Why does everyone detest silk (fake) plants?
kayanee
I'm just curious because it seems as though they are quite the no-no....I realize real plants are better, but if you're like me and don't have a green thumb and also have two cats that would dig in them - is fake really that bad???
dclostboy
So many other things that can be used to fill a space...and they're a pain to dust :)
November 15, 2013 at 5:24pm     
soberg
Real is best AND Fake is not that bad. Artificial silk plants and flowers (well chosen, properly displayed and frequently dusted) are way better than sick or dying real plants or worse yet, water damage to your furniture and floors. So I give you the go-ahead.
November 15, 2013 at 5:27pm     
Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
I am not a fan. They rarely look real and people rarely keep them dusted. Why use fake anything? If you don't have a green thumb, find something else to fill the space.
November 15, 2013 at 5:31pm     
rosecottagehome
I don't mind the odd good quality one, as long as they get a good hosing down now and again and are not center stage, but just a subtle accent blended in with other decor.
November 15, 2013 at 5:49pm   
Judiwithani
It's all about quality and size or they look cheap.
November 15, 2013 at 6:08pm     
vkilpatrick
Fakes are a no-no. But a vase of branches or feathers or grasses is lovely is you are a plant killer. Also there are some plants that are really hard to kill.
I don't really buy the, "no green thumb" excuse. Take care of your plants and they won't die! Most are very easy!
November 15, 2013 at 6:14pm     
touchadream
If you look at pictures of beautiful rooms, the plants are the "jewelry" or accents, the final touches to the room. Given that they are in a highlight position, your eye is often drawn there first. They need to be real, IMO, for that reason. If you look at room photos and put your finger over the plants or flowers, then try to see the decor without them, it often looks much more boring. Fresh flowers/plants are one of the designers best tricks to elevate a room from nice to fabulous. Fake flowers don't accomplish the same thing. You cannot walk by a display of fake flowers and get the same feelings you do when you walk by a real floral display, right? Not possible. This doesn't mean you should never use "silk flowers", just that you should never expect them to be a substitute for the real thing.
November 15, 2013 at 6:22pm     
armygirl1987
I found all these pics on here, I feel that it can be used and used well. If you want something in your house then feel good about it and own it. Are you asking because you are thinking or just in general.

[houzz=Faux Plants and Flowers]
[houzz=Altadena Traditional]
[houzz=Home Staging]
[houzz=Topanga Pre-fab]
November 15, 2013 at 6:37pm   
kimdee24
I have a faux bamboo tree, and a faux hydrangea arrangement on my coffee table. Both are very realistic looking and people are surprised when they find out they're fake. If you go that route, just make sure they are good quality and keep them clean.
November 15, 2013 at 6:41pm     
happyasaclam
I'm a plant lover so I'm always disappointed when I see that someone has used a fake in a great location for a live plant. A fake plant stuck in an inappropriate spot is even worse!
November 15, 2013 at 6:48pm     
armygirl1987
happy-I am a plant lover too but I have fake plants-I have some for my holiday decorations.
November 15, 2013 at 6:50pm   
eightpondfarm
i don't like fake anything. i'd be hard-pressed to name 10 things that are OK in my personal aesthetic that are faux. i have a fake knee so i guess that's my #1. only 9 more to go....
November 15, 2013 at 6:55pm     
eightpondfarm
my biggest "ick" are those fake plants on top of kitchen cabinets.... {{ shudder }}
November 15, 2013 at 6:57pm     
happyasaclam
Oh, now in that area I do too! Real pine wreaths can't stand up to our Texas weather swings. One day it's in the '30's and the next day the '80's. I buy live poinsettias. They have come out with so many beautiful variations in color, I always over do it with those! I tell myself it's ok because I get one for my mother-in-law while I'm at it! lol. They last well into spring if cared for properly.
November 15, 2013 at 7:03pm     
armygirl1987
I have used the same Christmas poinsettias since 2008.
November 15, 2013 at 7:06pm     
happyasaclam
eight, when we were looking at our new house with our realtor, the owner had fake ivy all over the top of the cabinets and trailing down the sides! She had the 1980's ivy wallpaper to go with it. That's the very first thing we did when we moved in - hired a painted and he stripped off that wallpaper and painted.
November 15, 2013 at 7:08pm     
PirateFoxy
I don't mind fakes if they're REALLY GOOD fakes (seriously, some of them you have to look close to tell, and guests probably shouldn't be examining your decor THAT closely on a general basis) and they're kept clean (dusty bunches of ivy over doorways? Just say no - those make me feel like a spider is about to drop on my head.) Also, do some research and find out what kind of real plants would do well in the place where you want to put the fake - something large and difficult to move that needs a lot of sunlight to thrive that's in a room with no windows is just going to look weird to someone who does know about plants and make it more likely they'll be bothered by it instead of seeing it as part of the overall picture of the room.

That said, there are benefits to real plants in the house in terms of air quality, and some of them really are pretty hard to kill - I had an aloe plant in the UK that broke almost all the way through at the stem and then sat on a shady shelf with my in-laws for 8 months before I got it back (it was misplaced during a move) and I re-potted it so that the broken part was under the level of the soil, stuck it on a sunny windowsill, and watered it when I remembered, and the thing THRIVED. I ended up having to prune it back and then I rooted those cuttings in little peat pot things and made ~$40 selling them at a flea market type thing for charity. So if you have places where it will be easy to remember to care for them, I'd keep trying now and then. I kept the aloe plant in my kitchen so I'd remember to water it while I was right there at the sink, and bathrooms are good that way also.

ETA: but really really, if you have fakes, KEEP THEM CLEAN. (Particularly overhead ones. I hate spiders.)
November 15, 2013 at 7:08pm     
happyasaclam
army, do they come back with the same brightly colored bracts? I don't have the patients to keep them in total darkmess for eight hours then uncover them for sixteen, then cover them for eight....... I forget how many week you have to do it. It's just easier to buy them when somebody else has done all that work! Plus, a lot of growers root them in styrofoam and so they don't have time to establish a good root system.
November 15, 2013 at 7:17pm   
happyasaclam
My aloes do very well outside, even through the winter. They really are great for burns.
November 15, 2013 at 7:20pm   
sbrustein
I have 2 fake orchids and a ton of real plants. I had real orchids but they bloom once every never and the plant without a spike of flowers is not very attractive.
I have a lot of friends And family in Florida an all if them have tons of fake plants despite lots of sun and the ability to ave them outside most of the year. What's that about?
November 15, 2013 at 7:24pm   
armygirl1987
I honestly don't have any fake plants in my house, only use them for holiday decorations but at the end of the day it is your house.
November 15, 2013 at 7:26pm     
kimdee24
I have a brown thumb. Seriously. I can't keep a houseplant alive to save myself. I wish I could. Outdoor plants I'm brilliant, but indoors is a lost cause. I got an orchid as a housewarming gift and it was beautiful for a few months, then the bloom fell off and it rotted away. Hopeless. I had a ficus that I nursed back to health and then let almost die over and over until i finally threw it out. My mother was so happy when she came over and saw that it was finally gone!
November 15, 2013 at 7:36pm   
lucyhomedecor
Some spots (dark corners) won't grow real plants, so good fake would be ok. Put real plants where you can & put a few good fake where needed.
November 15, 2013 at 7:38pm   
happyasaclam
lol, kimdee!
November 15, 2013 at 7:40pm   
ellemccafrey
Look around the house, you undoubtedly will find "fake" representing all matters of things, birds, murals,polyester parading as cotton, grass cloth on walls , so give silks their due, they to can fill a void.....
November 15, 2013 at 7:40pm     
work2013shop
Good fake plants can pass when accenting a corner. I would never put a fake plant on a table top or in immediate view. I have seen some amazing fake floral arrangements, however they ran the $300 - $500 range.
November 15, 2013 at 7:53pm     
escolat
There is nothing like the feeling a real plant creates in a well-appointed room. Thriving, live plants are luxurious and relaxing( Especially in cold climates, it is so uplifting to enter a room with a 'growing, living plant during the winter) On a sunny,winter day, you can feel the fresh oxygen in a room with plants! Therefore, live plants are so worth the effort... If you can't grow palms...grow Snake plants( you can't kill them unless you are evil!
My favorite indoor plants are the Lady Palm and Kentia Palm. They create Instant elegance and tropical mood. Easy care too

Artificial plants are sterile and stiff when not styled and shaped( Silk plants say 'Furniture Store Showroom Display'!)....I can usually tell a fake plant immediately. Of course, sometimes fake plants must be used in low light areas with poor growing conditions...although snake plants would survive ,some people just don't like them!
November 15, 2013 at 9:10pm     
escolat
And fake ivy on top of kitchen cabinets is the worst, generic look...when you could easily grow live philodendron or pothos vine!
For a sunny kitchen window, Crown of thorns will bloom all year and doesn't need much attention
November 15, 2013 at 9:15pm     
regina5697
I hate the way fakes smell like moth balls and dust. That's my 2 cents...
November 16, 2013 at 10:31pm   
Why is everyone so negative about top mounted sinks on a granite top?
I want to use a top mounted sink in a remodel of guest...
Did Everyone See The House Plant that "PLAYS DEAD" when Tickled?
Fun for Halloween and all yearround the TickleMe Plant...
Fake plants?
Are fake plants/trees ever okay for decor?
Need something tall for corner, but can't use fake plants!
I'm told I need something tall that won't distract...
Paint color for walls
We have a basement with red stained concrete, which...
Tiny attic window faces South. Historic rules.
My attic is completely open... I wish to finish it...
POLL: Gas or Electric Range?
Do you prefer a gas or electric range for your kitchen?...
Need help trying to pick the right front door
Hi my houzz family :) my husband and I are replacing...
Urgent Help! Stay or paint?
First timer renovating classic 1910s villa, currently...