Need furniture advice
elsiegnzlz
I'm a new homeowner and I've bought two sofas and a dinning table. I'm waiting for 2 chairs and a bench I purchased at zgallerie for the dinning room. Not sure what type of coffee table and chair I should purchase for the living room. I want to stick to earth tones ( i think) please help with furniture ideas.
Laurence Tillett
since your floors and walls and sofas are earth tones (all pretty much the same from what I can tell), you need some COLOR Elsie! get the dining table/chairs in the space, then repost some more pics. if you truly want to stay all neutral, you will need some dark tones and some white or cream as accents.
November 17, 2013 at 1:00pm     
You can stay with earth tones--go monochromatic, even--but you need some darks and lights and textures to make it work.

Also, don't push your sofas against the walls like a doctor's waiting room. Float them toward the center on a large area rug with a coffee table in between. You could add a couple of chairs to one end if you want more seating.

Then think about art for those big blank walls.
November 17, 2013 at 1:18pm     
BTW, do you plan on a TV in this room? If so, where will you put it?
November 17, 2013 at 1:20pm   
karemore55
I agree with Laurence Tillett's and groveraxle's excellent advice. Just want to add that groveraxle's suggestion for adding in a couple of chairs that would face the window is especially good. The reason might seem strange, but it's a feng shui thing. Your front door opens directly onto your living area, so energy should not be able to flow straight into the room -'it should be stopped by a solid object like a wall. In your case, a couple of chairs would work.

Even placing a small dresser on the wall just inside the front doors will help as it will disrupt the flow somewhat.
November 17, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Agree with all suggestions….you need a good sized rug to ground those sofas. I think this sisal look with a border would work great.

November 17, 2013 at 1:53pm   
Here are a couple of different looks for you, one monochromatic, the other with teal.

I've moved one of your sofas because having it on the wall makes the living room a passageway.
November 17, 2013 at 2:29pm     
karemore55
I wondered about the L-shape too, groveraxle. It will give her room on that one wall for a TV or some form of case goods - maybe a console with art above. Nice contrast to all the upholstery.
November 17, 2013 at 4:00pm   
karemore55
Some coffee table ideas: wayfair.com for first two, third pic is world market.com, fourth is home decorators.com.
November 17, 2013 at 4:06pm   
I agree on the moving the sofas off the walls and adding an area rug. I like this coffee table for your space. It's light and will show off your new rug. :) and I like how the curves relate to the curves of your sofa arms.

November 17, 2013 at 4:11pm     
New window covers. Those not working. Try just on ends, in color 2 shades of walls. Extend rod pass windows by 8" and make them full. Add area rug to dining rm and living room. In living room 8x10 in a traditional print. Are walls staying this color? If so get rug with wall color plus accent color and black and cream. Add pillows in same colors to sofas. A big square 36" coffee table. Z a Galleries have some nice ones. Art over both sofas hang 6" from top of sofas. As big palms in corners by window. Add decor on coffee table in a accent color choose one teal is nice. Add end table to sofas add tall. Big lamps to tables. Z Galleries carries some big nice ones. Zs carries all you need for these rooms. Love your dining table is it reclaimed wood? Your living room furn looks formal, so stay in that look. Get chandelier for dining rm. big hang 36" from top of table. Center table under it. In entry get a small chandelier. Stay in same look but don't match.
November 17, 2013 at 4:17pm   
Move sofas off wall by 18" move towards center of room. Where are you putting bench? Do you have pic of chairs.? 2 small accent chairs could work in living room looking at window. Side by side no table. Get in a print. And bold color. Like a peacock print.
November 17, 2013 at 4:20pm   
If using teal for accent. Get that in a rug. Lamp base can be a silver.
November 17, 2013 at 4:21pm   
I would go more formal on coffee table Z has a great glass one with antique gold trim. Very nice with yr look.
November 17, 2013 at 4:23pm   
Darzy above shows good coffee table but you need square, not rectangle. Zs has it.
November 17, 2013 at 4:24pm   
elsiegnzlz
I have French doors in the living room over looking the pool. I like the idea of the L shape but I don't want to block the doors. I'm not putting a TV in this room. The bench is for the dinning room. I'm definitely getting two chairs for the living room but I'm not sure if I should get them dark or light. Here's a pic of the dining room chairs I purchased. I'm having a really hard time staying away from light neutrals.
November 17, 2013 at 8:00pm   
You could arrange the furniture like this with your second sofa floating opposite the first. Put a console on the wall behind it. If the chair blocks the door, move it to the other end.
November 17, 2013 at 9:02pm   
And you could probably use one of these in chocolate:
November 17, 2013 at 9:06pm   
elsiegnzlz
Thank you, I'm going to play with sofas and see what I like best.
November 18, 2013 at 4:03pm     
halfpint2
I think your sofas are beautiful! I love the color of the vase in the room, how about using colors in the same tone.
November 18, 2013 at 4:08pm   
elsiegnzlz
Thank you. I've thought about it. I like blue, gold, black, gray, white and maybe some brown but I'm not sure which colors to use
November 18, 2013 at 5:16pm     
Judiwithani
First, I think I would try moving the sofas in an L shape. Looks like this might create a better flow considering your entry and French doors face each other. The three main colors, wall, floor and sofa are in the neutral family, but not blending. Are you able to reprint, if so, would match to sofa. Floor looks like it has pink in it, would downplay that with a nice rug.
Great room size and nice furniture. Black coffee table would be good. Would get a good size one. Also would use same drapes in LR and DR
November 18, 2013 at 5:42pm   
abbyjean
Would the L being made with the sofa work with one of them facing those beautiful windows? Then work the 2 new chairs in near the window.
November 18, 2013 at 5:49pm   
Reclaimed Lumber Products
I agree the couches should move off the wall. I thought this ideabook on "design don'ts" had some good points.

Could you add some more color with your couch pillows maybe?
November 19, 2013 at 8:42am     
elsiegnzlz
Great article!
November 19, 2013 at 5:56pm   
Paris Flea
Move the sofas off the walls they are too close let them breath.
November 19, 2013 at 6:02pm   
Need advice on LR furniture
LR is small 13x15. (13' from FP to stair case, 15'...
Need advice on basement furniture
We recently moved into a new house and need finish...
First Time Poster: Need advice on furniture layout, or replacements!
Purpose of Room: Conversation Room and Family Area. What...
Need Advice on Piece of Furniture
I need some advice on what to replace the glass cabinet...
Need advice on furniture selection and arrangement
Building new cluster home with open plan grand room...
show organizational options for a closet that is 2 x 10ft?
Remodel of a closet has two doors in guest bedroom-good...
Describe Scandinavian style in one word!
Scandi might be the darling look of 2014, it's BIG....
soapstone countertop
They look great with soapstone sink but I'm getting...
Need help on the best method to secure two thick wood without joints
I am looking for advice on how to secure two pieces...
What does luxury mean to you?
The beauty of Houzz is that you can get inspiration...