What is reasonable to expect of professional painters?
Piff
I bought my first apartment and am renovating it. I paid painters 1500 to paint all nooks and crannies of my apartment (they are almost finished - I still have not made the final payment).

I went in there tonight and saw a few issues that are bugging me. I want to demand they fix all of these but am particularly wondering if number 2 is an unreasonable ask.

1. One of the walls (the first one painted) is bubbling up. I'm concerned this will happen to other walls as they dry after they've gotten all of their money (final deposit not yet paid). I think this happened because they didn't wipe the walls down (dusty from construction) before they started (even though I asked them to and they said yes!). I pointed the bubbling out to one of the guys today and he said they would pull it off and plaster underneath and redo. I'm concerned (a) this is going to give me that patchy/plaster-y wall when it was pristinely smooth originally and (b) I'm not sure that that will fix the problem (unless they do it literally everywhere) because I am pretty worried bubbles are going to pop up all over the apartment given how dusty it was.

2. Uneven (not terrible but you know not perfectly straight either) lines along baseboard and ceiling (some of my wall colors are striking so you can really see it).

3. Paint on the light fixtures.

4. Paint on my (brand new) floors. (This will come off right????? It's just latex.)
unwantedadvice
Piff, all of your issues with the painters is completely legitimate! Of course the paint is bubbling up because the walls were not sufficiently cleaned and prepped. Paint on light fixtures is a rookie mistake as well as on the flooring. Sure it will come off the floor but a pain to do nonetheless. And uneven lines is certainly not what you would expect to see from pro painters.

I would speak to owner of company and have him/her come for an inspection and point out these obvious mistakes. And I certainly would not pay them any more money until you are satisfied with their work. Make sure you take date-stamped pics as well for back up proof.

I have no idea what size the paint job was, but you should be getting more professional results, regardless of how much money is being spent.
November 18, 2013 at 9:53pm     
Piff
Thanks very much. I'm going to speak with my contact in a few minutes - he's coming to my apartment.
November 19, 2013 at 6:15am     
unwantedadvice
Piff, what happened with the painters?
November 20, 2013 at 5:00pm     
chookchook2
I do a better job than that and I don't call myself a professional painter. Agree with unwantedadvice. Have friend present for witness/ moral support when you deal with them, and don't worry about their opinion of you.
November 20, 2013 at 5:12pm     
Fred S
Chookchook, have your husband hand you a penny, then you could call yourself a pro on here :)
November 20, 2013 at 7:48pm     
chookchook2
So there you are, Fred! I can't finish the walls until he moves some more wall units for me ! So no pennies for me. Perhaps I could charge for all the free advice I give him?
November 21, 2013 at 7:07am   
Does anybody know of any 74.5 in. bathroom vanities on sale?
This is just speculation right now since it'll be a...
Bathroom Vanity Mirror Size and Frame Colour
I am having a mirror made for the area above the vanity...
Bathroom mirror vanity size and frame colour
Need help badly!!
Driving my self crazy trying to pick lamps out for...
Need backsplash suggestions
We are building a home and are doing our own backsplash....