Kitchen lighting and table
tsmom08
We are updating the kitchen with some minor changes particularly the lighting over the island and kitchen table - any suggestions on what we should look for with the current look of the room. We are also looking to update the table, chairs, stools to something more modern for the table and comfy (thinking pattern and wood) for the chairs. Any suggestions for any of these??? Thanks!
dclostboy
An antique round table would be easily found...pairing with modern chairs would add a bit of character to your new kitchen
November 15, 2013 at 5:56pm      Thanked by tsmom08
Piff
An industrial look (restoration hardware-y) for the lighting might work well in your space (love your stove and your backsplash!)

Custom Home-Atlanta

Old Westbury Neoclassical
November 15, 2013 at 5:57pm        Thanked by tsmom08
Whispar Design
I also like the industrial look with the dark cabinets and the appliances - something like this for the pendants? Any idea what size will the new table be?

November 15, 2013 at 6:16pm      Thanked by tsmom08
tsmom08
Thanks! I actually thought the pelham pendants over the island and then was lost about what I should do over the table then - was thinking a drum light but is that too much of a mix of styles??
November 15, 2013 at 6:17pm     
tsmom08
Thanks! When you say antique table, do you visualize wood antique or a metal?? I was thinking a two tone wood - dark top light bottom pedestal to lighten up the area?
November 15, 2013 at 6:19pm   
tsmom08
Awesome - that was what I was picturing for the island...We would have to go with a similar size table that we have now...two adults, three kids....and we don't want to block the patio door
November 15, 2013 at 6:20pm   
rosecottagehome
Nice kitchen, I also really like the backsplash with the expresso cabinets. Here is a drum shade idea for over the table with lighting for over the sink.
November 15, 2013 at 6:22pm      Thanked by tsmom08
Piff
I personally like mixing styles. If you go with a relatively clean and creamy white drum (like the one rose posted), it would do well.
November 15, 2013 at 7:00pm      Thanked by tsmom08
Whispar Design
Agree with above. Even though the chadwick series is considered restoration period, they work as a transitional fixture so a simple drum shade as suggested would work just fine. What diameter are your current pendants? The Chadwick's have a smaller 8" pendant as well as a 17" version of the on posted earlier. A mix of the two smaller pendants and a 17" over the table might also work.
November 15, 2013 at 7:48pm      Thanked by tsmom08
tsmom08
Thanks so much ! I do agree...I prefer an eclectic mix of varying styles. The current pendants are 7 1/2 and I feel like they would pop a bit more if they were a tad bigger...they sort of get lost and don't have the affect I'd like them to have. You don't think the silver/polished nickle pendants would be too much silver with all silver appliances? Could I do a fiberglass pedestal table with a drum fixture or is that too modern vs classic? I'm torn on the table but we want to take care of the lights first, I'm just worried about limiting myself since I'm all over the place with a table lol.
November 15, 2013 at 7:54pm   
Whispar Design
If you like the look of the chadwick pendants you could go with one of these that has polished accents. The white glass diffuser would also provide some ambient light.

November 16, 2013 at 6:52am     
dclostboy
I was thinking the other way around on the antique table...dark base to ground it and lighter wood top. You could even paint base black if you wanted.
November 16, 2013 at 1:59pm     
tsmom08
Ohhhh I like that...thanks dclostboy! Now I have to find it...isn't that always the issue :) Would you do a wooden chairs w/fabric seats - pattern perhaps?
November 17, 2013 at 7:00pm   
tsmom08
what do you think of this pendant? Industrial but quite different from my initial thought
November 17, 2013 at 7:04pm   
tanlew72
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/s_industrial-pendant-light/
Great light options on this link.
Consider rectangle workbench style table. Wood top black metal legs and keep chairs and stools but match seat to wood of table top and replace some chairs with bench seat.

I would not do fabric seats- I think they do not suit this style of kitchen and fabric patterns can date quite quickly.

Good luck.
November 17, 2013 at 7:58pm   
Whispar Design
The only consideration with the last fixture you posted is for some people, the exposed bulb in uncomfortable if close to eye level. You can remove the shades from you current fixture and leave the bulb in and see what you think. The edison bulb shown in the globe does not put out as much light so it may not be an issue as much.
November 18, 2013 at 9:45am   
In Style Modern
I agree stailness lights will match the rest of your kitchen (the fridge and the faucets)
November 18, 2013 at 7:55pm     
tsmom08
Thanks Whispar and In Style - I was able to find the RH Clemson Classic in white and PN on sale at their outlet yesterday, so I grabbed them and now am looking for a drum pendant for over the table - I saw a nice Steven and Chris one from their Mercer St collection that I'm considering. Now off the search for a table - sometimes I think it's easier to start fresh than replace a few things and try to change the style of a room. I really appreciate all the input and advice.
November 20, 2013 at 3:53pm   
ideas for blank wall panels
I'm having a condo remodeled, and it features a couple...
Framed Burlap
Both side by side or one?
Thoughts on new living room layout
I rearranged our furniture - I can't tell if it's too...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Need help to find interior decoration items online
Hi I am looking for accent pieces, floral arrangements...