Help with living room layout/design!

ManderNovember 19, 2013
Hi there! We just got a new rug and sectional and I'm stumped with the room now. The rug and sectional cannot be changed. The desk in the corner is going away and nothing will be in its place (the piano will not fit). The window wall is currently just dollhouse central for my 3 year old and can be changed. Ottoman or coffee table needs to be purchased, as does wall art. Need to be mindful of the budget right now.

Help? The TV cannot change position either, and we do need to be able to see if from the couch. Can rearrange furniture any direction (including moving the piano but it has to stay in this room). Can paint/stencil/hang anything.

Pardon the mess please!
jjatlgray
How about some greens to add some color to the space. Maybe even some geometric patterned pillows to add more appeal
1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:13AM
Mander
I was thinking some great pillows; I am a bit more concerned about the sofa/piano layout right now because it feels really awkward in here now! My last couches were separate pieces and were on the rug in a more comfortable layout. This sectional works better for our family needs, but it feels funny in this space!
    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:19AM
jjatlgray
I would move the piano to another space. Once you move it you can add a small table, bookcase or maybe some floating shelves.A big ottoman would look really nice. I like your sectional and where it is placed
1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:24AM
Would you consider floating the sectional so it is aligned with the opening/columns between the two spaces? This should also center it on the FP/TV. Then the piano might fit behind it. If you hang nice big art above the piano that will provide a visual counter balance to the FP/TV. I hope that is an interior wall the piano is on. The panoramic lens is distorting everything so suggestions are just a guess. We do better when we can judge proportions properly. If you'd care to post regular shots our suggestions might be more in line with what is really going on in the space. You can comment and use the Attach Images button to add pix.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:28AM
yoboseiyo
can the sectional come apart without looking bad?
because i think if you split them up, you'd have more layout options.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:33AM
Mander
The piano has to stay in this room, unfortunately. It is on an interior wall, but next to a window. I attached a straight shot to this comment. It's such a long space I was having a hard time getting individual shots that you could see the perspective on.

The sectional is large, I would happily float it but when we initially tried pushing it forward several feet it was difficult to get into the room, as you had to sort of come in next to the column and skirt towards the fireplace. We also tried flipping the U to face the kitchen, which was also a bit weird because it comes out so far - the long end of the couch is 135", so quite large. That put the chaise very close to the fireplace and again, difficult to walk around.

We are considering maybe covering the french doors with some sort of curtain and placing the piano there. Or possibly putting the couch at an angle, moving the piano from it's current location to on the same wall, but closest to the kitchen.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:42AM
Mander
The sectional is 3 pieces - the chaise can be separated. It will have an exposed metal bracket on the side for attaching, and it will be one armed, with the couch also being one armed. The side closest to the camera in the most recent picture is 3 cushions long, the wall end is a 2 cushion couch + the chaise. Hubby isn't fond of the idea of separating, but we haven't played around with doing so yet.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:44AM
Mander
Pardon the dark picture as the sun's gone done. Much better right?
    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 2:09PM
I'd still like to see the sofa pulled away from the wall - maybe just 18" onto the rug. Much better!
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 8:56AM
Mander
It might be kind of hard to see, but it's 19" away from the wall right now. Do you think the whole thing being on the rug would be better than the back legs hanging off?
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 9:01AM
Yes, I do. For balance either on or with the rug at exactly the 1/2 way point on the sofa, but I think totally on is best for your space. How much walk room will that leave behind it?
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 9:38AM
rayna001
i think you should add tables to each side of sofa, that will block the metal piece, (nesting) add lamps, but leave sofa 18in from wall. center the sofa in front of the fire place.
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 9:39AM
Mander
It's about 29" of exposed wood, from wall to rug. So if I move the sofa halfway on/off we'll have about 10" of walk room behind (so just an alley for the kids to squeak through). I can move the rug around some too, it's positioned now so the piano is on the hardwoods and so that it's not too close to the fireplace. I ended up scooting the L sofa a few more inches towards the window wall last night, b/c it felt too close to the chaise, esp once I get a coffee table there. I feel like if the sofa goes fully onto the rug, it'll feel too close to the chaise. We have some drywall work happening right now in this room, but once they're done we'll push it all the way onto the rug and see how it feels, and take a picture.
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:23AM
Mander
I agree that perhaps an end table for the sofa end, and I think an arch lamp behind the chaise for a reading nook. Any ideas for that huge blank wall? I was considering a series of 3 of these large canvases http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Fly-Black-and-White-Oversized-Gallery-Wrapped-Canvas/7665887/product.html That, or perhaps stencil that whole wall, but it stretches over the entry to the breakfast area so it might be awkward to have it extend over, and also awkward to stop it randomly. ??
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:25AM
okibujp
Mander, what is the width and length of your room? How much space do you have on either side of your fireplace?
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 3:06PM
okibujp
Mander, here is a layout design based on what I could see from your photos.
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 4:00PM
okibujp
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 4:02PM
Mander
Thank you! I have been told in no uncertain circumstances to put the piano on a window wall, though, so my options are pretty limited. It does seem to be working decently well now. We pulled the sofa fully onto the rug and I will take a pic in the sun tomorrow. It feels nice. I need to buy a coffee table, so that will change the look too (I am thinking maybe this one http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Mint-Coffee-Table/5206717/product.html). For reference, the room is about 16x19, with about 53" to the left of the fireplace and 99" to the right (b/c of the french doors).
    Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 5:54PM
Piano will probably have to be in FP corner and will counter balance the French doors. Otherwise, this floor plan works and a huge piece of art behind the sofa, as well as a smaller piece over the piano will be very nice. Note the rug is 1/2 way under the sofa as you view from the door, which works well. You might try an arc lamp in the corner to hover above the chaise and provide a nice spot for reading.
    Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 7:08AM
Mander
Sadly the piano is about 6" too wide to go next to the fireplace.
    Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 7:38AM
Mander
Ok here are a few more images of it in its current arrangement. I took several angles so you can see how the couch sits.
    Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 8:12AM
Mander
And one more, so you can see the nook. I actually quite like how it's split up now, b/c my kids can still have dollhouse central behind the couch and it's hidden from immediate view. I might like it a hair more halfway off the rug, because it makes that huge blank wall feel even more blank. The little nook is nice, I have a piece being framed to hang over the chaise, and with that lamp it'll feel cozy. Especially with the warmth of the fireplace! And sorry for the dark photos. It's hard, with all that light flooding in from the window wall, to get the room light to be balanced, with my iPhone camera.
    Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 8:16AM
The wider space behind the sectional allows the girls to get to the play area without passing in front of those on the sofa who might be in conversation. I do like the reading nook by the FP, but it still needs a reading lamp. Is there an outlet in that corner? Doesn't have to detract from the art, just suit the purpose.
Amoroso Design · More Info
Architectural and Interior Photography · More Info
Northern California Home · More Info
Contemporary Living Room · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 10:35AM
Mirror Windows
Either our "French Ensemble" model or 3 pieces of our "9 Lite Victoria", would look fantastic on the wall above the couch.
    Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 11:16AM
Need help with living room design and furniture layout
I just painted the living room ceiling muted blue/gray...
jfalkevitz
Needing help with living room/dining room layout
Hello, I have recently moved into a new apartment...
Six Silver
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
kris0330
I need help designing my living room (furniture and layouts please)
I need help designing my living room. Was thinking...
jenifferlou
Great Living Room - need layout/design advice
My LR is a 2 story, open layout with great light and...
aehatfield
I Need help !
I'm looking for a backsplah that will go with my counter...
jacinto12
need help designing my small kitchen
i need lots of space for my small kitchen, how do i...
jakwe
need help with my kitchen
kitchen work of my new appartment is going on and...
khan_rubina11
Sleuthing the perfect paint color
Hi! I'm trying to find a color that resembles the perfect...
sgmccann
Help with too much black furniture.
I posted a similar question to this recently, but wanted...
pennywurst