Building your dream house? Check out this eye candy!
bungalowmo
Since I love looking at stuff like this, I thought I might share...just for a change of pace & check out some extraordinary construction skills! http://www.castlevictorian.com/#
Studio M Interior Design
Love Victorian homes. Our office is in a century-old Victorian home in Tampa :)
2 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 7:56AM
shakerjaebs
I love looking at old house plans, too. I found my neighbor's house in a Sears catalog! She was so excited.
2 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 8:10AM
Would cost an arm & leg to do this today!
3 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 8:11AM
diyher
easily 1mil to start depending on location I would bet, especially all those varied architectural roofs.
1 Like   December 13, 2013 at 8:13AM
indianpatti
wow ... gorgeous! Love the chimneys. Great price ... $695K on 60 acres?
1 Like   December 13, 2013 at 8:14AM
victorianbungalowranch
They put a lot of time and money into this house and I feel sorry that they have to sell.

The house itself is not exactly like the inspiration, especially in the porch and gable detail. They omitted the small pent roof over the front porch and the arched lattice work in the upper and side porches, and in the gables. As a result the porch supports look undersized and a bit flimsy for the heaviness of the rest of the building. Changing some of the porch trim would help improve this aspect.

I once found a picture-perfect Swiss chalet, just like the real thing, not a ski cabin, complete with stone floors in the "barn" portion and Agra stove, in the wilds of upper Michigan, which they had to sell at a loss at a bargain basement price. Georgeous house, horrible winters, new job, big loss.

Sometimes it is better to buy or build something less than your dream. I may drool over period houses, but I know I don't have the skill or money to keep up with a grand Victorian (even a new one!) so I have a pretty basic vernacular house with a few interesting details, I have lived in rentals most of my life, so perhaps my expectations are less--seems pretty grand compared to what I used to have, and I can paint the walls! and it is enough for me. I have a friend with a grand Victorian that stood vacant for many years, and she is facing many challenges. My hat off to those who can pursue a dream like that.
2 Likes   Thanked by bungalowmo    December 13, 2013 at 8:45AM
solincia
Just come to Ohio, you could buy an original Victorian for about $200k.
4 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 8:49AM
chookchook2
Here we would call that a Queen Anne.
2 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 8:50AM
chookchook2
Dytecture, don't pay an arm and a leg for that house, you won't be able to ascend the stairs.
3 Likes   Thanked by bungalowmo    December 13, 2013 at 8:52AM
solincia
This was a house I had my eye on when we were house hunting.. My husband is a bit more practical and wanted more than one bath and a garage. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1323-W-111th-St-Cleveland-OH-44102/33327095_zpid/
3 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 8:53AM
victorianbungalowranch
Wow, that one is a real classic. Love the front door, original siding it looks like and windows. Looks like that neighborhood holds its value pretty well compared to others in Cleveland.

BTW, Queen Anne is the name of the style of the house posted above, which were built during the late Victorian period. They were sort of the McMansions of their day, with very irregular plans, complicated rooflines, multiple types of siding and window forms.
2 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 10:35AM
solincia
It's a gorgeous Queen Anne, isn't it? I'm pretty much a fan of all Victorians, imperial and Italianate alike. The strange thing about Cleveland is one street could have a house selling for $50k, and on the next $180, it really all depends on the house!
3 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 11:16AM
aehrenhaus
I wouldn't use old floor plans if building a new home. I love our old home, it's beautiful, but the layout isn't practical for a modern family.
1 Like   December 13, 2013 at 11:24AM
victorianbungalowranch
Actually many high style Queen Annes had large rooms and large kitchens ( for servants, or to accommodate the butchering and other chores needed to be done at the time), some even had pretty decent sized closets, but of course bathrooms and such tended to be very small and in the back, if they had them. The family above did modify the plan somewhat, but kept the overall organization.

Queen Annes did have rather a large amount of hallway, and big impressive entries, and the kitchen isn't open to the rest of the house, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Can be nice to have definition of spaces and function and not everything on display at all times. City homes may have been constricted by the size of the lot.

Around the turn of the century, the kitchens shrank considerably as people employed fewer servants and more families did their own cooking. In bungalows, period revivals of the 1920s and most houses until the mid-60s or so, kitchen were small and utilitarian and blocked off from the rest of the house, even more so than the Victorian era homes. Even so, they managed to do a lot more home cooking than many of us do today!
1 Like   December 13, 2013 at 12:54PM
bungalowmo
A guy I know from http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/ bought this place. It was in need of some restoration, but the bones were solid! He had every inch of woodwork restored. The home was built by a lumber barron, so you can imagine the detail!

For even more photos, click his signature block. http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19486
   December 16, 2013 at 10:49AM
chookchook2
I'm glad the guy's bones were solid. Very important when doing heavy renovating.
1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 12:02PM
bungalowmo
Unlike mine...which ache like crazy after shoveling a ton of icy snow off the sidewalk...that had already been snow-blowed, but then covered by the plow guys...that don't do this on purpose, so says the city.

BULL.
   December 16, 2013 at 12:15PM
need help with my studio space.
My studio space is 750 sq ft,, high ceilings. The kitchen...
Only two walls in Living room
My living room has only two walls , one of which is...
Our new firepit
Looking for a ring for my firepit, it needs to be at...
My living room
We recently painted our living room gray to match the...
Hardwood floor color
We just bought a condo in an urban area, and plan to...