My first apartment. To carpet or not?
Jessica De Jesus
Hi houzzers! I just moved in my first apartment!! I would like to ask opinion if I should put a carpet/rug in my living room. I live in a tiny 390 sqf apartment with close kitchen. The walls are still bare aswell as Im waiting for the perfect art work. Any ideas/opinions are welcome.
PirateFoxy
You have the design on the floor doing a similar job to a rug in terms of providing some visual interest, so I think it'd depend more on if you feel like a rug would make it a nicer space from a comfort point of view - rugs can improve the acoustics a bit if the room sounds a bit cold and loud, and of course are often nice and soft underfoot. (Or if you dislike the design on the floor, which would be a valid reason to get a rug also. :) )

My one key point would be if you do get a rug, make sure you get one of a size that none of the existing floor design is going to peek out - I think that would look very odd.

(Putting up curtains with a bit more body to them than just sheers would probably help soften the feel of the room, also.)
November 19, 2013 at 5:29am        Thanked by Jessica De Jesus
blrussell
I would put the ottoman in front of the day bed and center the chair. Pillows and a throw would had some color. Don't think you need a rug. "Perfect" artwork needed...enjoy shopping.
November 19, 2013 at 5:34am        Thanked by Jessica De Jesus
victorianbungalowranch
I would swap out the tall cabinet and the end table to show off that pretty daybed more. And add a pillow to the white chair and ottoman to make it look more inviting. How about a big tapestry over the couch picking up the greens and rusts and creams you have? Add some pictures or the mirror over the table and maybe a column of pictures to the side of the TV (off center, not over it) and it could look nice. You might have room for a sidechair next to the TV, or a nice CD cabinet, or big plant.

Maybe a high shelf or a row of cabinets above the kitchen door all the way across could give you some storage. I could see putting in a loft too at either end. Your ceilings are very high and it seems a shame to waste that space. I've seen some nice rooms with a bookshelf at that level all around the room too.

I like the tile floor! Maybe a folaki (sp? furry wool rug) set at an angle would add a bit of softness and not completely cover it.

Just wondering--is this in the Middle East someplace? I like the doors too.
November 19, 2013 at 6:16am     
Sustainable Dwellings
Tile floor, gorgeous! Put a Flokati rug down. Get some nice bedding for that day bed. Very neat space.
November 19, 2013 at 6:21am     
Curt D'Onofrio
Overhead shelves/cabinets might be good looking. But, a word of caution. If you do not own the apartment, i.e. you're renting it, then ask the landlord to install them. They tend to frown on tenets putting holds in their walls. Likewise, there are picture hangers that are glued to the wall. Don't mean to be a bumper. Just looking out for your security deposit
November 19, 2013 at 6:30am     
Jessica De Jesus
thank you all for the suggestions. unfortunately i could not put any permanent fixtures as I am renting. Yes I live in the Middle East, Dubai to be specific. I would certainly add more throw pillows. Very valid point about the carpet covering up the whole pattern in the floor, but going against it now as its quite expensive. Maybe a flokati will do? Just under the acrylic table?
How about the wall by the extendable table? maybe a collage photo frames? Im thinking of putting up my travel photos but maybe its too cheeky/corny?
November 19, 2013 at 8:49am   
Have that mirror cut (or just buy on the right size) to match your window glass. Buy trim molding and "install" a "faux" 3rd window. Center the day bed under it and use the hassock as your coffee table, topped with a tray. Buy matching floor lamps for each end of the daybed, and rich curtains to flank it. They should barely cover the edges of the outside windows and cover the entire wall to the corner on both sides, making your daybed the star and focal point of the room. Sheers in the center portion will help camouflage the faux window. Swap out the tall chest and the table with stools. Move your chair to the left of the table where the chest is now, and add a vertical piece of art above the table ( it should be 75% of the table's width.) Buy a swivel base to set the TV on for more flexible viewing. If you want a rug, buy it it first (big enough to cover the floor pattern) and then get pillows for the daybed in colors from the rug.
November 19, 2013 at 8:54am     
Debby Huvaere
I'd skip the rug, unless you don't like the pattern on the floor. I would, however, rearrange the furniture: have the TV console and the couch more centered with the pattern, put the mirror against the longer wall (side TV) and put the cabinet on the other side of the couch.
November 19, 2013 at 9:25am     
No carpet, unless in a very cold area. But, I still prefer area rugs. Go. Very big 8x11 or bigger put in front of day bed. Go a bold print and color, very graphic contemporary. Then take one color from rug and put new panels on window, I would go floor to ceiling And cover whole wall. To make it seem bigger. I like what you have done. You just need to warm it up with color,and texture.a. Dd plants to corners. Art over day bed. Ikea has some nice ones. Add mirror over dining table to reflect light.
November 19, 2013 at 9:32am     
jimbo29
Skipping the rug might be an option. If you need one, then perhaps a hallway runner can do the job.
November 19, 2013 at 9:33am     
A new chandelier and drop dn should be 7 ft from floor. Get brush nickel. Bigger that what's there. No gold anywhere. Stay in silver look. A round ottoman in front of bed, in a color. Instead of lucite.
November 19, 2013 at 9:34am     
That mirror by window put on wall over dining hang vertically.
November 19, 2013 at 9:35am     
Add bold color pillows in graphic type print like chevron, Ikat on chairs.
November 19, 2013 at 9:36am   
Jessica De Jesus
thanks everyone! Hallway runner sounds good aswell, in a bold color no? I agree that furnitures are not centered according to the floor design but since daybed is used by guest, a little privacy is given by the drawers and that its against the wall for daybed user. (when someone comes in the front door) And i always always have guest around. Its a very good idea thou to place it by the window, but then again the privacy.. hmmm.. The mirror is due to be hanged on the wall next to window, as suggested by one houzzer to make an illusion of another window.
November 19, 2013 at 9:50am     
someone
Center daybed on the tiled "rug" on floor.
November 19, 2013 at 10:06am     
frenchiegirl
First I would put up taller curtains because of high ceiling ,then I would put together the bureau next to the tv center together ,add a tall mirror by that little table ,and find a small table adjacent to sofa /bed and if adding a carpet make it bigger than the design and also beef up the sofa with a throw and pillows .
November 19, 2013 at 10:10am     
frenchiegirl
And rearrange the small chair by the sofa instead of bureau and ottoman in front of daybed and nice big art above daybed.
November 19, 2013 at 10:14am     
ilsephilips
Personally, I think it's a shame to cover such a beautiful floor with a carpet, unless you don't like it ;-)
I would swap the tall cabinet with the daybed. That way your daybed is pretty much 'in line/centered' with the beautiful carpet-floor. I would add larger curtains and get rid of the mirror. Put the ottoman in front of the daybed. Because it's all white colored, it feels to me a bit cold. Ofcourse, I don't know if you live in a very very warm country. I would add a lot of (warm) colored cushions, cushions in fake fur or cuddly fabrics and plaids to add some cosiness in your living room. And put a large piece of art above your daybed. Make sure to tune the colors of the art piece and the cushions.
November 19, 2013 at 10:56am     
Have you tried putting the daybed in front of the window?

If it fits, you could slide the t v down to the middle of your floor inlay and have the two chairs opposite it.

I vote no rug.
November 19, 2013 at 11:10am        Thanked by Jessica De Jesus
victorianbungalowranch
Check with your landlord, but shelves and such aren't permanent and can be removed. I have patched and spot painted every place I have ever lived in because wall space is too valuable to waste in a small space.
November 19, 2013 at 2:14pm     
Unless you're sleeping in the same room with guests, I wouldn't worry about privacy. If it does become an issue,you should be able to purchase a decorative folding screen to shield the bed.
November 19, 2013 at 4:29pm     
Curt D'Onofrio
If you're renting it is possible to add permanent fixtures, but check with landlord first to see if your idea is a good one in his/her eyes. Just keep in mind that when you move out your fixtures may have to stay behind.
November 20, 2013 at 6:15am   
Need help in my first apartment!
I finally got my first apartment! My bedroom is big...
Got my first apartment it's so small HELP
I got 490 sqft condo and I need major help. I don't...
My first apartment....No idea! Would love some input! :)
Hi all! Just purchased my frst apartment and im a...
Moving out in to my first apartment.
I am heading back to the north east after working several...
Bought my first apartment, need some ideas
I have bought the furniture so far but the hard part...
Rug selection
Want to decorate with a SW theme, but hesitate using...
Too many colors! What to do?
As you can see I have the to many colors/textures ...
Help with decorating ideas
We have recently moved in and need to decorate our...
Need ceiling fan assistance
These are the pictures of our Master Bedroom. We are...