Masking / disgusting the side of a kitchen cabinet
rajalicious
Hi, my apartment has a combined living room & kitchen. The living room walls are painted blue/grey (Crown's New York fashion) and almond white. The kitchen cabinets are mdf / thermofoil with the doors being cream / off yellow with the kitchen cabinet sides and trim having a "wood effect" finish.

I'd like to mask / disguise the exposed sides of the kitchen cabinets (e.g see behind the white sofa). Mu ideas to date are as follows:
1. Covering the side with wallpaper: http://www.ilovewallpaper.co.uk/wallpaper-c1/patterned-wallpaper-c2/magnum-striped-wallpaper-orange-gold-grey-p1573
2. Covering with perpex
3. From what I've read, paint isn't an option due to the difficulty in getting a good finish.

In an ideal world, I'd like to replace the whole kitchen but recent financial constraints mean my budget will not stretch to this for a while. A possible short to medium term solution is to replace the doors so they are white.

I attach a couple of extra picture for people to get a feel for the room.

Many thanks in advance,
Raj.
novicenoodler
Do you want to paint the faux wood sides of all the cabinets, or just the large one in your first photo? If just the large one, I'd say paint it to match the walls and blend in. It might not be a perfect finish, but this is temporary anyway.
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 5:25PM
rajalicious
May be a couple of years before I can so I don't think paint is an option. Thanks anyway.
0 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 5:31PM
I think anything you do to the front of the cabinet doors will look like a band aide fix and wallpaper on cabinets do not look good IMHO. The cabinets really do not look bad to me. I'd live with it and save for your new cabinets.
2 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 5:39PM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Storage / display screening to allow some light and see-through while masking the cabinets?
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 5:43PM
I don't think they look that bad, Maybe they look worse in person? But if paint won't work, I'd leave them.

BTW, I love the colors in your room, but please lower the pictures over your sofa. They really are too small, but they are way way way too high and too far apart. Hang them about 10 inches above the back of the sofa and about two inches apart. (And if you can afford to frame them, that will make them larger.)
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 5:47PM
novicenoodler
I agree with others in that case, if you don't want to paint, they don't look too bad and I would just wait until you can afford better later.

Grover, I've been looking for you! I have a color/rug dilemma in my parlor...
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 5:50PM
sirintornclay
An idea is to give the perception there are two distinct rooms using panel curtains such as the ones sold at Ikea - (example) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70236896/. They can be placed on each side of the kitchen to hide the side of the cabinets. The rooms look a little disjointed as the living room looks contemporary (sans the floppy sofa). [I forgot to add the following....] This is probably the cheapest option to tie the rooms together. In addition, try adding short contemporary fake plants or decorative elements to the top of your kitchen cabinets. This will also help tie the contemporary look of your living room (sans the floppy couch) and your kitchen.
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 5:53PM
chookchook2
Hang one or two vertical format( portrait format) artworks on the side of the cupboard.
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 5:53PM
Terri Smith
I have/had the same finish on my cabinets. I used regular latex paint on the "wood grain" sides and cabinet doors. they look good, but as the paint was water based, I can never deep clean any stain or smudges off. It was suggested I use an oil base paint followed by a sealant to make them washable. Asked the guy at the hardware store for advice on type of paint if you chose to go that route.
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 5:58PM
rajalicious
Many thanks everyone for the feedback ... especially the idea of a screen though the windows are north facing so I don't want to block any natural light. ...food for thought ...

@ Groveraxle - Thanks for the additional feedback on the artwork. I have a 3rd piece which I think I'll add to the wall. Just out of interest, do you think that I should mount these on the grey wall instead? I was going to put a collage of white photo frames but I'm currently undecided.

Many thanks again.
0 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 6:16PM
This is the approximate scale and height and distance apart your artwork should be for that wall.
0 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 7:58PM
rustoleumtransformations.com might help. There is also this: Thomas Liquid Stainless Steel
0 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 9:08PM
What to do with off center fireplace, tv and furniture placement.
My 1954 ranchelo living room is 15 x 13 and I don't...
zeeveezee
I need help with making my ideas cohesive
I love several types of styles, rustic, mid-century...
April DuBose
Keep the tub or remove?
I will be putting in a shower should I keep the tub...
slh0303
Does composite decking really get too hot?
Our spring project is building either a deck or a patio....
libratravel
Central pendants dilemma
Here's a very good example of our interior design approach...
VANGUARD development