Would appreciate advice on kitchen layout
trailgoddess
My Hubby & I are debating on a new layout for our kitchen re-do. It's old & funky now. The pix make it look better than it really is! One thing we both agree on is sliding the fridge (a new one) over next to the brick and recessing it into the wall a little (approx 4"). The fridge/desk are on the wall opposite the sink and there's a traffic path through the kitchen in front of them. Would like any input you may have. Thanks!
Design Consultancy & Construction Services Ltd
Can you post a plan view of the existing space with dimensions and we'll put it on our 3d package to see what can be done. Thanks Michael
0 Likes   Thanked by trailgoddess    November 20, 2013 at 2:23PM
trailgoddess
One thing we def want to do is get rid of the soffits.
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 4:34PM
MS Colours Inc
You need to find out what is in the soffit.
0 Likes   Thanked by trailgoddess    November 20, 2013 at 4:47PM
trailgoddess
There's some ductwork in the soffits that can be moved by accessing the attic and the vents can come out of the ceiling instead. Also, the house is on a raised foundation so there's good access for moving plumbing and/or electrical.
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 5:53AM
trailgoddess
Pardon my lame attempt at drawing the existing plan view
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 11:39AM
bubblyjock
I'm always suggesting this, but, download Ikea's free 2D/3D software design program. It's death-defyingly simple to work with - simply download, type in your dimensions, and get going with adding and moving cabinetry and so on. Even if you're not an Ikea fan, it offers more options than most, and most kitchen dimensions are pretty standard, so whatever you create is applicable to almost any brand. Here you go (I'm guessing you're in the US - each country has its own):
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/kitchen_howto/NA/plan_your_kitchen_in_3d.html
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 11:39AM
trailgoddess
Ha, I got the room dimensions from IKEA but couldn't figure out how to put the other stuff in there
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 11:41AM
Usually you just drag And drop....
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 11:57AM
I would nix the desk and instead of putting the frig right next to the brick, I suggest centering the frig on that wall and put pull out pantry on both sides. It would be more balanced. If you don't need a double oven, I'd remove the cabinets and bulkhead on the stove side and put a fab stove/oven and vent above. It would be a wonderfully open kitchen on both sides.

1 Like   Thanked by trailgoddess    November 21, 2013 at 11:59AM
trailgoddess
That is very cool! My husband wants to put a dbl oven to the left of the fridge, a 20" cab between, fridge to the right. I love the dbl oven bcuz you don't have to bend over to open it but then you'd be standing in the traffic path when using it. Also, I should have told you I have a fairly good sized pantry on the other side of the door out of the eat-in kitchen area but this would give me a lot of storage to make up for getting rid of the upper cabs on the sides. I agree with doing without the desk. Putting a fab range would probably work the best and I just have to bend over to use it. I don't use it a whole lot anyway.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 3:48PM
trailgoddess
I'm thinking the upper cabs in this pic could have glass doors w/ can lights in them, hmmm!
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 3:52PM
Would appreciate advice for kitchen island redo
The kitchen island needs to be redesigned to accommodate...
Terri Simon
I would very much appreciate input on the layout and design ideas for my great room.
I would very much appreciate input on the layout and...
delynn6d
I love your designs and classy style! Would appreciate island advice!
We just built a house but left out the island because...
legacy1987
Need help with paint colors any advice or ideas would be appreciated
Looking for pearlized white for bathroom, shower area...
dbsands
I want to duplicate hardwood floor, any advice or names/colors, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
I want to duplicate hardwood floor, any advice or names/colors,...
dpittard
Deborah Sullivan
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
ckoeppel
Need help decorating balconey facing south and west
I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and would love...
glond
Need help for my family room windows
I want to hang 3 narrow floor length panels in my family...
marilyn1984