tv over fireplace....
Mary Chieppor
My contractor just finished adding molding to above the fireplace and we plan to put our tv there. I don't think the molding looks right? it reminds me of a buddest temple....help. Any suggests? should i take down the crown molding at the top OR cut it back so it doesn't reveal over the sides?
dclostboy
I think it's the vertical molding that echoes the beam that is causing the issue...it breaks up the flow of the design. Also suggest you tape a page out of the Sunday comics where your tv will hang and see if you even notice.
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 5:58AM
tennisanyone
I think your tv will be too high above the fireplace.
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 6:14AM
Mary Chieppor
THANK you soooo much. That is a GREAT suggestion. i will think about taking that down and possibly adding more molding horizonally across the boxes....to mimic on the fireplace surround.
0 Likes   November 15, 2013 at 6:17AM
indianpatti
I think it looks fine. If you plan on viewing from a reclined position, the height of the TV will be fine.
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 6:17AM
studio3600
I think once you get the tv in it will change the look and simply remove that one small piece of vertical trim. Perfect
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 6:24AM
Mary Chieppor
THANK you Houzzers!!!
0 Likes   November 15, 2013 at 6:30AM
Raelee Emslie
I think once tv is in you will not notice...the tv will be the focal point. The molding/trim will go away.
1 Like   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 6:31AM
JWinteriors
Remove the vertical strip. I would have duplicated the double box detail in place of the single long box.
1 Like   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 6:36AM
dclostboy
JW...I disagree....think the double boxes would look too heavy above the single box that is the tv.
1 Like   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 6:39AM
Mary Chieppor
We went back and forth whether to do one box or 2 boxes. I should have just hired a designer b/c i'm picky and things like this bother me but your comments are saving me!!!!. do you think i should cut back the crown molding at the very top or remove it?
0 Likes   November 15, 2013 at 6:53AM
dclostboy
Don't think you'll notice at the top regardless. IMO, it's a nice detail.
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 7:07AM
sunnydrew
I would leave it as is and put your tv there. I think your tv is going to be way too high and you will get a sore neck. You put a nice piece of art there custom fitted and move the tv to another wall?
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 7:31AM
sunnydrew
I am sorry, but the first thing I thought of when I saw your molding was this logo from the Equal Housing Dept. I guess I look at too many real estate ads.
2 Likes   November 15, 2013 at 7:47AM
Mary Chieppor
Exactly ....it does look like that which is why i think most designs stop the molding and don't take them to the peak on cathedral ceilings
2 Likes   November 15, 2013 at 8:10AM
LB Interiors
Nice detail molding work. I think the finish molding is fine. It looks like a large room. If you are sitting far enough away from the TV. The viewing should be fine.
Brownhouse Design

I also think that if you add crown molding to the rest of the room. it will make a difference, but is not necessary.
2nd Mohican
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 8:19AM
Here's what it looks like if you remove the crown and the vertical strip:
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 9:47AM
leelee
I don't care for the raised rectangle within a rectangle over the TV area. Might look better if the whole inside area was raised instead of just an outline.

Looks like the whole mantel area is too high and then below those boxes within boxes is repeated. Personally, don't care for that look.
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 10:21AM
hoganfour
You might want to think twice about this. We put the TV over the fireplace in our last home - I don't remember the exact height - but it looked much shorter than yours. I ended up hating it - I felt like I was constantly craining my neck up to see the screen.
1 Like   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 10:32AM
Mary Chieppor
groveraxle - THANK you soooo much for the picture. I definitely like that better and might end up painting the top area the wall color instead of white.
0 Likes   November 15, 2013 at 10:45AM
yoboseiyo
i think the crown looks out of place because there doesn't seem to be crown moulding elsewhere in the room, but i can't really tell.

if the crown were continued around the room, it would look lovely, frankly.

though i agree that the single vertical piece is weird and should go. if you can use the smaller moulding to make an inset triangle like the inset boxes, that would be nice, i think.
0 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 10:59AM
traceypred
Personally I think it looks great. I have had my TV up over my fireplace just like that in my last two homes and I love it. You won't have to crane your neck unless you move your furniture right up to the fireplace which is unlikely. Once the TV goes in you won't even think about your indecision on the molding. I love the molding the way it is. Beautiful Mary!
2 Likes   Thanked by Mary Chieppor    November 15, 2013 at 12:20PM
Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?
Mudroom off our garage was linked to kitchen on one...
deborahjarman
Need help for furniture layout for this narrow and small living room.
Guys, m in a dilemma whether i should put up the sofa...
mudigondap
Face lift a fireplace
Any suggestions how to update the fireplace wall by...
tszlag
Need ideas for window treatment
My son( 18 years old) is redecorating his music studio...
sondramartina
Entryway
I'm having trouble deciding what to do in the entryway...
becky4444