TV mount on veneer wall
kyle_s7
November 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm doing a veneer stone wall in my living room and wanted to know the proper way to mount the tv. Do I mount the tv bracket with a spacer to accommodate the the thickness of the stone and do the veneer around the mounting bracket? Or is there a proper way to mount the bracket over top of the veneer stone? I ask because the stones are all different thickness and do not sit flat. Thanks in advance :) here is a pic btw of what I want it to look like!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bungalowmo
The best thing is to NOT mount it above your fireplace.

Tv is for entertainment...fireplace is for ambiance. To have the tv on & fireplace lit as well...it becomes distracting to the eye. Besides the fact that having the tv mounted that high, it's not the natural viewing area for the eye.

I try to suggest this in the nicest way possible. It is what I do for a living...Audio Visual Design Engineer. It's my job to know these things.

Form should always follow function.
4 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 6:23PM
fredm51
The problem is the normal temperature for an electrical burnin room to test electronic equipment is 104 degrees. The added heat stresses the tv to show any bad components. The tv will fail sooner stressed like this day after day. I do not know how far you have come with your wall but measure the temperature where the base if the tv would stand, if over 90 degree think about a mantle if over 100 think about moving it. If it is not use metal standoff knowing where the studs are insert the standoff into the veneer using a masonary drill and screw mount into studs.
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 7:04PM
kyle_s7
Thanks for the comments so far. I also do have a floating shelf underneath the tv (or mantel)
0 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 7:43PM
Jolene
Love our mounted TV over the fireplace. Yes it is a little high, but it was the best location. Heat and ambience wise we are in Southern CA so despite having two fire places in a 2040 square foot house one has never been turned on and one is only used a few time a year.... We had it professionally installed so heat and etc was all considered.
1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 7:49PM
escolat
I so agree with bungalowmo...a tv should not be mounted on the fireplace...your neck is going to become sore from looking up constantly and it ruins the fireplace's beauty!
0 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 10:15PM
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Despite the popular opinion here, the majority of the fireplaces we install end up with TVs over the top. There's rarely a better place to put it.

The best way to do what you are describing is to lag/liquid nail a piece of 2x to the wall framing that will be just big enough to attach your TV bracket. We usually use a 2x8 or 2x10. We also extend the electrical/cabling through the blocking or right next to it.

Then you can run your stone to the blocking. Even if the stone is a little thicker than 1-1/2", you should be able to mount your TV with no problem.
1 Like   November 19, 2013 at 11:08AM
bungalowmo
"There's rarely a better place to put it".

That's nuts. Where did they go when they were CRT's? Cop out.
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 11:26AM
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
btw, bungalowmo, that's where they put them when they were CRTs, too, except it was uglier.

I've got hundreds of these photos. Awful.
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 11:40AM
PRO
TMK Remodeling
Agree with coastroad to provide blocking for the bracket if you are still in the rough-in construction phase. If you are already finished then you will need to locate the framing members in the wall to fasten the bracket properly. You can do this with test boring through the joints in the stone veneer to locate the wall frame and patch (or cover with the bracket and flat panel) You will probably need to shim the bracket to account for the different thicknesses of the stone veneer pieces. I would use metal washers if you have nothing else. The mounting fasteners (3" lag screws typically) would need to be long enough to pass through the layers of veneer and drywall. You may need to substitute with longer ones (say 4.5") at the hardware store. Good luck with it.

BTW - love my flat panel over my wood burning insert. Nothing better than watching the ball game while enjoying the warmth of the fire.
3 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 11:41AM
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
To be clear, I am not RECOMMENDING that anyone place their fireplace above their TV, it's just that's where most of them end up. :-)
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 11:42AM
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
P.S. sorry to temporarily de-rail the thread, kyle_s7
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 11:43AM
kyle_s7
Thank you TMK and Coastroad, you were the only 2 who actually answered my question, it wasn't a style question, it was about how to hang the tv on a veneer wall. I'm doing the blocking and veneer around the tv mount. I just wasn't sure if there was an easy and proper way to do over top of the veneer. But thanks again guys for ACTUALLY answering my question! Lol
2 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 11:56AM
PRO
Soulier Design Studio
Hi Kyle_s7. You will never get anyone to agree on this topic. There is validity with all comments. On a personal note, I have my TV above my fireplace, however, my fireplace is quite a bit lower than the one in your picture and therefore my television is also much lower. I prefer one focal point and I do not find my fireplace distracting to my eyes. I would have to agree with bungalowmo, that the tv in your picture is quite high and would not be a comfortable height for viewing = VERY SORE NECK. Here is a pic of my tv/fireplace. All the best to you!
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 12:40PM
PRO
TMK Remodeling
@SDS It looks like the tv is actually above the fireplace. Now putting the fireplace over the TV - that would be a neat trick!
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 2:50PM
PRO
Soulier Design Studio
Thanks TMK Remodeling. I have edited my comment. Thanks for pointing that out. Yes having the fireplace over the TV would be a really neat trick!!!
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 3:41PM