engineered hardwood over ceramic tile?
grochmal
November 16, 2013
hi everyone! am going to install engineered hardwood in dining room, kitchen and hallway leading to master bedroom. all of that floor area is existing ceramic tile which is in good shape, but the tile is a dimpled design. my installer wants to put the hardwood over the tile, I am uncomfortable with that idea as it will create 2 more higher transitions that I don't want, one into the laundry room and one into the walk in pantry which I will keep as the existing tile. they will have transitions anyways, but without the tile, the transitions wouldn't be as high. what do you think? also, where do I find the metal transition strips, I like the lower profile of them rather than the bulky look of the wood strips? thank you, I hope you can offer suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Every time flooring is installed over flooring, the height of the room shrinks and the transitions between flooring materials becomes a large step down or up.

Also there is added weight to the floor load that was never intended by the structural engineer.

I always prefer to remove the old flooring before adding new..........even if it costs a bit more for demolition.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 5:29AM
Kivi
Which bothers you more? The higher transitions because the floor is on top of tile....or the cost and delay of removing all the tile and prepping the floor to be smooth enough to lay the new floor? Sometimes it's a choice between the lesser of two issues.
    Bookmark   Thanked by grochmal    November 16, 2013 at 5:32AM
Kivi
I would probably choose to remove the tile....but that is just me, and my preferences.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 5:35AM
Mark
I would remove the tile, if you don't you would have to have any doors cut to fit the new height. I would think that the company that you are dealing with for your flooring will be able to get your metal transition strips. Good luck !
    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 5:48AM
grochmal
to kivi. I know to demo the tile will be messy and lots of hard work, but I am willing to go through the process even though it will cost me more money. to have more even floor levels is very important to me, so the tile will go. also, if I have problems later with the flooring because of the existing tile, then what, better to be safe than sorry later. thanks everone for commenting.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 9:10AM