what to do with sunroom furniture/arrangements
restonite
the sun room is right off the kitchen and is long and narrow (9 1/2"X18') with lots of windows and light. i have tired everything and finally just decided to empty it out and start over. few things that need to stay -- the black storage cubbie, some but maybe not all of the retro tables. been thinking of a sectional even though it's a small space since my husband needs a place to put his foot on i.e. ottoman since he sits there and reads unless he can have recliner. it's a space that everyone loves cause of the sunshine from the windows and my grand children like to play there also -- ergo toy storage.
ruthieagibson
I have a similar room and issue. I am thinking of 4 chairs plus a couple ottomans for seating . A large round coffee table plus small side tables that can be moved around. A bookcase and another small piece of furniture for storage of books, games, toys etc. ( I also have grand kids ). Maybe something similar would work for you.
November 18, 2013 at 10:19PM      Thanked by restonite
karemore55
Hi restonite, what a great sunroom you have there! Love the floors too. Rather than a sectional, I would suggest a sofa with chaise attached. Hubby can stretch out on the chaise end, and you can use an ottoman for anyone else using the sofa.

The Axis II sofa with chaise from Crate and Barrel would fit on your short wall - it is just under 9' wide. At the chaise end, it would come out 67" - would this work? It would make the room seem wider, as well as shorten up the hallway-like length.

You should be able to keep at least one, if not both, of your wicker chairs in there and hopefully the end table. The coffee table would work if you're willing to use that instead of an ottoman.

Generally, I think your lovely room just needs to be streamlined so it doesn't look cluttered, and the best way to do this is to have less pieces in there. The white cupboard could be edited down to just one or two pieces sitting on top of it, and a nice piece of art above it. The second pic below is a fun faux fur ottoman from West Elm that the grandkids might get a kick out of.

Don't forget to add lots of bright pillows to the sofa - you'll never want to leave this room!
November 18, 2013 at 10:54PM        Thanked by restonite
karemore55
You could add a couple of extra ottomans for seating for the little ones. The first is from Pier One. Second is from Shades Of Light. And you'll need a good lamp in the corner of the chaise for reading.
November 18, 2013 at 10:57PM   
restonite
kare, i love your suggestions. i was thinking of a two piece reversible sectional but am not sure whether it would overwhelm the space but perhaps with fewer pieces in the room it would be less cluttered. i had an apartment size sofa and matching chair with ottoman in there and it wasn't bad but with the tables and storage stuff it seemed cluttered. am not very good assessing scale of furnture. what about an area rug?
November 18, 2013 at 11:10PM   
karemore55
Restonite, ?Yes I had wondered about a rug, but you say everyone likes to be in there, including your grandkids, so I pictured all manner of food and drinks being sloshed around lol! At least it,was like that with my own kids not too many years ago!

If you'd like a rug, the first one I posted below is from Pier One, so inexpensive, bright and cheerful, and would be pretty good at hiding spills. The second is from West Elm - a little softer in color, but maybe better if you want the room to feel more calming.
November 18, 2013 at 11:39PM   
karemore55
You could do the sectional, but yes they take up so much room and make throw off the balance. If you can picture the side that would be on the long wall - it would be just,over 3' deep,,then you would need 18" space between it and a coffee table, and the coffee table itself would be at least 24" deep,so we are up to almost 7'. This would just leave 2 1/2' fee before you reach the opposite wall. Plus it would leave less room for the toy cubbies etc. Sectionals tend to be inflexible anyway - great for a good-sized family room, but a bit of a beast in smaller spaces.
November 18, 2013 at 11:44PM   
karemore55
Yes, controlling clutter by having just a few well-chosen pieces is the way to go. Even knick knacks sitting out seem to make a room look busy and messy!

I haven't mentioned focal points yet. In your sunroom it's most likely all about the view, so if that's the first thing you notice when you come into the room, then that's your focal point. If the room needs a little help with a focal point, I suggest using that white cupboard with a great piece of art over it, and maybe just one beautiful dish or piece of pottery to create a nice little vignette that will be your focal point.
November 18, 2013 at 11:50PM      Thanked by restonite
karemore55
Oh, and the lamp - it's a nice lamp so should definitely stay on the white cupboard!
November 18, 2013 at 11:51PM      Thanked by restonite
restonite
kare, i love rug but don't you think it may be too skimpy for the room unless i could put two together. i had a 5X8 in there and it seemed to work. two of my grand kids that i see frequently, believe it or not, do not eat or drink anywhere but in the kitchen or dining room and always seated -- maybe occasional popcorn or raw veggies for snacks when they watch pbs kids at a laptop station i set up for them in the family room.
November 19, 2013 at 12:11AM     
restonite
ruthie, please send me pix of your room when you are working on it.
November 19, 2013 at 12:14AM   
restonite
kare, i was referring to the pier1 rug that has all the colors in my house - blue, green, gray, orange.
November 19, 2013 at 12:17AM   
karemore55
Restonite, Sorry I hadnt noticed that the rug only comes in 3 X 5. Ideally, it should be 8 X 10. I found this one on wayfair.com. It's $600. for the 8 X 10 size, possibly less as I'm in Canada and I'm not sure if the price is showing higher for little old me:))
November 19, 2013 at 12:50AM        Thanked by restonite
Need help with the furniture/arrangement of the living room!
Need help deciding what type of sofa/armchair/storage...
Furniture arrangement/ what do I use this room for?!
I have this room in our home we are building. It's...
Living room furniture arrangement - what to do?
Our formal living room is a part of a very large open...
How to arrange furniture - what furniture to buy?
Our family room is approx. 20' by 15'. One long wall...
What's the hardest thing to clean in your house?
Surely there is something in your house that involves...
Would LOVE some new paint color ideas for my DINING, LIVING and FOYER
I am tired of the gold and red in my dining room, living...
Updating Kitchn
I'm planning to update my kitchen, but am not completely...
Could I use these pendant lights over a fairly large kitchen island?
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the space as...