HELP!!! Living room nightmare
wallizgrl
Just moved into this house and had visions of what the living room should look like. But it looks nothing like what I had envisioned. The bay window is about 7 or 8 feet wide. And we really don't want to block the view by placing anything in front. We are considering moving the TV out all together. We have an antique wood burning stove we thought of putting in here but not sure now. I just bought the rug and don't think it fits well in this space. Also, not in love with the design. But its ok, I could work with it. We can't afford a $600 dollar rug. The blue verticals will come down as soon as I figure out what we are doing in this room. Really only the couch and the rettanish looking recliner near the couch need to stay in this room. We are thinking of making it more of a formal or 'quiet' space where we can read/relax. Help!! I am desperate. As you can see by what is in there now, I don't know what I am doing. :)
The rug was a smart purchase and you can base the room off of it. Paint in one of the light beige shades from it. Use the other colors in it for accents, drapes, new chairs. When budget allows, I'd close off the two openings to the other rooms.
1 Like   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 1:23PM
yvonnecmartin
If you need all three chairs in the room, I would find slipcovers for the two recliners and footstool that somehow relate to the colors in the rug and the other chair. You might even pick up the blue of the door. Then I would arrange two chairs at right angles to the sofa and close enough to it to make a conversation area. The third chair and hassock could be where the two are setting now and be accompanied by a large table or the blue chese and a reading lamp. Pile your magazines or newspaper on the table to set the stage.
0 Likes   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 1:30PM
curlycook
I really like the rug. I would suggest you pull the furniture onto the rug to create coziness. The wall with the tv on it needs something "more", like bookshelves or a picture gallery. The window is fantastic, but don't be afraid to put something in front of it.
0 Likes   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 1:32PM
wallizgrl
Eventually that blue front door will be changed too. But would love to paint the new one red to match the colors in the rug. Do you think the rug is the right size for the room. And if we move the TV out, what about putting the couch on that wall the TV is on and pulling all the furniture in on the rug? Or even just pulling it in right where it is now?
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 1:36PM
Deb C
I would add some color as in a chair in the red/ burgundy in the rug
0 Likes   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 1:36PM
You definitely need a rug pad.
1 Like   November 17, 2013 at 1:39PM
Classic Linen Drapery

A panel to the floor on each side of your window would look nice. (T V out of the room, IMO)

Colorful artwork on the solid short wall.

Modern Home Abstract Art On Canvas Printing Design Ideas VEJMON Coffee table
1 Like   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 1:42PM
wallizgrl
@jamjudy, literally unrolled the rug about 10 minutes before this pic. :)
And I LOVE the curtains.
1 Like   November 17, 2013 at 1:46PM
wallizgrl
I also do have a red couch I could swap out with. Again wasn't my vision but could do it.
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 1:49PM
Take a pix of the sofa? Red might look great.
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 1:54PM
wallizgrl
Here you go. The brown one in there now is slip covered with a micro-suade cover I was given. The couch under is a light tan color. Our yard is very sandy so I was covering it to try and hide dirt that might cover it from my 8 year old son.
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 2:06PM
wallizgrl
The red one was to be in the kids play area. What if I put it in the living room and kept the brown one as well and moved out the two single chairs (blue and multi colored in first post)?
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 2:09PM
wallizgrl
Oh the other dilemma is that half wall that defines the entry way. If I put a couch in front of that, the couch is longer then that wall. So that probably wouldn't work. I could put the two couches in an L shape and move the TV to that half wall. ??? Or take it out completely.
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 2:21PM
Dwellings LLC
I think the rug is wonderful. It has an interesting color palette that you can use throughout the house. I would borrow a paint deck from a paint store and match up the colors you see in the rug: red, gold, brown, blue, tan, green. Benjamin Moore paint 's website has many great ideas for new homeowners. Please also consider using 3 colors in the room; wall color, ceiling color ( NOT WHITE ) and trim color.

The wall openings have no purpose and I would suggest closing them off to give you more wall space.

If the TV has no purpose in this room; then move it out. Put the couch on that wall with a console table behind it , with lighting on it. Angle the "rattan" chair to face the couch, get an interesting coffee table. Also, I would consider a bench in front of the window for additional seating, in a print. It won't block the view but will cozy up the room.

Consider, woven woods on the window with stationary panels on either side. Texture and function .

Trust your instincts, if it doesn't work, just return it. This should be fun and sometimes it just takes some time until you hit your stride . Good Luck.
0 Likes   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 2:30PM
wallizgrl
@Dwellings LLC, can you give me an idea of what you were thinking for the window. What do you mean woven woods with stationary prints on either side? Do you mean stationary curtains?
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 2:59PM
Christopher Morley
I love the color of your front door! The blue recliner matches. Slip cover the other chairs in light neutrals from the rug and u have a winner!
1 Like   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 4:37PM
Christopher Morley
I would paint the opposite wall the same color as the door. It would warm up the room, pull it together, and shorten it. Right now the room appears long and narrow. One accent wall would make it cozier.
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 4:44PM
Christopher Morley
The bay window and view are spectacular. That's your focal point.
1 Like   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 4:47PM
wallizgrl
I guess it would help to know the colors of the rug. They are brown, red (burgundy/burnt orange?) a green tan and a taupe color (maybe a grayish color?). Here are some pics. There is no blue in the rug. And that door has to be replaced. I love the color too but we just need a door so it will go eventually. Was thinking the new door could be red though. Also, is an accent wall still ok in decorating? I wasn't sure...
1 Like   November 17, 2013 at 4:57PM
wallizgrl
close up of rug
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 5:11PM
cyndeefarrell
Rug is nice. I am anxious to see how this room progresses. I too would close off those openings.
1 Like   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 5:11PM
craljh
Turn the coach perpendicular, move tv to other end of wall, put one of your chairs angled where tv was, move other chairs to kids room, put small table along pony wall, put large picture over smaller opening in wall as temp solution. :) Love your rug
0 Likes   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 5:12PM
MarleneM
Sometimes colors look different depending on what is beside them. When I look at the picture with the blue chair and front door, they greyish taupe looks blue.
I love the view, can see why you don't want to obstruct it.
1 Like   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 5:19PM
Caroline Reynolds
I had openings like that in a house we rented - obviously, we couldn't fill them in because it wasn't our house, so I hung curtains around them with tie backs (like they were windows). That might be a temporary idea for you if you can't fill those in right away.
1 Like   Thanked by wallizgrl    November 17, 2013 at 5:28PM
I would stay with the brown sofa. Consider the drapes and the IKEA coffee table and a large art on canvas for the short wall.

Red front door is a great idea…make sure it is the red in your rug.

0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 6:16PM
Living room decor nightmare
Hello! I am new around here and I am SO excited that...
80's Nightmare....living rooms
Our Florida home is stuck in the 80's. We are getting...
Living Room Nightmare
Help please! How do I make this room look 'put together'?...
Living room design nightmare
I give up! I can't get this space to work! I've wasted...
L Shaped Living Room - nightmare continues
Hi I had placed this question earlier and got some...
How far should these sconce be from mirror?
We're remodeling our fireplace and have decided to...
Need help with hardwood floors
I live in mid century home with hardwood floors. Installing...
Natuzzi quality
We purchased a Natuzzi sectional ten years ago and...
Boring Bedroom needs Quickie Update
I've grown tired of my minimalist bedroom and I am...
How should I update this Kitchen??
The decor is from previous owners. What should be the...