Should I paint the cabinets?
Janice Pollard
I posted a topic the other day on wall colors, because I want to minimize the pink cast of pickled oak cabinets. I'm considering painting the cabinets, as now I have a few more weeks to work with in staging this house for sale. But I worry that if I paint them, they will look SO plain and unremarkable. I am currently choosing new hardware. There are 34 cabinets and 8 drawers, so this is no small task. Let me know your thoughts.
the essentials inside
Hi Janice. Have you talked to your real estate agent to see if it is worth it to go through the trouble of painting the cabinets? Maybe just painting the walls would make a difference?

~Lyvonne
November 20, 2013 at 7:29AM     
dclostboy
The green is certainly not helping...small area to do...what color was recommended on other discussion?
November 20, 2013 at 7:36AM   
debbieharber
As a real estate agent -I would say yes-paint them but it must be a great paint job with great handles. but I also would say make sure it is appropriate for your neighborhood. Not all things work in all neighborhoods! But do make sure your agent knows such things, if not ask a local decorator. Worth at $50-$100 conversation with an expert.
November 20, 2013 at 7:42AM   
I would paint, since you are selling. A more neutral color, dove gray, latte. Replace fan. Add pendants if you can. Or more track lights Ikea carries. Can you cover tile backsplash over stove. Looks dated. There is way to paint over it. Or redo backsplash in a glass tile. Or stainless subway? Update kitchen. This the room that will sell house. If kitchen isn't modern, then hard to sell? Bathrooms need updating to paint vanity, paint walls a gray, very big now, people like it. Easy to decorate around. Painting is the less expensive way to change a look, and get a Big Bang for your buck. Love black counters, play of that with gray wall like London fog by Benjamin Moore. Change backsplash to stainless. Brunch nickel pulls low on side and end, on cabinets and drawers, will update look. Lowes has nice ones get 4-5" long. On cabs run vertically on drawers horizontally. Love bar stools, they could stay with house. Not liking the dark grout on floors very 1980s. It just comes down too how much you want to spend.
November 20, 2013 at 7:44AM     
Janice Pollard
Thank you all! They are not using a real estate agent over the winter; going to sell by owner until spring. But the feedback they got when they DID list with an agent earlier this year is that the house was "not our style" - a kind way of saying it's dated.

Color recommended was Sherwin Williams Bagel, and I found a nice gray/beige called Accessible Beige...so that's what I'm thinking for the walls.

For the cabinets, I am considering slightly glazing them with a gray finish to tone them down.
November 20, 2013 at 7:45AM   
Add a stainless micro wave to that opening. Not expensive. People want one. When buying pulls just plain. Yours to ornate. The tile has to go for sure. Remove phone from wall. No one has one anymore. Makes home seem dated, you don't want that. On end of counter by wall put a large bowl fill with green apples. On shelves on end place small colorful bowls.
November 20, 2013 at 7:49AM   
I would use gray over beige, very boring. Use a more updated color. A silver glade on cabinet might be all it needs. Right now there are younger buyers looking. So have to appears to that group. Paint under bar same as walls. Can they change flooring? I would to a 14-16" dark gray slate, it's a small area won't cost much.
November 20, 2013 at 7:56AM   
Janice Pollard
Thanks, TravisInteriors! Yes, I have big plans for this space. Glad to hear you agree!
November 20, 2013 at 7:57AM     
apple_pie_order
You can try the gray glaze on the back of a drawer front. Just unscrew the drawer front and test on the back where no one will ever see it. But a fresh coat of paint everywhere is one of the things buyers will really appreciate in most markets.

I'd try a light grout paint rather than redo the floors completely. Tile or stone preferences are strongly local. YMWV.
November 20, 2013 at 9:34AM   
Laura
I wonder how difficult it would be to use furring strips or other flat wood strips to add trim to the fronts of the cabinets, to make them look like shaker doors. With the rounded corners I'm not sure it would work, but it would certainly be a great update if you could figure it out.
November 20, 2013 at 9:45AM   
Laura
And the backsplash needs to go. I could overlook the dark grout in the floor, but the flowers just look dated.
November 20, 2013 at 9:47AM     
hal2185
I too have pickled oak woodwork and cabinets. Some people love that look so don't paint the wood. I just painted the walls with Benjamin Moore Stone House. This is a soft, warm, neutral gold. I also used Ladyfinger (think cookies) in areas that needed a lighter tone and Navajo White on the ceilings. Everything looks beyond great together.

Avoid a beige that ancentuates the pink in the wood, if you go with beige. I tried the gray route as well but after holding the paint swatch up to the wood, I couldn't see it work without the pink showing up again. Benjamin Moore is expensive but stores will sell larger samples, 12 x 12 ish. Then buy a pint and test in various locations. Daylight versus lamp light makes a difference. Walls are easier to change for you and your buyer.

Deb
November 20, 2013 at 9:58AM   
momof5x
I say repaint the walls, change the cabinet handles, and brighter stool seats should do the job. Place a big vase of flowers on the counter and that should do it hopefully.
November 20, 2013 at 10:03AM     
Lisa Pugmire - Lowe's In Elk Grove
First choice is always going to be new everything but budget sometimes gets in the way...darnit! So I suggest Cabinet Transformations which works very well and isn't so much out of pocket.....If you want stain instead of paint use Howards Restore-A Finish. You could use a Tile Transformations on the Tile instead of changing it out. If the Tile Grout is stained for the floor there are many companies that come out and clean your grout and/or recolor it.
November 20, 2013 at 10:28AM   
Lisa Pugmire - Lowe's In Elk Grove
rustoleumtransformations.com
November 20, 2013 at 10:30AM   
halfpint2
I'd paint the walls. not the cabinets!
November 20, 2013 at 10:31AM   
Lisa Pugmire - Lowe's In Elk Grove
I agree paint the walls first... and change handles on cabinets. I would also do the Backsplash. You will be surprised how much that will update it. Then if you still don't like the cabinets and think they are still too pink. then attack Cabinets.
November 20, 2013 at 10:33AM   
kshires2
No, don't do it! It is a miserable experience. If you do, have it professionally done. It would look good if professionally done.
November 20, 2013 at 10:35AM   
Lisa Pugmire - Lowe's In Elk Grove
kshires2... bad experience?
November 20, 2013 at 10:36AM   
Lisa Pugmire - Lowe's In Elk Grove
My 2 cents.. When I am deciding whether to DIY or Hire Out... I always do a comparison! Quality of Work (Do I have the skills to do a quality job? You don't want the end result to look like a DIY!), Timeline of Completion (Is it going to take me another month of carrying expense of home before I can get this done?), Basically Cost vs. Value.
November 20, 2013 at 11:08AM   
need color help with 1/2 bath remodel
1/2 bath remodeled with dark brown cabinet, black granite...
How do I paint the stair area if I paint all my trim white?
I've got some photos attached for ideas. Paint the...
Ugly black stone fireplace!
We just purchased a brand new house and my husband...
Need advise on living room update
Hi The pic shows how the living room looks now. Thinking...
Njp
Help me decorate my dining room. I'm stuck!
I'm trying to finish up my dining room & I can't decide...