What should I do with the fireplace?
kwillis1
Any suggestions with this little entry room would be greatly appreciated. It used to be a garage. This is where you enter from the front door. Should I paint the fireplace white? What to do with the brass front? My daughter says she hates the white fluffy pillows! Thoughts? Thanks!
kwillis1
Here is another view of the fireplace
    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 6:18AM
nursecrt
You can paint the brass front black. They make a high temp paint for grills and such. That is what we did in our house nine years ago. Made a big difference. You might want to do something with the mantel as well. I personally would not paint the brick. Once it is done there is no turning back.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 6:24AM
kwillis1
I agree the mantle is way too small. I was thinking of this look. But, yes, I'm scared to paint the brick!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 6:26AM
happyasaclam
I agree - do not paint the brick, the mantel is too small and the pillows are too blah. I do like the brass. Add some brass accessories to the room and it won't stick out so. That room needs more color! It is screamimg for more color! What other changes are you considering for this room?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:04AM
dclostboy
Love your mantle inspiration. Curtain panels would help soften the paneling and add some interest and color to the wall behind the chairs.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:05AM
claudiann
Your room looks great to me. I wouldn't change a thing. My dogs would love those pillows.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:11AM
carolins
The fluffy pillows are too close to the rug. Both are nice, but not so close together. Maybe if you switch some of the knitted ones with the fluffy ones?
Curtain panels would give the room a softer, more dressed look.
I would spray the brass black and get a bigger mantle. Wouldn't paint the brick.
The large dark ottoman doesn't do it for me. I'd suggest a table there. Do you have nesting tables or something where you can put your drink if you're sitting on the sofa?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 1:12PM
happyasaclam
Is your lamp sitting on a glass table? If so, carolins's table might be what you're looking for. If you look for curtains using your patterned pillows on the chairs as inspiration, they would be a nice backdrop for the chairs. I didn't see that until dc and carolins showed me the way! I like the color you painted your built ins. Use it a little more too. That really is a nice room!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 2:20PM
brickln
No to painting brick, yes to rustic mantle. Brass is coming back so leave it. Roman shades in a print fabric- the blinds compete with the vertical paneling.
What a wonderful entrance- it must feel great to walk through that door!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 3:24PM
Paris Flea
You could stucco it.
    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:40PM
Sounds like the FP is taken care of. The room needs softening though. Fabric roman shades on the windows, a new light fixture, no sticks as decor, more round shapes.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:45PM
Interiors by Design, Terri Marcus, ASID, RID
I would definitely paint the fireplace. As it is now it is not adding any architectural interest. Absolutely, have a new mantel built. One that is in scale with fireplace and room. Another option would be sheath the fireplace in sheetrock, add decorative moulding, and a stone firebox surround.

As for the rest of the room you need a large rug to ground the seating are. Take colors from the rug and add pillows, accessories to take those colors up off the floor. This will bring balance. I do love the monochromatic furniture, gives you a blank slate. Easy to change rug and a few accessories whenever you tire of the look.
Most importantly, have fun and make sure the room reflects you.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:48PM
kwillis1
Great suggestions! Thank you all!
    Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:54PM
What should I do with this fireplace mantel?
After taking down the Christmas decorations, I need...
Ashley Bowman
Need suggestions to balance this fireplace wall-
What should I do to make this fireplace wall look more...
ebritt1960
Fireplace
Building a two storey house with an 'open to below'...
mbolt
lava rock fireplace
what should I do to this fireplace??
mbhelfgo
What should I do with this fireplace?
Ugly small painted fireplace... Considering tile,...
lmoore7156
Where to find upscale, modern lighting?
llederer
Getting a new vanity
Are these taps ok to use, or totally out of style
stoehrlis
Area rug, does it work?
Just purchased this area rug 8x11 and trying to decide...
criticalaoa
Difficult picking out a colour
I am having a hard time trying to pick a colour ! Any...
Rhonda Beckman
Help warm up my dining area
Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on how to soften...
laurendesarno