Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmcole01

Please help me turn this bright yellow room into a relaxing office!

cmcole01
10 years ago
I need help making this bright yellow bedroom into a relaxing office and sitting area. i need help with PAINT color (yellow will go!), layout and other furniture ideas, color, rugs, desk chair, etc. The desk is new but everything else will go. While the main purpose is an office we want to have somewhere to sit and read/relax. we did also want to include a bookshelf.
Everyone has been such a help to me for other rooms in my house, i hope you will help me out with this room that needs serious help!

Comments (180)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I like the rug angle better in the latest pix.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok thanks - i'm going to try to put the rug down! stay tuned!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I'll be here for at least another 30 min.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i'll see how it goes :-)
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    what do you think??? i put as much of it down as i can without help in lifting the desk. i will have to play with the chair placement.
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    love that rug!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I love the rug in your room, it's perfect with the Palladian blue, the caramel chair and the desk! I'll let you and Carolyn fine tune the placement.
    cmcole01 thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Wow! It looks fabulous. What a delightful room you have created! I like the angle of the rug and think that if you put the white garden seat on the other side of the chair and scoot the chair out and over just a very few inches toward the desk, placing the lamp behind the chair, it should look perfect! I'm so proud of what you've done!
    cmcole01 thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • User
    10 years ago
    The rug is great, if you have changed your mind about relaxing. It is stimulating.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It's an office so she wants to stay alert!
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks all so much! i am very happy with it :-). and it's pretty thin so not an issue with the chair. do you all still think the wood side table would work next to the chair? also i did still want to get a throw - would coral or orange be too much now seeing the rug or still work well?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    What about a darker shade of the wall for your throw? I am afraid coral or orange would get lost.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Hi cmcole! I haven't been following this discussion but stumbled across it tonight. What a wonderful transformation! I pretty much just skimmed the comments. I love the wall color and saw and loved that chair last time I was in PB. The colors of the rug are perfect with the paint and chair. I like Abbyjean's idea for the throw color.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I'd try repeating the wall color for the throw. It would be nice to repeat the pastel color. Then if it's too pastel, you could try a shade or two darker for the throw.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i like the idea of a throw similar or shade darker than wall - i agree with abbyjean that the coral may get lost. what about the wood table? or i should think about some other type of table/stool?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Is the white garden stool needed elsewhere? If so, that little round table should work nicely as long as its diameter is no bigger than the garden stool.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    yes the stool came from my living room. i am not opposed to getting another stool for in here if the wood may be too repetitive with the chair, floor. although i do plan on the white bookcases too. i do like the table too. what do you think?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Once you get that wall of white bookcases, it won't seem too repetitive.
  • elaynemt
    10 years ago
    I know I am late to the party and maybe too late to the discussion, but wanted to say that I have an office in that yellow with white trim and ceiling but with dark wood floors and the same colour dark wood desk and book cases. There is also a cheerful white with small bright colourful florals (yellow, blue, green) couch. Overall, the look is bright, fun and relaxing. It is like sitting outside on a summer day!
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Elaymnte - thanks. Yes I have painted the room as well as bought rug, chair. Look at some of the last posts to see the current progress. Still need to get bookcases, table, and throw. Enjoy your room.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolyn I have a question for you and hope you can help. I bought the bookcases from ikea tonight (will put together this weekend). However my question is about the cabinet lights you mentioned. We were going to buy the Grundtal cabinet lights in white but they were out :-(. Before I go crazy trying to find I wanted to check with you which cabinet lights you thought would work best.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Carolyn is on a little getaway right now....read that on another post. Not sure when she is returning, but she does check on here now and then.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Yes,...Carolyn in Mexico..that lucky girl. :)
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ah! Good for her :-). Does anyone else have thoughts on this or have the billy bookcases with lights?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like the light you are showing above, but you could def use the brushed nickel or whatever they are calling their silver finish.
  • Lynnie
    10 years ago
    I picture something a little different. Here are a few pictures that you might want to think about:

Condo Unit Interior Renovation · More Info

Office · More Info

Office Loft Kreuzberg - Espresso Bar · More Info

The Strand · More Info
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Carolyn. I hope you are having a great vacation! So do you think the white or silver finish would be better? We like the look of the silver better but thought the white would be better with the white bookcase. If silver would work we'd go for it (once they are in stock).
    Also I'm having a heck of a time finding a throw that would work in this room (similar but darker than wall color). I don't want to spend a fortune on a throw either. Any suggestions?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Here's a cotton cable knit throw from J,C. Penney in natural that's over-sized at 50x70 and on sale for only $23.99. It got great reviews. I've found a lot of throws on different sites that have colors sold out.

http://www.jcpenney.com/royal-velvet-cotton-cable-knit-throw/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001360321&catId=cat100250069&deptId=dept20000012&topDim=Item+Type&topDimvalue=throws&dimCombo=Item+Type|
  • User
    10 years ago
    Here's one from Overstock that is a pretty wild quilted cotton for $33.99, but it sure has many of the colors in the rug. I found some pretty cashmere throws, but close to $100, and I didn't think you were interested in spending that much. You're right, it's hard to find a nice dusty teal.
    http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Katy-Multicolored-Quilted-Throw/5995969/product.html?refccid=J7CUBRI4QK5YAESKC55CKKS62Y&searchidx=2
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bluenan thanks for looking for throws for me! I like the stripe one but worry it may compete with the rug.

What are thoughts on this throw from Pier 1? I'm not sure but thought the blue would work, or do u think it's too dark/busy?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I do like it, but on my monitor the brown looks like it might not work well with the caramel of the chair. You wouldn't think this would be such a tough challenge!
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yeah I'm not sure about the brown either but on my iPad it looked like it might work. I'm going to go to pier 1 and check it out in person. Crossing fingers :-)
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I brought up a teal ombré throw I have in my living room. What are thoughts on this in the room? I know it's a bit darker than I was thinking but it does work with rug. Let me know if this kind of teal/color would work or if I should keep looking?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Lighter would be better.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Can you refold this one so the lighter side is showing? I do not hate this one as it is in the rug and it appears to be a lighter shade of the wall. Do you have a few other items in the room this same color, too?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I like it! It looks like a perfect match for the bold blue stripe in the rug. It's a nice punch of color and looks good with the caramel.
  • Lynnie
    10 years ago
    I really like the teal colored throw with that chair. The rug is nice too but I could actually picture more of a pattern, sort of Southwest.
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    I really like the lamp and chair and rug, but could you move them all about three inches to the left and up a half inch, then move the desk to make the rug a bit straighter, then fold the throw so the hangy edges are to the right, then cut the tag off the lamp cord? It would work so much better that way for me :-)))))))
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We put together 2 of the 3 bookcases. Unfortunately the 3rd one was broken so we have to bring it back. You can see how tall they are in room (almost to ceiling). I think they will look great once all 3 are up. Although I'm not sure if the attachable spotlights will fit. Thoughts??
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You need more shelves, but perhaps you just haven't put them in. It would look great if you could install crown moulding at the top of them to make them appear built-in. Then a track light out in front of them could light them.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolyn - yes I mentioned the 3rd shelf was broken so we need to replace. My husband put the other 2 together. Molding is nice idea - Although I'm not sure how spotlight would then work because they attach to top, correct?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You'd use a track lighting set instead of the spotlights from IKEA.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Update on my office - I bought the table and we finished putting together the bookcases. We still need to put in shelves and fill but thought i'd show where we are so far. I'd welcome any comments or suggestions
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I love the rug at an angle and the paint color...so relaxing. The bookshelves are going to add so much when you get them properly arranged, and with all the shelves installed. I'd allow the biggest space between shelves near the top, and mostly in the two wider sections. I prefer to stagger the shelves so they are not all lined up, and I usually keep them closer together nearer the bottom.

The big sections that I leave near the top are perfect for displaying a painting or picture in the back of the shelf with some books stacked horizontally in front, and if there is space, then to the side also.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Looking good, enjoy your space, thanks for the update!
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    Wow, you did it - a functional office that really is an oasis of calm! Lovely space, love everything you've done!
  • toomanywhitewalls
    10 years ago
    a great transformation! For me the rug really stands out in here making the room pop. Great job!!

That rug looks so much better in your room than on the Home Decorators site. I just went to price it out to see where I could put it in my home lol!! It looks so blah on the website but really tranforms your entire room.
  • cmcole01
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Next is filling the shelves - it will be a struggle to keep my hubby from just filling them all with wall to wall books, but I will :-). I will definitely reach out for more help as we work on it.
    @toomanywhitewalls - thanks so much. I agree - we were pleasantly surprised by the rug when we got it.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You can let hub give you books enough to fill 1/3 to 1/2 the shelves. The rest of the space is YOURS!