?
I am looking for lighting options for a 6 foot island....
mileshelmich
Need suggestions for lighting over my kitchen sink
what kind of task lighting would look good in this...
cyns1216
Need suggestion for decorative lighting over my kitchen island
We just remodeled our kitchen and now want to add some...
czikmund
Where should I put my shelve? Or any other suggestion on how to decora
I have these yellow shelves holders with a standard...
sullydk
Dish rack for flat granite counter beside under mount farm sink
I am wondering what type of dish rack will work with...
T connerx5
Need help with pet issue!!
We have a relatively new dog who has taken to rubbing...
roxannehenke
Young professional Rustic apt.
Hey guys I have always wanted the rustic/western style...
Max Novess
need reasonably priced kitchen cabinets
Has anyone used cabinets from Costco? They offer Tuscan...
ntg24
Need help deciding kitchen paint color
Which color do you prefer for our kitchen?
Amy Theesfeld