Cheap and creative fix for wallpaper border "issues"

hurst visual solutionsNovember 17, 2013
Three layers deep, some paper, some adhesive.. after every solution known to man, this was really becoming too big of a chore... In the battle of the wall border.. the border won. In the end, I won the war.. This is how... I used a wash off marker and taped the lowest portion of the remaining wallpaper. I then bought a textured surface preparation and using a plastic putty knife, added a skim coat about 1/8" thick and hid all the left over wallpaper and it's bulges. My plan is, after making several different patterns, ( and also this is a young boys room... ) make tiles from the second coat that will look like bricks. ( believe me, I wasn't going to sponge this because it took about 2 days... ) It has to dry between coats for 24 hours so it's now time to put on the smooth coat and attempt to make this patten work. It can take paint, but I'm going to wait until I see what it looks like before that decision is made.
Mark
Love to see pics when you are finished !
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 10:52AM
hurst visual solutions
you'll see them for sure unless I make a huge mess!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 10:56AM
hurst visual solutions
For patterns.. so they don't need to be so measured and standardized.. I tried a mash potato smasher, broom straws, a metal dog come... and not that I think about it. The idea of brick along the ceiling sort of disturbs me... like it doesn't belong high, but maybe low. Instead, I was thinking of using a large toothed comb going up a stoke then sideways a stroke. That was one of my patterns I liked and think I won't go back and wish I hadn't done the brick. Like. who has brick around the top of their room? Just an aesthetic thing and maybe bad feng shui.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 9:40AM
hurst visual solutions
After pulling an all-nighter on the resurfacing ( not something you start and pick up on a few house later ) I used my inspiration, paint test, patten on texture board.. added a mismatched drawer pull from the kitchen and created this little piece of art. A welcome door to their new home. Turned out to be quite interesting and instead of tossing it she wants to actually hang it on the wall.. Just goes to show, you can make art, create beauty, be creative in the moment, don't care what someone thinks, think it out or just toss it on. My throw away board is considered her "first piece of real art" - which I love!!!
    Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 10:43AM
Minimal Traditional curb appeal help!
We just bought what I would describe as a Minimal Traditional...
huckleberrypie
Design Depression - anyone else going through it?
Is Design Depression a "thing"? Anyone else feel design...
dreacorator
Dining Room makeover
Slowly room by room I am trying to makeover my house,...
howellmsue
Cheap facelift?
I will eventually get around to fully remodeling this...
wl606
Hating my Foyer- Part 3
First image is my own "creative photo shop". Hung...
erinbono
Need help with the design of the House.. Please Comment
Building a house of about 3200 sft for a family of...
skinhealer
Entryway area. What does it need?
I just stenciled my entryway but I feel like it's missing...
sums4you
How could I arrange my living/tv room for max use?
I bought my small 1940's house a few years ago, and...
melissakeyser
Looking for source for outdoor steps
I need about 3 concrete steps for a small slope in...
lauralizhill
Can you please help with paint color options for kitchen
Our kitchen goal is a French country look. This week...
kymberlyz