POLL: #1 must have for Thanksgiving?
Houzz Polls
November 19, 2013 in Polls
Hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year? What's your #1 must have to prep for the big night?

Vote below! To enter the drawing to win a pair of Houzz slippers, post a comment (or photo) telling us your favorite Thanksgiving dish.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 11/27/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
2 ovens are essential
Deep fryer - can't do turkey any other way
Large refrigerator for leftovers
I would never host without a dishwasher
Phone - I order Thanksgiving dinner
Other - Tell us below!
motownmom
My "other" is not anything you listed. I have to have lists. My list has 1) what I'm preparing, 2) prep times, backing into my start time for each recipe, and 3) a grocery list prepared from recipes. I then determine the serving dishes/platters and utensils I need, and how to set the table. I can figure out the rest of your poll items, how to cook it in one oven, how much room to leave in the fridge, and how many dishes my dishwasher will hold. :)
11 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 1:17PM
indianpatti
My #1 must have would be seating for every guest.
3 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 1:27PM
yoboseiyo
my "other" would be a kitchen that actually functions! mine doesn't!
1 Like   November 19, 2013 at 1:34PM
Kari D
Lots of counter space. When I've hosted in years past not only is prepping space important, but we do a combination of family style and buffet style. So not only do I need a prep station, but I need a place (in addition to my server) for finished dishes.
5 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 4:03PM
747.2fra
My "other" is sanity. No crazy feast seasoned with stress and a side of unmet expectations for our household.
2 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 4:05PM
Anne
"Other" -- Reservations!
1 Like   November 19, 2013 at 4:16PM
Alicia N.
My "Other" would be family! Yes, we all have the times where our families fight and all but in the end what's thanksgiving with out everyone around the table trading jokes, grubbing on a grandpa's turkey and sipping on a glass of wine? Thanksgiving can drive us crazy, especially since christmas is right around the corner but Thanksgiving is all about family. My favorite dish (food wise) on thanksgiving is my grandpa's cherry cake! My favorite drink is my uncles Sangria. The love of a bi-racial family!
4 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 4:54PM
Teresa S-j
I can make do with pretty much anything, but I really like having the dishwasher -- after prepping, cooking and serving, who wants do anything else but prop one's feet up? My other must have, which isn't listed, is lots of family!
3 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 4:58PM
Daniel DeSantis Interiors
Large refrigerator, definitely. I like to open the door and see the left overs stacked up. Dig in!
1 Like   November 19, 2013 at 7:04PM
Barnhart Gallery
My "Other" is easy -- kids. Since my S&BIL host Thxgiving each year, and I only have to do the centerpieces and a few side dishes, I send out an email to all of my son's friends' families who are busy getting ready for a crowd, inviting them to send me their kids while I arrange flowers and they sweat the hosting gig. I've had as many as a dozen kids running around the house -- puts me in a happy holiday mood to hear their laughter.
10 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 10:16PM
ladyamour
its awesome and amazing....
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 10:46PM
Barnhart Gallery
PS - Best turkey ever was by my bro, who smoked it, along with my family's traditional linguica stuffing. I missed it, so now I usually volunteer to bring along some butternut squash soup with chiorizo so that I can sneak a little of it into my stuffing at the in-laws. (Shhh!)
1 Like   November 19, 2013 at 10:50PM
LB Interiors
Leftovers in a large frig, if I have any after giving my kids some. A family tradition is stuffed artichokes as an appetizer. Stuffed with sausage/ground beef and brown rice with melted butter for dipping the leaves.
2 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 11:44PM
motownmom - I'm with you! Exactly!
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 2:57AM
rose17marie
Lots of wine! Before, during and after.
5 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 3:24AM
Gail Oliver @ Attention Getting Marketing
Plates and wine glasses for every guest. Every year I seem to be short. Plus, making sure everything is ready at the same time.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 4:33AM
THW Design
I miss having 2 ovens. I think every kitchen should have 2. One for the main course and one for the side or dessert. It would be the best Christmas gift ever.
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 5:18AM
adrianne_sterling
My number one must-haves are fresh rosemary, fresh sage, and green and white onions for my savory cornbread dressing. I hate to be caught the day before Thanksgiving going to the store.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 5:23AM
The Vintage Laundry
My family makes a southern cornbread dressing. It is made like a soufflé - light and fluffy. Best thing ever is a bite of this dressing topping with a bit of cranberry sauce!
2 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 5:28AM
Curt D'Onofrio
Pumpkin pie
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 5:35AM
Peggy
I keep a journal of how the dinner went last year so I only have to tweak it and not reinvent it. Lists are huge for me. Keeps me focused on what is the priority for each day so I can really enjoy family when everyone is here.
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 6:14AM
Sustainable Dwellings
I have a new pro kitchen and a gigantic fridge... I'm going somewhere else for Thanksgiving! Tried to organize fam/friends from afar... succumbed to an invite from local friends. I will take homeade rolls, stuffin muffins, cranberry/apple/walnut crisp, and Buffalo wings....
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 6:20AM
glynwoodgal
My must have is a house full of FAMILY. There a many holidays throughout the year, but the one favorite that really draws the family together is Thanksgiving! I think they come for my husband's secret ingredient gravy...
2 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:21AM
Rebecca Buckner
Our Thanksgiving always includes chocolate bourbon pecan pie...served after the dishes are done and the leftovers put away. Then an evening walk around the neighborhood.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:22AM
Katie Doss
Counter space. Without adequate counter space I feel as though I'm working on top of myself.
2 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 8:11AM
armipeg
A good working oven, and some helping hands. This is not a one man show. Family must pitch in to help.
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 8:12AM
mbgs
Steam lined organization or everything falls apart! Oh, and good wine!
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 8:15AM
melissap2
My "other" is someone else's house! Finally this year we get to show up with one dish and go home early for a nap!
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 8:42AM
sunshineks
I just want to have all the dishes my family love to eat ready and hot to eat, and after our fabulous meal spend the evening by the fire playing games and telling tale's of older times our kids love to hear. Special day, for use all.
2 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:51AM
lindsaychallen
A table large enough to seat all my family! No kids table, kids and grownups all enjoy the meal together. That's what it's all about after all :)
2 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 10:12AM
victorianbungalowranch
Two ovens and a large fridg would be nice, but I don't have either. The main thing I do the day or two before besides pick up supplies I've forgotten is make cranberry sauce, tear up bread for stuffing, chop and sauté onions, and make pies/dessert if I'm going to do that. Often I just opt for a crumble or something simple, or make pies the day after to go with the leftovers.

Actually, we have been known to have Thanksgiving on Friday rather than Thursday to make it less stressful for me, the cook. I don't do shopping on Black Friday anyway and rather be peaceful with family at home. Rushing around and spending the whole day in the kitchen and cleaning up isn't my idea of a holiday, so we sometimes do something simple like butternut squash soup the day of Thanksgiving and save the turkey for later.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 10:34AM
sandraleegarth
Heavy duty aluminum foil and containers for any leftovers.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 11:20AM
mil1946
Give me the basics...turkey, dressing, dessert, veggies, bread, tea, even paper plates...best of all, the thing I can't do without....time to spend with family and friends.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 11:21AM
Liza Hausman
Family for sure - and a potluck approach. This discussion makes me smile - and makes my stomach grumble!
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 11:26AM
Maggie Cohen, ASID, NCIDQ
Reservations!! Other than baking and decorating a fabulous life-size pumpkin cake, we enjoy the family meal in the same wonderful local restaurant every year. It's cozy, semi-private areas and great, great food are a real treat. Making and decorating the cake takes probably as long as creating an entire Thanksgiving meal, but it's much more fun...and no clean up!
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 2:53PM
ktf2011
My grandma's Sicilian stuffing is the best. She learned from her mother-in-law after she was married. (Grandma Nina immigrated from Sicily in the 1920s, so you know her stuffing is legit.)
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 5:53PM
muffin312
Home made pumpkin pie is my favorite dish....and fresh cranberries!
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 11:10AM
mswilder
Our Thanksgiving necessity is the outdoor oven - the Big Green Egg. The hubs makes the TO-DIE-FOR mesquite smoked turkey on our Big Green Egg.
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 11:19AM
Debra Zuloaga @ Lowe's Home Improvement
A " kid's " table or two is a Thanksgiving must for our big family dinner.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 7:31AM
Winterhouse Kitchens, Bath & Custom Woodwork
I just love having a double oven! I don't know how our moms did without it! Since we're still new to the hosing duties, it's the single most helpful item in the kitchen, for freeing us up to socialize while we cook.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 7:54AM
wens13
Seating and countertop space as we lay food out buffet style
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 10:41AM
Kerry Harrison
Large kitchen, that's where everyone gathers to watch you cook!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:17AM
brathy13
We need 4 cooking areas - double oven in our stove and an outdoor smoker (turkey 1) and a Weber grill (turkey 2)
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:26AM
guesswho727
Favorite dish would be pumpkin pie and the rolls! Really, I'll eat it all though and a fridge for all of the leftovers is a must.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 10:54AM
Monique's Bath Showroom
Other would be...Two ovens are great but two dishwashers are a must if you entertain a good deal. By the way our warming Tray is awesome at the holidays!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 1:07PM
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to @yoboseiyo for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this poll, don't worry, you still have time left to get your comments into our Neutral Colors poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/749727/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--What-s
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 3:59PM
ladyamour
congrats
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 9:32PM
unwantedadvice
Well done, yoboseiyo!
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 9:37PM
LB Interiors
Yippee!
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 10:28PM
ladyamour
job well done
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 10:35PM
Poll: Which Fall Storage Item is A Must Have For You?
Fall is HERE whether we like it or not so why not make...
California Closets New England
POLL: Do you have a 1, 2, or 3 car garage?
How big is the garage at your place? Are you parking...
POLL: Favorite Thanksgiving Dish? Tell us!
As many of us are readying our kitchens in preparation...
THANKSGIVING POLL: Turkey or Ham?
We are curious to see the results!! Which do you...
Fratantoni Lifestyles
Thanksgiving Poll: Which Room Is Best to Unwind in for the Holiday?
What are some of your favorite areas of the house to...
Admirals Bank
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
need elevated Netscape front porch ideas
Ugly brick house with terrible entrance
Craig Morris Contracting
Need help on drawers
My base cabinets have just been installed and I now...
betsy8989
I live in a cute little neighborhood in Raleigh, North Carolina. There
Small ranch What size patio? What colors for siding...
Corrine Landry_Lombardo
Need Help With Kitchen Cabinets
I'm having an impossible time finding cabinets that...
Louis Kim