Where to sit? Beach cottage: dark original wood and large fireplace on
localbluestocking
How to arrange seating and tv? We bought a lovely 1928 beach house that is entirely original, with dark wood wainscot throughout. Very large stone fireplace is where most people would have big windows: facing the ocean. We will put French doors in place of windows on either side of fireplace. But not sure about how to arrange sofa, chairs and tv. Could put tv along stairs on right side wall, but then backs would be to big window. Tv next to fireplace? Not sure. Room good sized.
localbluestocking
Those are sellers' furniture, not ours. We will finish floors before adding our things.
November 16, 2013 at 7:02PM   
2dogssashatess
it looks like a great house but gee that is a lot of wood. hmm, well if you want to see the sea you need a couch facing the fireplace. maybe your furniture arrangement can change with the seasons. In the cold weather you might like your couch in front of the fireplace. Maybe if the weather is warmer you might want to orient the sofa towards that huge window.
November 17, 2013 at 12:40AM        Thanked by localbluestocking
chookchook2
Agree with unpronounceable name.
November 17, 2013 at 1:00AM        Thanked by localbluestocking
Fireplaces and window placement are always a pain. But you seem to have room enough to install three large seating areas: two long sofas in front of the two windows. This means, that people can look out to the sea who are sitting nearest the fireplace. Then either two armchairs or a third sofa opposite the fireplace. This allows people to lookout at the sea as well. In this manner everyone gets a view.

The TV would pose a problem for me. I might look at a novel solution by creating a coffee table in front of the fireplace and having a drop down TV that disappears when not required. You could either place this toward the fireplace end - but this would mean no fire when watching TV or in the center of the coffee table area but this would mean you sacrifice one sofa's viewing point...

Also do check what the current laws are about an open hearth for a fireplace and the stone surround. The wood floor seems to come up worryingly close to the hearth.

To lighten up the wood - don't change it or touch it but add as many cream accents as you can. It will fill up the room with light and counteract the dark background created by the wood.
November 17, 2013 at 1:49AM        Thanked by localbluestocking
localbluestocking
Thanks for input.

We don't plan to paint the wood, except perhaps in a bathroom or two. I feel so lucky to have found a house in such original condition, I don't want to ruin it. Any changes will be done very carefully.
November 17, 2013 at 6:04AM   
dclostboy
Consider long sofa perpendicular to fireplace...two pairs of wide lounge chairs on remaining sides of square. Just keep back heights low. I've done with Barcelona chairs in the past, which are low enough to not obstruct line of vision.
November 17, 2013 at 6:15AM      Thanked by localbluestocking
blrussell
Love the wood. I always thought a fireplace between the two windows overlooking the lake/ocean in my " dream house" would be the way to go. I know you didn't ask but if it is within your budget, I would decrease the size of the fireplace and enlarge the windows...then enjoy the fire and the view.
November 17, 2013 at 7:21AM      Thanked by localbluestocking
sstarr
Fabulous house. When you put the french doors in, I wonder if you could create an outdoor fireplace on the outer wall of the current one, adding a flue or just a stone projection onto the deck, with the flue connecting into the main one, closeable with a damper.

Also, it looks as though the original owners felt that the view of the rocks on the left side of the room was more interesting, as it may actually be. And so, creating an ell with two sofas, orienting one large sofa facing that window, and another toward the fireplace, might be a good arrangement. Big square coffee table in the center, rough wool rug, a couple of MCM chairs on the window side facing the sofa.
November 17, 2013 at 7:33AM      Thanked by localbluestocking
We're only seeing 2 walls of your great space, so are limited in our creativity by lack of visual input. Just guessing that by the age of the home, there will be two other walls, I envision a back to back sofa arrangement, so one faces the FP and French doors, while the otherfaces a TV on the wall opposite the FP. Chairs in each arrangement will allow views in any direction. Here's a rustic retreat home that does it well. Be sure to click and look at all the pix of this place for inspiration about furniture placement.

November 17, 2013 at 7:41AM      Thanked by localbluestocking
localbluestocking
I don't have photos of the other sides of the room. Opposite the fireplace is a step down into the dining room, with no visual
barrier between the two rooms. The side across from the big window has the stairs to upstairs. Appreciate the advice.
November 18, 2013 at 1:57PM   
Fireplace help please.
Is this wall art piece too small for this spot? Should...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Master bedroom curtain ideas
Trying to figure out what type of curtain would look...
Help with family room accent pieces and furniture placement
We recently moved in and repainted the walls and ordered...