Need help setting up home office
fsuwatson24November 17, 2013
Need help setting up and decorating home office. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Keeping this furniture? Painting, flooring, furniture changes?
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 3:29PM
fsuwatson24
Yes on furniture. I can maybe find other places in my house if someone suggests something else, but trying to do this as inexpensive as possible. :)
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 3:38PM
Think about a tall storage piece to balance the door and window to hide a printer, files, etc. Lots of old media cabinets built for big televisions on craigslist now that repurpose as an office armoire well. Use some chalk paint to take one in the antique white or pale gray over blue-gray direction (sw jubilee looks like it might work with your walls) . I would want a very comfortable desk chair - - and not to have my back to the door. Put the other straight chair up against the wall somewhere you can pull it out as needed. Other really useful thing is simple shelves, and you may want to use floor lamps to really give the room character - look at some of the neat oversized options out there now. What if you put the armchair in the corner with the lamp currently and use the round side table with it and the lamp. You may be able to find a slipcover for it until you are ready to commit. Or choose some drapery fabric with gold and blue-gray and work with what you've got -
Then, try your desk perpendicular to the entry door so when you are siting at your desk you are looking out the front window. Use the short storage piece on the far wall slid way down to the left so you make kind of an L. Hang some terrific art on the wall opposite the door and the armoire or shelves on the wall opposite the window.
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 3:47PM
kimjdenny
Hi - I am in the process of re-doing the smallish office in our house - we just did some re-arranging and updating / adding furniture. Make sure to use wall space - tall shelves or bookcases are great. If they have an open back, will feel airier. Here are some work in progress pics if this helps w ideas. Desk is new, from world market - LOVE it since we can fit 2 laptops when on occasion 2 ppl in family need office space. New bookshelves also from world market - love them too. I used chalk paint on the previously brown file cabinet we have had from Costco and added new knobs. Printer stand - thrift store find painted w chalk paint and chair thrift store find , painted w chalk paint and I did all the recovering except cushions - hired that part out. Also I made the picture ledge and also painted floor lamp. I am NOT a crafty person and have surprised myself on what I could do. Just knew I wanted a calm beachyish vibe - so keep in mind your end state when planning, what type of feeling you want from the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:21PM
Saw this and thought of your space...

1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:23PM
fsuwatson24
Love all the ideas. Still trying to figure out how to float desk with computer??!!!
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:36PM
fsuwatson24
Kim, your office is very cute! Love the feel of it
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 5:26PM
kimjdenny
Thx - I love it too - finally after 15 years... The room was a nursery ( when doors were solid) and where the desk is now, had our old living room couch for a number of years. I decided about 2 months ago to finally make better use of the space again - and a place that I actually enjoyed spending time in :)
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 5:44PM
kimjdenny
This is a little better perspective.
    Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 5:46PM
Don't have to completely float - use the cabinet you now have on the wall, use desk perpendicular in front to make an L and then use the Ikea cord covers down the far side of the desk to handle the run back to the side cabinet
    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 10:42AM
Need advice designing home office
Hi all, I hope you can help! We are redoing our little...
kasien
Help - I need help for home office layout
I work out of a small home office. I bought a couple...
sritter1202
Need help setting up homeschool room in our first home.
We just purchased our first home, a fixer we love in...
Jeanie Borawski
Need help turning a NY music room/office into a nursery/office
Our room is currently a catch-all and full of random...
Dana D.
I need advice on setting up my living room / home office!
Hi, I need your suggestion(s) on setting up my new...
kevin_fer13
Ugliest house on the street
Hate my veranda it's only big enough for two. Would...
sunnysideforever
What can I do to improve the curb appeal of this small home
I would like to improve the curb appeal of my small...
dmanuel3
Need help deciding which granite color to use.
We're constructing a new home with an open floor plan;...
debbieharrell
need help for my master bathroom layout
Walls for closet are partition walls and flexible to...
Shaynis Connor
I don't know how to start
Decorating ideas please
lalycute