Need help with bathroom flooring.
centauritaNovember 19, 2013
The bathroom is not square, so there is one wall that has a slant. This means that a tile floor will end up looking wonky against that wall. I have thought about pebble mosaic tile, but don't like the idea of all that grout and the difficutly of cleaning it. I saw some tiny tiles somewhere with a random spatttering small black tiles mixed into white ones, that I thought might work. They were tiny squares I believe, but at any rate, I can't find them again. Does anyone have any ideas? I do not want vinyl or wood, so am I stuck with bare concrete?
Thanks for any help!
yoboseiyo
small mosaics will have the same "lots of grout" issue that the pebbles will have.

if you want to avoid grout lines, you might look into having the concrete stained or painted.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 19, 2013 at 10:47AM
Traditions in Tile
A good installer would be able to work out a pattern or layout that will minimize the 'wonkiness' of that slanted wall. We have a pebble product that is actually pebbles in a resin that are in 12x12 'tiles'. They would still have grout in between the 12x12 sized pieces and you would need an experienced installer to get a clean finished look.

That being said, bathroom floors are not terrible for cleaning purposes. Are we talking about the main bathroom floor, or a shower floor? There's definitely a difference. For a shower floor, mosaics are required for sloping and water drainage.

For a bathroom floor, a good grout sealer and regular mopping usually takes care of most issues. Using a larger tile though, maybe a plank, 6x24 or 12x24 inches on an angle, or herringbone pattern, might give a nice finished look with the slanted wall and fewer grout joints.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 19, 2013 at 10:54AM
centaurita
Here is a sketch. The crooked wall is the one on the Left. The room is slightly wider at the top (of the sketch) than the bottom if that makes sense. The rest of the walls are square.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 10:59AM
centaurita
Traditions, Thanks for your advice. It is the actual floor, not the shower.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:01AM
Traditions in Tile
Looking at this sketch, I honestly wouldn't worry that much about it. With the positioning of the shower, tub, vanity, etc, I think a pattern on the floor will cover a lot of the slant issue. I was picturing a 20 or 30 degree angle on a wall front to back.
    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 19, 2013 at 11:05AM
Traditions in Tile
Some pattern options and one slate photo showing a curved wall usage.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 19, 2013 at 11:06AM
ruthmand
This idea book has lots of ideas on small tile for bathroom floors that could hide your problem (click on the Ideabook line for more photos)

1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 19, 2013 at 11:11AM
yoboseiyo
oh, well that's not so bad. i was thinking that it was a big difference.
    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 19, 2013 at 11:34AM
centaurita
It was explained to me that on a 40 run the difference would be a 1' out of square, so I guess it is like 3-4 inches out of square?!
    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:52AM
centaurita
ruthmand, I see the tile of I was thinking of on that link you posted :) Thanks, maybe I can find a source around here (central Ohio). Do you think this will make the crooked line at the wall less noticeable?

1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:58AM
ruthmand
DefiniteIy, and I think it would look great with some larger tile, subway maybe, on shower & walls. It also gives you lots of options for colorful accents in your bathroom without tying you down to specific color. Can't go wrong with black & white!
    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 19, 2013 at 12:16PM
Re-Bath Northeast
Lay your tile in a brick pattern and it will hide more of the imperfections of your bathroom. This picture isn't the greatest because we didn't use grout but you can get the idea. We lay our tile like this in many bathrooms. The homes in our area are quite old and almost never square. With grout it will look even better.
    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 20, 2013 at 1:57PM
Island Stone
Per your description you may be referring to a design such as our "random squares" (http://www.islandstone.com/product-detail.php?id=53&keywords=Random_Squares), other alternatives to classic pebble tile are pebbles with a sliced surface. We carry them under the "level pebble line (http://www.islandstone.com/product-detail.php?id=55&keywords=Level_Pebble)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 23, 2013 at 7:15PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Lay tile on point or diagonal, you will never notice the weird wonky wall.

In terms of grout, if you use Laticrete's Spectralock Epoxy grout, it will not mold or mildew, it will never stain and there is no need to seal it. I have used it with pebble mosaics many times with great success.

I know you mentioned that you did not want vinyl, but you need to check Karndean's Luxury Vinyl tile. Their Michelangelo series, in Spanish pebble comes in two different color ways. It is so realistic and installs great over concrete.
    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 23, 2013 at 7:37PM
bubbasgma
I'm considering the Karndean LooseLay for our lower level. Left a sample on the floor while we have been demo-ing/rebuilding and it remains unscathed! Pretty impressive stuff.
    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 23, 2013 at 8:37PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
I have been an authorized dealer of the Karndean International Floor product for years, it is extremely durable. I first found their product while designing a veterinarian clinic. I wanted something that was easy maintenance, durable to pet claws and urine, as well as chemicals that would be used in the clinic. After 8 years it still looks new!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 23, 2013 at 8:44PM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Your installer will be able to lay out the pattern so tat the effect is minimized, even if you choose a grid pattern. However, laying the tiles diagonally would likely eliminate the problem altogether.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 23, 2013 at 9:29PM
centaurita
Thanks Everyone for all of your wonderful ideas! I feel much better now about choosing the floor. I feel like I have more options thanks to all the great advice.
I have already warned my tile guy so he knows what he's getting into.
    Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 6:55AM
Glass Tile Store
Hi centaurita, our cobblestone tiles are also sold in sheets if you are interested. Just go to glasstilestore.com
    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 25, 2013 at 7:35AM
leelee
Don't do anything that would call attention to the slant!!! It sounds like a defect in the wall. Go with something simple and repeat a version of the same material on the floor and the walls. Stay away from pebble stone look.

Yes, lay tile on the diagonal--almost always looks better in any room.
    Bookmark   Thanked by centaurita    November 25, 2013 at 7:49AM
Need help for bathroom flooring
I've picked out Honey onyx for the walls, but am having...
rastrandmark
need help with my bathroom floor
what grout did you use on your white quartz bathroom...
dhanpooj
Need help finding bathroom floor border tiles.
Where can I find 3x6or3x8 inch Sapphire colored floor...
nursejanefuzzywuzzy
Need help for bathroom flooring for a kids/hall bath
Is travertine a good choice for bathroom floor?
gladstone7
Need help with guest bathroom flooring and counter top.
My dark oak cabinetry is staying but I need to know...
jerigreene
Bathroom update...my husband likes the big mirror, and I don't!
We purchased a home built in the 70's. The vanity...
Nancy Blowers
Which blind colour? Please help
Hi design world, please help us make a decision on...
haylz24
Chandelier size
I have a chopped up master bath and am doing some upgrading....
Kathryn Mccall-hagin
Layout of kitchen
Will take out old built in. Move sink below window....
222612
Latest RTA Toffee Kitchen Cabinets Done By Lily Ann Cabinets
Hello Houzzer, i would like to share our latest...
Lily Ann Cabinets