Coastal casual dining room needs more oomph!
wishingwell120
Here is my dining room. It is kinda one dimensional and I need some help with color, pattern, texture to make it more interesting. I live near the beach and I am shooting for a coastal/casual look. The chairs are parsons chairs from Restoration Hardware and they stay. A new table isn't in the budget right now. This one is a family piece painted white. It has 2 leaves that I add when needed. The painted dresser makes me smile and I love my blue flea market wall things. The window panels can go, the rug can go, anything can be moved or rearranged. What to do?
Thanks, Houzzers!
wishingwell120
here is another pic
November 20, 2013 at 12:28PM     
Pure Home
What a lovely dining room you have! Here at Purehome.com, we have a "Shop By Vibe" option on our site that allows you to shop only according to your personal style. We have some coastal style vibes that would work perfectly within your space!

Here is the link for vibes: www.purehome.com/vibes

Feel free to ask any questions, we can gladly help!

Yours in Houzzing,

Andie P., ASID
Interior Designer
Purehome.com
November 20, 2013 at 12:31PM   
It is a lovely room! I think what is missing is some pattern. Maybe a new rug? Or just add a table runner to the space. I saw these napkins and thought I'd throw this into the mix too. :) for some ideas. Or...you could make some slipcovers for the chair backs with a fabric you love. You can test out the thought by just slipcovering the chair backs with a fun pattern king size sheets to see if you like a lot of pattern for the chairs.
Happy Crab Eco Napkins, Sapphire Blue/Cream, Set of 4
Blue Fish Eco Table Runner, Capri/Sapphire Blue
Blue and White Table Runner
Bold Ikat Print Table Runner, Blue
November 20, 2013 at 12:43PM     
WadeCo Design
Hi there, I suggest that you paint the walls a blue green color. What I always like to do is go to a local paint supply store pick out a bunch of color swatches and then tape it to my walls, to see what pops and what doesn't.
wadecodesign.com
November 20, 2013 at 12:46PM   
November 20, 2013 at 12:47PM     
wishingwell120
Thanks, Darzy! I agree that it needs pattern. I am looking for a rug. Do you think maybe a mirror above the blue sideboard or the antique botanicals that are leaning now?
November 20, 2013 at 12:48PM   
I like your antique botanical there! Accessories on the sideboard will finish it off. The sideboard makes me smile too. :)
November 20, 2013 at 12:53PM   
Alexander Scott
A very cozy coastal home! A nice contrast to your green and blue accents would be orange or coral with a gray wall color, similar to the color scheme in the multicolored zigzag rug suggested by Darzy. This interest in color lends itself to the casual eclectic waterfront and will also liven and energize any dinner party.
November 20, 2013 at 12:57PM     
lessismoore
Just a suggestion, I think the room would look more coastal/beachy with a more "sand" colored paint above wainscoting. A shade keyed into the armed chair in the corner would be perfect. You are soooo close! Pictures in monitors are so deceptive, but in mine it looks like the current paint is a little more yellowy and maybe with slight green undertone? If I'm seeing things, please forgive me. But a color that "matches" that chair and is a tint off from your basket centerpiece, would be sublime. I'd like a mirror over the side board and I'd group your botanticals on the wall over the arm chair where there is currently nothing.
November 20, 2013 at 1:29PM     
Interiors Unleashed
Doing a room can be thought of in three phases. You have everything you need for the space to function as a dining room and a few extras. You've done Phase I. Adding things, such as those suggested above will help you move to Phase II. Some people like over the top Phase III with lots of additional detail (detail such as trim on chair cushions, ceiling medallions, layers of curtains... Some people like to live with just Phase I, some stop at Phase II.

Charlotte Moss put out a great book called, 'Creating A Room' where she has several illustrations of these phases. Her book shows where and how to add to a room without getting caught up in specific rugs or items....
November 20, 2013 at 1:39PM     
halfpint2
I love your dresser, it looks lovely in this room. I would suggest spraying the gold frames white, and hanging the picture over the dresser. I agree with Darzy, a table runner in a beach themed pattern is needed to break up the white chairs and table. The basket on your table is lovely, why not put some spheres or shells in it. I would also recommend a colored pillow for your beautiful corner chair. This is a really nice space, well done!!
November 20, 2013 at 1:53PM     
qhayes11
1. Get black/white parson chairs at the table. 2. the chairs thats in the corner should be a solid back.
November 20, 2013 at 2:05PM     
wishingwell120
Darzy, I love the rug that you suggested. The blue "sideboard" is actually a changing table that I bought at Babies R Us 1998! It was a dark cherry stain and I painted it with Annie Sloane's Chalk Paint in Duck Egg and changed the knobs for glass ones I found at Home Goods. I am really happy with how it turned out..
Halfpint, yes, accessories are needed! I guess I have to go shopping!
Interiors Unleashed, that is exactly what I am looking for...another phase to make it more interesting.Any suggestions? I will look around for the Moss book.
Lessismore, the color is a little off in the pics, but I think you are correct. I believe the color I used is BM Powell Buff.
November 20, 2013 at 2:55PM     
I like this lumbar pillow for your corner chair. The pillow you have now is a bit too big and little contrast. I also like how the button is sort of a "shell" color.

November 20, 2013 at 3:03PM        Thanked by wishingwell120
abbyjean
I like that pillow for the chair. I just feel like the chair needs something WITH it in the corner to make it not seem so isolated and lonely. SMALL SMALL table beside it? For a cup of coffee and a recipe book?
November 20, 2013 at 5:22PM        Thanked by wishingwell120
blrussell
I would probably remove the chair in the corner and change the chandelier
November 20, 2013 at 5:48PM      Thanked by wishingwell120
MarleneM
A piece of driftwood you find on the beach and a glass container with some shells would look lovely on the dresser. Also a more casual chandelier and a table runner.
November 20, 2013 at 6:02PM        Thanked by wishingwell120
athomeeileen
Pretty room! I don't think it needs anything changed, but if you're looking for a bit more oomph I would consider patterned curtain panels and a large piece of art over the dresser. I love the pedestal basket on the table.
November 20, 2013 at 6:18PM      Thanked by wishingwell120
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I agree about changing the chandelier. The one you have is too small and doesn't flow with the coastal design you want to achieve. A shell chandelier would be perfect but they're quite pricey. Or a natural wood one would also work (and is more affordable). :)
November 20, 2013 at 6:37PM     
This room is great! I love the colors and the simplicity. Hang the botanicals over the dresser, get Darzy's rug and her little blue lumbar pillow, and you're done.
November 20, 2013 at 6:42PM        Thanked by wishingwell120
Lydia (Kazza Design)
As for the rug, I don't suggest choosing one that has too much blue......just a touch of blue would be enough. A rug with a stone-washed finish would go well with the coastal design. Almost like it was left on the beach for years and now has a beautiful patina. Or choose a simple jute rug with a diamond pattern to bring in some texture.
November 20, 2013 at 6:43PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You could also bring in some texture (capiz, jute or driftwood) with a lamp for the dresser.
November 20, 2013 at 6:46PM     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I do like the colours you've chosen. I also like the botanicals exactly where they are. Just make sure to hang them closer together. I do find the wrought iron wall hangings are distracting where they're hung. You seem to have double doors? You could hang them horizontally (like it's one long piece) over the double doors so it would be like a cornice (architectural element). Just a thought! :)
November 20, 2013 at 6:49PM   
pcmom1
Good start! I would fill the bowl/basket in the center of the table with shells, star fish.

Take out that chair in the corner and add a plant. To the wall there hang your three pictures (the ones on the blue dresser) vertically.

Then over that cute blue dresser hang an art piece of children playing on the beach (search Art.com).

November 20, 2013 at 7:12PM     
wishingwell120
You all have such great ideas! I love the idea of putting my wall hangings together horizontally, Lydia. Also love the lamps in jute. The chandelier and rug needs to go! Abby Jean, the corner chairs are usually pulled to the table for family dinners, so I am not sure if a little table will work, but it is a good idea.
November 21, 2013 at 4:56AM     
wishingwell120
Here are the other two corners of the room. I know the little painting is hung too high. I just stuck it there temporarily. Any more good ideas would be appreciated!
November 21, 2013 at 4:58AM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You have such nice upcycled furniture! I like that little corner table. You could hang both the small painting and topiary art stacked on the same wall. By the way, the jute lamp is from World Market. I suggest extending the curtain rods and adding two more panels. This will add more volume to the oversized window (which is really nice).
November 21, 2013 at 12:05PM   
abbyjean
I had a feeling that was what you did with the chairs in the corners, but then also got to thinking that they might still be functional in the room without being pulled to the table. It is such a fun and happy room that I would easily enjoy my morning coffee and the paper in one of them.
November 21, 2013 at 3:17PM   
wishingwell120
Hi Houzzers,
I am hoping to get some opinions on fabrics for window treatments (simple panels) to help add color/texture/pattern to this dining room. Here are pics of three fabrics that I found, each with a different vibe. Opinions, please?
December 6, 2013 at 6:08AM   
soberg
The red.......no, please no.

The floral is very interesting and pretty; my only worry would be it's a bit too formal, and a bit too faded even for beach style.

The ikat (?) is bringing in a nice watery, sunny green and I like that. I'd try a swatch in the space and see if it blends well, intensity-wise.

All in all, I really like your darling room and its personal and easy to live with style. I'd just touch up a few details: color and texture onto table (seegrass mats or runner?), change frames from gold (either paint, or better yet make simple rustic wood frames with weathered wood strips), hang pictures, bring in seaglass and/or self-collected shells.

Speaking of shells, let's all take a vow to ask about source of seashells offered for sale and only buy those collected after the animal's natural death (which is basically none of those in trade in the US :-( ).
December 6, 2013 at 6:47AM     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Personally, I like the blue & green diamond fabric. It's bright and lively. It is a lot of color, though. I would stick with the colors you have now and work on bringing in some new textures and patterns. I think the colors you have look excellent - very beachy and casual, yet have the ability to look very sophisticated together. I think the room just needs more interesting texture to have a more finished & perfected look.

Curtain ideas: Greenwich Residence
MOROCCAN-INSPIRED CONDO (2013)
Shady Grove Family Room
I agree that the curtain rod should be moved up a few inches.

I love the jute lamps Lydia (Kazza Design) posted, and the bottom 2 rugs she suggested. I think both would really give the room a lot of texture and subtle sophistication. I think the antique botanicals are great, I'd just suggest new white frames that match the coastal vibe better. And I'd probably replace the basket on your table with a aqua glass vase with fresh flowers. The aqua vase will reinforce your beachy theme. Sea Glass Vase Set

Replace your throw pillows with some that have more flair and color, and you'll be set! https://www.etsy.com/listing/169267108/throw-pillow-covers-coastal-blue-anchors?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_query=coastal+throw+pillows&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=coastal+throw+pillows https://www.etsy.com/listing/128777462/100-natural-linen-pillow-throw-pillow?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=burlap+throw+pillows&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_color=0cccf3&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=burlap+throw+pillows
December 6, 2013 at 7:13AM   
lessismoore
I like the print (not the red, not the ikat). You don't really need too much more saturated color in there. You can "over do the blue" quite easily here. The little buffet is the key piece. and is doing it's job just fine. It only needs support, not competition.
December 6, 2013 at 9:50AM     
pcmom1
So, time now to decorate your dining room for Christmas! Fill up that large bowl on the table with some simple blue or white balls.

December 6, 2013 at 4:03PM     
lessismoore
oooo love that pix pcmom1 -
December 6, 2013 at 11:28PM   
I need helping making my dining room more casual
Several years ago I thought I had to have a formal...
My dining room some oomph! More drama
I love my dining room, but I want to punch it up a...
Blue dining room needs some oomph
What can I do in here to give this dining room some...
Need help making dining table more casual
I have a cherry Queen Ann dining table and chairs,...
Need a dining room casual table.
Could you tell me where you purchased your dining room...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Help! What color handrails, shutters, door and gutters??!!!
1979 duplex. Moved in recently. Really love the beach...
Should we knock down this wall to let more light into the bathroom?
We're starting a bathroom reno but are trying to figure...
Bathroom makeover on low budget
I would like to replace the toilet and sink and resurface...