what do you think of this combo for the kitchen?
Elizabeth Reilly
Will the granite be too busy? have a 6 foot island to put granite on as well as the kitchen counters. Any other granite recommendations? I'd like a warm feeling in the kitchen. Cabinets will go to ceiling, all cabinets including island cabinet is off white.
dclostboy
It will be striking...gray subway tile for back splash?
9 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 3:25PM
happyasaclam
Your cabinets will be a strong presence in the room so I don't think that granite pattern is too busy. I think it will all look great together.
5 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 3:28PM
I like the granite and the floor choices, but not with the cabinets. The cabs are way too busy and too white and shiny. How about a recessed panel instead?

29 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 5:34PM
Elizabeth Reilly
I've already purchased the cabinets. I haven't thought of them as busy, but you may be right there. Maybe a less busy granite then? How about Absolute Cream instead? or the second one, Gallileo Napoleon
3 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 5:58PM
armipeg
The cabinet and granite look good together but the floor looks out of place. I suggest a different floor.
5 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 6:03PM
Judy M
I would go with the second granite in last post, smaller tighter pattern that the first granite shown with cabinet.
9 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 6:07PM
BY DESIGN Builders
Really like your original granite selection. It is much more interesting than the second two.
Your cabinet doors are "busy" because they are more traditional. Nothing wrong with that.
Subway tile is also traditional (and it can be contemporary). Look at the pillowed subway tiles as a possibility for your backsplash.
Have you selected door and drawer pulls yet? Be certain to not compromise your more traditional cabinetry with the wrong hardware.
Overall, it looks good! Congrats!
62 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 6:08PM
Kevin Strader
I like it. Your first granite is by far my favorite. I like the cabinets too. I tend to lean more towards the traditional end of the design spectrum. I would look at black or ORB for the knobs. It looks like there is some dark brown in the granite so I would opt for the ORB.
30 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 6:20PM
touchadream
I like the first granite too. The bigger pattern variation is more interesting than the smaller speckled look, IMO. I wouldn't second guess yourself--this is going to be lovely. Make sure you use a simple neutral backsplash.
28 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 6:32PM
cindyguent
Definitely go with your first choices. You will get the warm feeling you want with that combo. I love it!
26 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 6:46PM
saratogaswizzlestick
Your first granite is lovely and it actually looks less busy than the other two. I also like your cabinets. As others are saying pick a nice neutral backsplash and you are cooking with gas
14 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:02PM
kcshenk
Like your first granite choice. My Sister in law has something similar and it is lovely
9 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:16PM
happyasaclam
My great aunt use to say "now you're cooking with gas!". :D. I think all three work great together. Don't let anyone talk you out of the flooring, the cabinets or the granite. If you can't bring samples of the backsplash tile home, take a piece of the granite with you if you can, to make your selection easier.
15 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:18PM
mkhodges
Add my vote of approval for your original choices. I have similar cabs and floor, but my granite is black. Many times I have wished I had something similar to your granite choice, but I like both. I don't have backsplash yet but plan to get subway tile in white very close to cab white (mine have a wash technique which tones the white down a bit). I might tint the grout slightly to make the colors blend better, but do not want high contrast because that would add to the business of the backsplash. Do you have your wall paint in mind? Of course you might not have much wall space in kitchen but if it is open you might want to consider that too.
6 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:52PM
Stick with your original post photo choices;)
20 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:58PM
mommickey
I like yout first choice. I have quartz with a busy design and I wish I had went with plain now. Less is more.
6 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:58PM
abbyjean
First choice is a winner!
12 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 7:58PM
sbrustein
Love it!! What backslash were you thinking of?
0 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 8:03PM
solincia
Don't change a thing!!!
4 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:00PM
m3459
Like the choices you have made. Then the backsplash will tie it all up with a bow. Go neutral on backsplash. I have been so-o-o-o glad I went classic and neutral on backsplash as I have upgraded countertops over the years.
1 Like   November 20, 2013 at 9:10PM
Lisa Pugmire - Lowe's In Elk Grove
I also like the original choices... Keep in mind you picked them for a reason. What cabinet line is it?
2 Likes   November 20, 2013 at 9:10PM
thedarlingsbecca
I like the first choices. The color of the flooring is also in the granite. Very nice!
3 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 1:18AM
cmarquardt1
I like the first choice too....also remember that the way you have it displayed in the picture is not how your eye will see it when it is installed as the granite will be a horizontal surface...neutral backsplash and you are ready..please update with a photo when it is done!
4 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 4:44AM
tonicherry
It will look fantastic. Don't second guess your decisions. Your original granite is the best choice. You're going to love it !
6 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 5:05AM
Nest.
One really never sees granite from that vantage point...when it is actually installed you will be seeing it from a horizontal plane and it will marry into the cabinets and backsplash very nicely!!! Don't change a thing and I say if you love it have confidence in your choices!!!! It will look beautiful
6 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 6:31AM
yoboseiyo
i like your first one.
it's beautiful with your cabinets.
4 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 6:55AM
Elizabeth Reilly
Wow, everyone pretty much likes the first granite. It is the one with the most contrast and will be the most busy one of the three. There is grey quartz mixed in as well. I had also originally thought that it would be too light with all the white cabinets going in. Maybe I should rethink. I have a big island going in as well. Should I go with a different on island than on counters?
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 8:20AM
GARY FINLEY, ASID
greaet choice dont over think it .......you made the right call, it will be interesting and with all the white you likely need a PUNCH
2 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 9:59AM
smartin1
Love it! It will be beautiful! And I agree that I would stay simple on the backsplash to let the granite shine.
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 10:08AM
I have same granite. It's great. Won't look busy.
2 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 11:42AM
nohoch
My personal choice would be a darker shade of a floor....

Traditional Kitchen by Arnold Architects & Designers Cunningham Welsh Architects LLC
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 12:04PM
micheal lambie interiors
I like the first Granite out of the 2 and think it will work nicely with the cabinet for sure. Not too busy at all. Back splash I would also keep light and clean…. does not have to be a pure white subway tile but that is a safe bet for sure.
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 12:30PM
indianpatti
Love your 1st choice granite!
3 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 12:33PM
gypsyrose17
In your photo, if you could cut that slab of granite in half and just use the right hand side it would be perfect....a calmer more fluid pattern in the granite...it would also broaden your choices for colors and patterns for backsplash, etc.
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 1:25PM
Elizabeth Reilly
two more choices to consider! what do you think now? First is Typhoon Bordeaux, and the second one is Harvest Cream
3 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 1:29PM
yoboseiyo
i still like your very first one.

you have to remember, you're not going to be looking at it the same way you're viewing it now.

you'll be looking at it at about a 45deg angle. smaller, if you're short and your counters are standard height. it won't seem so busy when it's in place, i promise.
4 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 1:40PM
m3459
It's a close call between your first choices and the Typhoon Bordeaux. Probably would come down to seeing the actual slabs.
5 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 1:58PM
nancyann0277a
Go with your fist grouping, look how many professionals liked your selection. It is beautiful.
2 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 2:01PM
laurie0714
Your first palette looks very nice. Adding the ORB hardware would be a nice compliment to the granite.
3 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 2:10PM
happyasaclam
I like your first pattern because it looks natural - not manufactured. That's the beauty of natural stone. All the variations in one slab make it more attractive than the others!
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 4:16PM
m3459
Something makes me think there is something about the first choice that reilly is not happy with. Until then, she has to listen to us ;->
3 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 4:26PM
Elizabeth Reilly
LOL m3459! You are right. I am worried about the amount of black in my original granite choice. It's hard for you all to really see the granite choices from the pics on here. I have motivation to make decisions quickly given the state of my kitchen now! we moved in this house almost two years ago and I've always dreaded the kitchen.
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 4:44PM
gypsyrose17
You can always use a different granite for your island....one that compliments your countertop granite. In your first slab, the right and left sides were very different in color saturations...I would pick something along one of those variations. A friend of mine is building a tuscan style home and she has chosen a whitish granite with black swirls for the counters, white porcelain farmhouse sink, white cabinets, concrete floors and to have her island painted red the lower level will have a butcher block top, and the top level which will be for the folks sitting on the stools will be the same granite as the counters.
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 5:03PM
jojosail2
You can get the pureed granite look (the second of the second choices) from every cheap granite countertop store at every little strip mall. Prefab, made in China, cheap and looks it. It's very ordinary. Why have a boring kitchen that looks like everyone else's? Your first choice is gorgeous, is much more of a unique, custom look. Stick with your original choice, it's much more interesting granite. The cabinets are NOT busy, they are elegant. The shaker style looks cheap. The flooring looks lovely with the granite also, the colors in the granite go with and compliment the floor.
9 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 6:52PM
dclostboy
The first has so much character and life...what scares you about the black?
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 6:54PM
Cat Rowe
I like your original selection!
3 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 6:58PM
happyasaclam
It's crunch time and you're getting cold feet! The original piece is the most natural looking of all of your choices. Stop and think about why you chose it in the first place. There is something about it that you love. Come on, admit it!
6 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 7:04PM
dcombe
the white or off white needs to be a cleaner line without crevices and island would look stunning if you did dark wood paneled island with butcher block chunky design modular if you can get it would look stunning with the stone you have chosen
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 7:05PM
dcombe
original granite is BEST and the floor is great and very in style - if you can't change cabinet doors/ (maybe you can keep color and change style) then it works- additional time with opposite complementary dark brown island to further highlight your stone but would use different counter top for island maybe cesarstone and wood combo
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 7:09PM
Renee
Stick with the original! It is beautiful on its own and especially with the cabinets and floor.
2 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 7:46PM
SOMIYA TILES & COUNTERTOPS
No, I think this granite is beautiful. It has those random big swirls and it will look very nice on the island. Just make sure your flooring does not have a busy multi color pattern.
2 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 8:39PM
Keyscook
I like your first choice. In my current kitchen, the parts of my granite that are small and crumbly looking are really boring to me now. The larger swaths of gorgeous stone are definitely more interesting and don't get "old" so quickly. Trust your first choices.
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 10:42PM
armipeg
First granite looks better.
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 11:22PM
Michael Lee, Inc
Very nice choices go for it!
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 11:30PM
Emily Tait Designs
I really like your original choice or the Typhoon Bordeaux. As long as your kitchen stays relatively clutter free, I don't think your first choice is too busy at all.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:11AM
roboup
I agree with most of the comments, the very first is best, by the way what is it called, u may consider a slightly darker floor, name of the first granite
2 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:43AM
huttonxs3
Gorgeouse not to busy at all..
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:48AM
Elizabeth Reilly
The name of the first granite is Crema Delicatus. It is the only one that I haven't seen (can't find) a slab to view. If you look that granite up on Houzz, you'll see what I mean about black blotches. This granite varies greatly from slab to slab it seems. That alone may make it null and void. The Typhoon Bordeaux slab is really beautiful. It doesn't have too much red, which is my preference. I'd like ti stay with the floor color. Any darker and the space feels less warm and casual, which is what I'm going for.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:54AM
lvstotrvl
Don't second guess yourself, go with your first choice it's great!
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:55AM
0825sam
If you can't see a slab of the first one then I would be hesitant to use it since you are seeing photos you don't like. This is the same reason I cancelled my counter order. I had also liked the original best but my second would be the typhoon Bordeaux. If you saw that in person and love it go for it.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 5:24AM
Beverly Wright-Juste
Don't change a thing. This combo is perfect. The granite fits with the solid colors, so it won't be too busy.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 6:20AM
Okanagan Dream Builders Ltd.
I really like your first choice in granite. The cabinets are great and would look great with the ORB or a Brushed Nickel Finish handles. I am not sure if its how light that flooring is it looks that way in the picture. I would tend to go with a the deeper hue for the flooring such as the one under the one we are looking at in a 5" wide plank. Hand Scraped is a nice option as well, you just have to be careful of which wood species you choose. Some can have a lot of grain to them. Choose wisely on the backsplash, I put in a plain subway tile and hated it had it ripped out right away. I tend to lean towards the lineal glass back splashes in a very soft color palette but not the glass that is all shiny. So far your doing great! Can't wait to see the finished kitchen.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 8:33AM
dclostboy
If you go with first, fabricator should be able to get pics of slabs before shipping or provide you firsthand viewing for counter layout. It's one of the percs you should get for going with premium.
3 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 8:44AM
catfergi
I love your first combination... if you are concerned about the amount of granite over taking everything opt for a ceaser stone or quartz that comes in a nice neutral colour that will compliment the look. Use the granite on the either the wrap around counter top or on the island, but not both, then use the quartz on the other surface. I suggest SH145 St.Helens White from Radianz. Then use a warm color on the splash. Something in a warm grey/tawnie color.
2 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 9:27AM
Very nice.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 9:54AM
cmarquardt1
Also, it may be helpful to view it with a neutral backdrop as opposed to leaning it against another wood that won't be in the kitchen...maybe take another photo of it with the granite piece horizontal and from another angle...it does seem that a lot of people that responded really like this look!!
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 9:57AM
Elizabeth Reilly
Okanagan, tell me more about the glass backsplash you like. It sounds lovely, but can't picture it very well. I was thinking the pillow subway tile, but maybe not?
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 12:44PM
Okanagan Dream Builders Ltd.
I am working on a project as we speak, I will upload the back splash and hopefully it will give you some ideas. I will post it shortly.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 12:50PM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Assuming a complementary architectural aspect, I like your choices. The width of the floor boards and traditional panels present a sense of history with the stone providing an updated visual element that is just right--with the simpler floor and monochromatic colour scheme, a "safer" choice could easily lack visual impact and bore you in short order. Well done, IMO.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 12:56PM
Okanagan Dream Builders Ltd.
The one that seems to go with everything. The one closest to the carpet.
2 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 12:59PM
catfergi
What about these?
4 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 1:15PM
catfergi
2nd from the bottom with your combination would be a nice tie in!
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 1:15PM
dclostboy
Because of the life of the granite, I'd really recommend a solid back splash. Something like this, maybe.
15 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 1:18PM
mennenc
What about a marble top?
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 1:28PM
Elizabeth Reilly
I like marble but it isn't as easily maintained as granite, especially if it is a lighter color. I like my red wine, but marble does not LOL. Yes, agree the backsplash has to be very simple. It looks like the original choice of granite isn't available anywhere where I can go see it, so I'm thinking the Typhoon Bordeaux now. The picture here doesn't do it justice. I ordered the floor today and it will be delivered Monday - Yeah! it will be 4" thick boards. The picture of the floor here looks brighter than it actually is for those of you who were wishing for a darker wood.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 3:18PM
Elizabeth Reilly
here are other pics of the typhoon bourdeaux. the attached pics on these houzz threads don't look that great for some reason. blurry.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 3:21PM
Francis G
It's hard to offer an opinion without fully understanding your tastes or the overall décor/design of the adjacent rooms or what look/feeling you are going for. If you are going or a more formal, classy feel and a traditional look, your selection is probably fine. If you hadn't already ordered the cabinets, would have asked if you wanted the counter to be the focal point and stand out - if so, a simpler door design would have made the stone pop more.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 3:30PM
missadrian
The granite and floor complement each other but the cabinets should be a softer white
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 4:08PM
Elizabeth Reilly
Francis, good point. I'm definitely a traditional girl. Most of my other rooms have neutral tones (beige, rustic orange, yellow, brown). I love warm colors and comfortable (yet classy) rooms. I have little to no clutter (except for all the crap I hide inside of drawers LOL). I'm not sure that I'm looking for anything to really pop in the new kitchen. I want it to be warm and welcoming, but classy traditional as well. I'll have a wolf range top, and double wall ovens (micro-oven combo unit) and fridge all in stainless steel with ORB hardware on the bone cabinets.
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:13PM
Elizabeth Reilly
Here's a good pic of what my granite slab of typhoon bordeaux looks like.
3 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:20PM
lvstotrvl
It's very pretty, always good to have a back-up plan. I think your cabinets will look great!
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 4:24PM
Precision Granite & Marble
As somebody that works with customers everyday with the same dilemma your in,I agree with most of the above comments. Stick to your original choice and do not overstress it to much. Having said that, doing this is an investment and and you need to walk in to your kitchen and go "oh my God i love it!" dont just settle for the less expensive option. Think of the bigger picture, close your eyes, see your cabinets-light and lots of it, paint color, lighter shade? Granite offers the intrest factor and the backsplash will offer a subtle complement to pull off the rest. Try keep the backsplash very toned down and if you need to put in accent pieces that complements granite keep it minimal. Endless possabilities out there in terms of backsplash materials. A mother of pearl backsplash could pull out mother of pearl out in the granite and make it very tastefull, light and not too busy. Good luck with the decision making. Keep the edge detail toned down on the granite. Eased edge or a 1/4 round (more forgiving in terms of chipping) and make sure to ask your fabricator to put a 1/4 bevel on the inside of your sink cutout. You should be happy for years!
6 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 4:46PM
cindyguent
The absolute cream granite is beautiful also and appears to have more white in it if you are looking to coordinate with your cabinetry. I love the black in it also. Will you be using black for accents?
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 5:04PM
Elizabeth Reilly
cindyguent, no one has brought up the absolute cream choice yet. that happens to be my husband's favorite. but he loves the typhoon as well. Probably not black accents. I haven't thought about accents yet. There will be a lot of stainless steel though (on major appliances and counter appliances. Precision Granite, thank you for your insight. curious about the 1/4 inch bevel on the sink cut-out. What is that for?
0 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 5:21PM
Precision Granite & Marble
1/4 inch bevel on inside of the sink is more forgiving in terms of washing dishes over time banging pots and pans that will chip the inside edge of granite on sink area. That is provided you are going with an updated undermount sink look. We do it as a standard on all undermount sink cutouts.
3 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 5:29PM
Judiwithani
Pretty choices. Like all granite choices and think absolute cream will look good if using granite on counters and island. Also matches flooring better. Would try more off white color for cabinets, ones shown look too bright.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 5:32PM
johsmi
I am going through the same researching for our kitchen remodel and I love all three of your choices. My only different choice is the Shaker cabinets style but I do like yours too and you haven given me pause.I think you will love the hardwood floors as well. I have not moved as far along as you in considering back splashes but I think I lean toward a subway tile. Something kind of plain. Let the granite shine for you. Good luck and enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 5:51PM
Elizabeth Reilly
Can't change the cabinets or the floors- they are already purchased. I know some think that the cabinets are too white. I don't get as much natural light in the kitchen as I would like, and I am definitely one to use dimmers on the lights at night, so I think they'll be okay. They are definitely not white, they are kind of like a bone color. I admit they do look brighter in the photo. We'll see what they look like when they come out of their boxes that are piled high in my dining room!
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 6:04PM
Cheryl Makaro
I like the granite and door style. I too am not a fan of the floor choice. Too orange toned.
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 6:13PM
johsmi
Like you we have a dark kitchen with little natural light. That's why I like white cabinets. Love all your choices.
2 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 6:16PM
sbrustein
Embrace the amiability in your granite. That's what makes it a natural stone rather than Caesarstone or silestone. My granite I really variable. Some parts I like more than others- so when you pick your slabs, see if you can allocate certain parts for where on the countertop you want them to be. This is my variability-
2 Likes   November 22, 2013 at 6:35PM
sbrustein
Ok- that's variabilty- autocorrect is making me crazy!
1 Like   November 22, 2013 at 6:36PM
Mean Design
A fine choice.
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 7:09AM
Creative Cabinets and Faux Finishes. LLC
Looks perfect to me ! No e job -
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 7:57AM
catieb
You keep showing photos of granite choices, but I take it these are not of the actual slabs from the stoneyard? I agree the very first selection was most pleasing with cabs and floor....but at this point in time you need to be making selections from actual slabs.

If you were my client we would go to the stoneyard and make a selection for the island first. And i would strongly encourage you to go with a piece that has beautiful pattern in it that you just LOVE! With the size of your island, it is vital that you love the piece........all other considerations are window dressing. After that is selected if you feel you have enough drama and beauty in the kitchen THEN it's the right time to make a different choice for the straight runs of counter top. Either same granite with less movement or a manufactured product that reads as a color.

In short, I'm saying that you're looking at natural product and cannot make a selection from photos. Take all your cab/flr samples to the stoneyard - the decision will become very obvious.
10 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 8:19AM
Elizabeth Reilly
Hi Catieb,

these are all pics that I took of the actual slabs. I agree that I need to love the island, and it is such a huge presence in the kitchen, so I'm being careful. After all of the granite that I have seen, I know some things. I don't like red or too much movement. I also want to go lighter on the color, and am not looking for a ton of contrast. I'm going for a light and airy feeling in the kitchen. I definitely don't want a consistent boring pattern like venetian gold, but I'm also weary of the Jackson Pollack type of some of the Delicatus. I'm going to do one more run out to some new distributors and look at the following slabs of granite. If anyone has worked with these, can you give me your thoughts? I found pics of these on Houzz and liked them.

Solarius
White Persia
Arandis
Dahlia White
Latinum
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 9:07AM
Tile Circle
Beautiful!!! Be sure to keep your backsplash very simple since there is a lot of movement in the granite. Stick to one color.
www.tilecircle.com
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 10:25AM
wilsonpark2
It is so easy to second guess yourself and that is not usually a good thing to do, so your first choice may be the best. My only concern would be choosing a granite by type and not choosing your exact slab. We have chosen probably 4 different granites over the years for different rooms/houses and have alway chosen THE slab we would be using. A little scary not to see your own slab first since there can be so much natural variation in granite. Any way you can go to a stone yard?
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 4:43PM
dschafer1954
I have the same granite with similar cabinets & flooring. It will look beautiful together.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 4:12AM
Lesley Delle_Grazie
As others have said, it's really important to pick out your actual slabs. I have similar flooring and cabinets, although my island will be charcoal, and I looked at the Delicatus as my first choice. However, I was unable to find any slabs that didn't have huge patches of rust in them, which I didn't like. I am going with Dove White granite, and went to the supplier to pick out my slabs, so I know what I'm getting.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 4:46AM
beachmeadows
Your first choices are perfect!! The island is where you can shine and hit it with your favourite stuff. Make sure you have lots of big drawers in it..a real bonus! I love your choices..going to be fresh and always current!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 4:51AM
Elizabeth Reilly
I'm having the same problem Lesley Dell-Grazie. I can't find a delicatus slab that is similar to the sample I posted a pic of with the cabinet and floor. The ones I see are too blotchy as well. I,ve been to 3 stone yards and am going to 3 more next week.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 5:11AM
Colour Theory
I think your granite is terrific! Your flooring is fine with it but I feel the cabinet door is too ornate and too bright a white. I agree with 'iamjudy's comment early on...simple shaker profile & darker cream colour. ( the brighter white makes your granite look dirty)
2 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 5:12AM
beachmeadows
I dont agree that it will make the granite look dirty. She can't change the cabinets she has them in her home. I believe there are no rules when you love something. When you walk into someones home that they put what they love into it, it shows. Lots of times, I've seen decorating and its so matchy and boring..you see the home in a swipe of the eye. When someone decorates their home with what they love and love the home, way more interesting.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 5:26AM
ghel
I love your original choices in the granite, cabinets and flooring.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 5:32AM
Kate
I like all your choices. I think you can use the granite you selected everywhere, however to make it feel a little warmer I suggest using a different surface on the island. Perhaps a honed black granite.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 5:33AM
barknwoof
Whatever granite you pick, make sure that you pick out the actual slabs and work with them in placing the templates. This will allow you to emphasize the parts of the granite that you like the most. It makes a huge difference.
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 5:40AM
Lesley Delle_Grazie
I have a feeling, Elizabeth, that your cabinet doors are the same colour as mine; mine are called "Shell" from Kitchencraft. Many other companies use the same "antique white" but call it something different. They always look much whiter in photos than they really are and I think you will love them.

There are other granites with the same colours as the Delicatus; try White Dove, Alpinus, Alaska White, and Splendour White. While I like the Bordeaux, I found that there was too much red and peach in the slabs I saw. Keep in mind that many of the suppliers have different names for the same thing, so when they're leading you around to show you what you think you want, ask if you can browse the aisles. Also ask if they have any other slabs outside if you can't find what you want inside. Sometimes they have slabs that are cut from further along in the quarry that don't have the rusty patches. Small patches of rust could be avoided or placed in a discreet area when the counter-tops are fabricated, so make sure you're around when they do the actual layout on your slabs.
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 5:50AM
lafleda
Hi there. I certainly understand your concerns because i had the same concerns when we built our house 1 year ago. But it turned out very beautifully. So use what you fell in love with in the first place and enjoy.
11 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 5:56AM
texas_girl
I love your first choices. For a small bathroom, I chose River White. It is light and very neutral with a flowing pattern. I don't know if that would work for you. I was surprised to find that granite in several of the Parade of Homes houses. I love all the browns and beiges, but I prefer greys and cooler colors for my spaces. I think you will make the right decision by going with what you love! Great job!
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 5:57AM
vkilpatrick
The cabs are not "busy" but rather ornate IMO. I agree that a very simple, single colour tile (subway or other) would be lovely.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 6:05AM
Sherri Jordan
I like the second granite with your cabinet and flooring choices. The second granite not only picks up the cabinet color, it also picks up more of the flooring color to give you a warm blending effect as your eye is drawn up from the floor to the cabinets.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 6:56AM
williemokes
Elizabeth, I love your choices but would not put the granite on the countertops and the island. I would use the granite on the island, it is lovely. I would then look for something with very little pattern for the countertops. I love the cabinets and the flooring.
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 7:02AM
Elizabeth Reilly
Sherri, do you mean the Absolute cream?
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:10AM
Candace Bordelon
When designing kitchens, I always ask my clients: What do you want to be the star of your kitchen? When people walk in, what do you want them to see? The granite is beautiful but the cabinet door style is VERY elaborate and I think the two fight each other. If the cabinets are already in production and you can't change to a simpler style, then I would go with a more subtle granite. Also, you don't have a back splash example here for us to see, so that could make a big difference as well. All too often I see busy granite with busy back splash tile and they fight each other. It's like a woman wearing too many accessories, or too much makeup.
5 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:28AM
sarawaide
Lafleda, I love the color of your floor. Would you share material and color.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:30AM
datdamwuf
Everyone told me to pick the granite then the back splash tile. Now that I've done it I really wish I had gone the other way round. If I had a do over I'd pick my tile and take it and the cabinet door to the stone showroom to pick my granite. Just my personal preference after going through this.
3 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:42AM
wegiemom
I love your original choices -- I would put it in my kitchen. Simple backsplash. You're done.
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 7:43AM
cp20854
I just redid my kitchen after a fire and had two weeks to pick everything. White shaker cabinets, white ice granite... Which is gorgeous.. Espresso wood floors in entire house. I love that the granite is unique. Still have to pick backsplash thinking white subway tiles with small trim.
3 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:51AM
cp20854
Espresso floors
5 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:53AM
Iliana Agelakos
I would not use two different granites. If you want a different countertop on the island, butcherblock or a different material, is ok. But if they are both granite, it s like if you added the island afterwards and tried to march the countertop with a previously existing one. Different cabinets on the island is ok if you like. Also, your cabinets are really gorgeous and unique and your floor choice is perfect. Go for the slab that you like, you will be living in it. Trust yourself, thus far the choices you have commited to are excellent.
4 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:57AM
Iliana Agelakos
I would also pick the backsplash and the granite at the same time. Much easier to match then if you already chose one or the other. I suggest bringing a couple of backsplash choices with you on granite search. You won t regret it.
2 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:00AM
Elizabeth Reilly
I will use the same granite on both the counters and island. I won't have a ton of counter space as one of the walls will be all cabinets, wall ovens, and a floor to ceiling pantry. I will definitely use a simple backsplash, with the possibility of a simple design under the hood vent. Since I can't find a delicatus slab that isn't so busy, I'll go on another slab hunt tomorrow. Typhoon is probably out as I don't really want the red in the granite. I did order the floors and they arrive tomorrow and will be installed next Monday! The cabinets have arrived and are in boxes in the living room!
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 8:15AM
rosebud3
Just my opinion and what I would do. If I couldn't pick the slab for the crema....I'd go with the typhoon. It does seem to pick up the floor coloring. Like you, I like a warm feeling kitchen. I do think butcher block would be an option for the island.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:18AM
dclostboy
I have a feeling it's a good thing that progress is starting to force a decision. You've done your erase arch and it will turn out beautiful.
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 8:18AM
panamstew
I have giallo napoleon in my kitchen and it is beautiful! I would go for that granite over the others and it would look great with your cabinets!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:20AM
lafleda
My floor colour is Coffee, the cabinets are off white - benjamin Moore White Dove, and the granite countertop is a mix of off white, dove grey, black and brown. When you look at a small sample of cabinet, colour, and countertop, it is overwhelming. But when it all comes together, it looks great. Good luck wigh your decisions. Btw, a wood floor aleays warms up a light coloured kitchen.
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 8:40AM
Susan
Pick up that dark brown grain in the granite for the floor!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:45AM
cp20854
I would make the floors darker as well, but it depends what is on the floors in the rest of the house.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:55AM
adp3
I like your first choice the best. When I remodeled, I wanted to get away from any tans or creams in the granite because I thought it doesn't compliment the white cabinets. I looked for granite with a pure white background. I found Imperial blue granite. I used a plain white subway so it did not compete with the granite that already has enough pattern. Just food for thought! If you are going for a classic look, your cabinets will look lovely.
11 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:56AM
Elizabeth Reilly
I had done that originally Susan, but felt the look was too formal, and not as welcoming for my taste.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 8:59AM
kalieryorman
I am a kitchen designer and my parents own a custom cabinet business. I have been in thousands of kitchens. I think this will be beautiful!!!
3 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 9:13AM
Leslie O'Malley
I redid my kitchen a few years ago and took the granite off the island and used butcher block, I LOVE how it looks so much more than the granite! That said...I have french limestone floors. A friend of mine did the same, AND she has wood floors and it looks warm, and fabulous!
2 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 9:13AM
Kristin Jacobson-Brown
I just finished my kitchen with very similar materials, here is an idea of what it will look like when it is put together...the island wall is yet to be painted to match the island cabinets and the perimeter walls will be panted a grey/blue to match the colored in the back splash...
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 9:15AM
adp3
Elizabeth, if you can find photos of lots of white kitchens with granite counters, see the finished products and what appeals to you the most. It will help in making your choice.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 9:19AM
constott
Go with your gut. If the granit is bothering you, keep shopping. A richer, deeper color of granit would be much more striking
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 9:23AM
paulaogriofa
I like your first choice but would offer an alternative to the granit if still in doubt. Ceased stone has a new color called Piatra Grey ( a grey with an off white veining). That is both understated and beautiful allowing you to be a little more creative with your backsplash:)
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 9:36AM
Susan Birden
I like your original choices. I just upgraded my kithcen with very similar cabinets and granite, but to make the countertop granite "pop" and not be overwhelming, I used absolute black granite on the island and I am very happy I did! There can be "too much of a good thing" with granite that has a lot of movement to it, it ends up with that "busy" not "balanced" look I think we all strive for. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 9:51AM
renkildegaard
I selected a similar colorway when we remodeled our kitchen last year - white cabinets, white subway tile, wood floors in a medium brown, and what I feared would be an overly busy black/grey/white patterned granite for counter tops. I could not picture what the finished project would look like as we made our selections, but I am happy with how it all pulled together in the end. One thing I wish I had been more aware of with granite is how reflective it is. Consider all your light sources reflecting on your granite. If you want less "shine", consider a different material.
2 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 9:59AM
Heidi
I love the contrast. Do you plan on running the granite as a backsplash as well? I think you have a nice balance of bold with the warm flooring. The white/off white cabinets create a nice break between the cold granite and warm flooring. If you're worried about the granite being to "cold" maybe try a granite that has a warm beige or gold color fleck or vein running through it.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 10:31AM
Elizabeth Reilly
@Lesley O'Malley

I'd love to see pictures if you have them
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:02AM
Elizabeth Reilly
@adp3

Agreed, I think I have looked at 100s on houzz!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:04AM
thekelick1
What is the name of the granite? I think your choices are spectacular!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:09AM
Elizabeth Reilly
@susan Birden

I agree that too much busy granite will not work, that's why I want something tamer, but not too boring. I do like Black granite, just not in my kitchen. I'm ripping it out now because it's so hard to keep looking clean with teenage boys in the house. I need something that helps to hide some of the little messes so I don't get all worked up all the time :0) I have had ventian gold in another home before which did the trick, but the granite was very boring.
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 11:10AM
Elizabeth Reilly
@piccolodonna

No, I won't do a granite back splash in the same material. I had that in my old home put in by previous owner, and really didn't like the look. If I can convince my husband, I think that I would like a muted subway tile - color will depend on granite choice.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:17AM
alwaysdesigning
I like your choices. I prefer granite that is not speckly, myself. Go with what YOU love. We honed our granite which turned out great. Uba Tuba that was shiny black in the showroom is now a nice dark grey with specks of silver mica sparkle in my kitchen, with a Jeffrey Court copper and slate backsplash. Good luck.
4 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:20AM
Elizabeth Reilly
@thekelick1

The name of the granite is Crema Delicatus. But I'm having a problem finding a slab of it to view as I guess it isn't prevalent out there right now. so I'm looking for a different one now.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:20AM
alwaysdesigning
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:21AM
jmpjmp
I think the granite is fine with the cabinets but a little less busy might be good (go to where they have the granite slabs and pick the exact ones you like). I would, however, use a somewhat darker floor. Your raised panel cabinets are a wonderful vintage "transitional" style, so recommend downplaying modern stainless steel etc. where you can.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:27AM
rabhimself
The door it too much. To many details crammed into one door. Thin down the rails or go to a single bead along the outside. Love the counter top choice.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:27AM
mkhodges
Elizabeth...even after hearing all these beautiful options that you have been given, I still lean toward your original selections. My floor and cabs are similar in color and I did use butcher block for a small island. I'm not crazy about my black granite but consider it timeless. It adds much more sparkle than shows in pic Oh...my next project is removing short black granite backsplash and adding white subway tile.
3 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:40AM
Barbara Myslinska
I think dark wood floors would add more dimension to your kitchen:)
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:43AM
tidik
I just saw granite similar to what you are choosing at a design center and it was leathered. It was beautiful and so much nicer than the shiny polished granite.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:49AM
amydave1
Mkhodges,
I really like your cabinets. Can you tell me what brand they are?
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 11:53AM
Elizabeth Reilly
@tidik

I don't know what "leathered" granite is. sounds interesting
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 12:11PM
Elizabeth Reilly
@amydave1

My cabinets are Thomasville Camden Cotton finish. I don't think they are really all that busy. The pictured door is a tiny door, and I won't have any that tiny in my kitchen. The smaller the door, the busier it looks I would imagine.
2 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 12:13PM
jfaulk
Why not something other than granite, like a more calming ceasar stone in white or grey? Granite is becoming dated. When home builders start using granite in all their homes along with stainless steel appliances, it's time to move away from it.
2 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 12:49PM
Shirley Chase
I like your choices and would add a pop of color here and there. ie. a red/aqua/orange bowl or utensil holder, just a thing or two with a bright color/highlight.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 12:50PM
mkhodges
Elizabeth, I don't think your cabs are too busy either since they appear to be solid off white. Mine (pic above) have a mocha glaze which brings out detail even more. I think that ours differ in detail a bit but not much.

One thing you might do since you have the cabs boxed in your LR is open one and compare the granite pieces to the actual cab. Is that possible?
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 12:55PM
linban
lafleda, do you know the name of your granite? I love it.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 2:13PM
farmgirlmiranda
I have same color of granite with dark cabinets and African teak floor it looks good together.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 2:36PM
homedecorating2013
I love the granite with the white cabinets but the floors should be in a darker color then the one you chose.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 3:06PM
joywal
no I think it is enough to spice up an otherwise quiet combination.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 3:09PM
Leslie O'Malley
I do not think the floor should be darker
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 4:05PM
Toxchick
I have almost the exact granite in my current kitchen with cherry cabinets. Light cabinets on the wall and dark on the island. I love it! Everyone comments on his great the granite is. We have cream travertine looking backsplash. Your cabinets aren't busy, they are custom and high end. :)
2 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 4:11PM
Elizabeth Reilly
@toxchick

I would love to see a picture of your kitchen!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 4:22PM
amlyd
I believe I have the same granite and I absolutely love it. Do you know the name?
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 4:26PM
mjk113
I love the granite. I am re-doing my kitchen and am going to do white cabinets. Can you tell me the name of the granite. Please share this information with me m1o1m3@aol.com
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 6:02PM
Elizabeth Reilly
Granite is Crema Delicatus
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 6:10PM
thea8873
i liked your first choice for granite the best and think it will look very beautiful and also formal. I didn't like the floor color and thought darker would be better with that granite and the elegant look you will get using that style door front:).
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 6:21PM
terolynl
Go with what you like. A lot of people would hate my kitchen choices but I love them. I am the one that has to live with it and work in it. Unless you know you will sell within the next 3-5 years it should be a room with which you are happy. If you are third or forth guessing yourself then there is something in the mix that is "off". (We all second-guess ourselves....) If you figure that out - you'll be fine!
4 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 6:29PM
jillgriffin
Stick with your first choices if you love them. They are beautiful! I just did my kitchen and had a nagging doubt about my backsplash and changed it at the last minute to the one in the back of my mind that I REALLY wanted and am soooooo glad I did. You know what you love and you should definitely go with it. Your original granite choice is far more sophisticated than the alternated choices.....
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 7:39PM
sweethomecolumbia
I love your choices and agree with others re: pillowed white subway tile backsplash. You might consider painting your island a contrasting colour like grey to add depth and dimension. Good luck- it will be gorgeous.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 10:36PM
TheWong AndOnly
Alaska White Granite, Manhattan Madison 2x8 glass, Omega Cherry River Onyx.
3 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:06PM
cazzz45
love your first choice..love it.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:27PM
petronellaroth
I have quartz counter tops in my kitchen full of veins of crystal and various inclusions with plain tiles and wooden cabinets with no profile with stainless steel handles, stove, extractor hood ect. The quartz adds a bit of charactar and matches the colour of the steel without being dead.
I dont care too much for the fussy, dead white cbinet doors with it.
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 11:52PM
macgrill
I gutted my kitchen a few years ago. All my cabinets were custom made, painted Farrow and Ball's color "Tallow" with a Van Dyke brown glaze. My island was also custom made painted F&B color "Rectory Red" with the same glaze. I used an absolute black granite on all the counters with a black Kohler porcelain sink. The backsplash is a crackled glazed subway tile. On the red island, I used a very busy slab granite with huge swaths of colors, including red and black to make the biggest impact. I added another Kohler sink. This type of slab granite would not have looked good cut up into counter sized pieces.

I love your choices and would ignore those people who dislike our "busy" cabinets. Perhaps you could think about putting a solid color on the counters and paint your island a color that would pick up the main color in your slab piece. It was a good solution for me when I went through this exact same dilemma.
Please post the after photos. I think your kitchen will be beautiful!
2 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 12:12AM
bozena89
your first pics are really cool! can't wait to see what it looks like once finished!
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 5:12AM
berwyn05
We have just finished a home renovation. The style of my house is different to yours but I have off white cabinets and also struggled with the choice for counter tops. Eventually we decided to have the island in the patterned granite and have the outer counter tops in a darker uniform granite that picked up the swirling black streak on the island. Our color scheme is back, gray and off white. We are extremely happy with the outcome and our kitchen always gets many positive comments
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 6:17AM
darbarollins
Don't worry about your white cabinets. My kitchen is much the same size as yours with very little natural light (one smallish window over the sink). I love dark wood cabinetry, but I knew it would darken the room even more so I decided on white. My contractor advised me to choose the brightest white I could find and I couldn't be more pleased. My taste is very simple, so my cabinets simply have a recessed panel (I also thought that style would be easier to clean). The white cabinets are perfect with my dark granite and natural stone backsplash. You're doing the right thing by placing the components side-by-side for comparison. If you like the overall look of the samples when placed side-by-side, you will like the final result. I went with the same granite on my island that I used on my countertops. I had considered a butcher block top, but am really glad I went with the same granite. It makes everything look all pulled together. There are so many choices out there that it is really easy to begin second-guessing yourself and get confused. It's like going into a new restaurant with a 10-page menu - I never can decide what to order. You made your original choices for a reason. If you like them, then stick with them.
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 7:50AM
Elizabeth Reilly
Since the original choice is not available anywhere, this is my new favorite what do you think??
7 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 12:01PM
gypsyrose17
I like it, when they fabricate anything with distinctive portions being different than others they involve the customer in the cuts so you can choose what goes where.
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 1:12PM
love2browse
I have the exact same style of door from Omega, but in a cherry. If it's not too late I would recommend adding a glaze for two reasons. The glaze gets hung up in the details and adds a richness to the doors. The doors take a little longer to clean because of all the details and the glaze could help hide dirt. It's been 7 years since my remodel and one of my regrets is not doing the glaze.
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 1:34PM
Elizabeth Reilly
I did think about the glaze, but it would have made the cabinets even more busy looking, which I didn't want. Too late anyway - cabinets are in boxes in my living room!
2 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 2:06PM
patrice1484
Your first granite choice is unusual and not a typical choice. It will have that Wow factor everytime you enter the room, so go with your instincts and stick with your first choice. The medium oak colour floor is lovely, but will dominate the space because you look down onto a large expanse. What about using the same width plank but use a wood that has a gray wash. This works better with the granite's gray tones but still has the lovely grain.

Railway tiles in a bonded brick pattern may be too fussy with the granite's veining. What about using a glass splashback in the soft gray of the granite veining and have a sandblasted finish to take off the high gloss shine of smooth glass?

Alternatively, you might want to consider a splashback in the cooking area only, with upstands everywhere else, all in the granite. The walls above the upstands can be finished in a scrubbable paint.

There is some beige in the granite as well as greys, so you have a good choice of metal finishes to choose from for your cabinet hardware. Pewter would work well ,as would bronze. The door design calls for a more traditional style, either handle or knobs or both.

Your kitchen will look terrific. May we see it when it's done, please?
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 4:30PM
Elizabeth Reilly
Hi Patrice1484, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I can't find a slab of my original choice and will probably go with the last choice I pictured today. I've already purchased the floor - it is a Maple, 4 inch wide board - same as the original floor I showed. Any advice on those materials?
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 5:07PM
catieb
Too bad they can't find a slab for you anywhere.

I think the first choice has an OOH!!!! factor.....this choice has an AH! factor. You won't be sorry; it will look just fine and you can put a little more oomph into your backsplash. (oh goodie.....another selection to make!)

Seriously - you've done a great job of trying to hunt down the dream, after all that work I think the only question you have to ask yourself is: Will I walk in and say to myself: "this should have been the other granite". If you don't think you'll do that, then go with this. If you think you'll have those thoughts each time, then my suggestion is to go after something completely different. Consider solid surface material.

I've learned - if you can't use the first solution, don't make do. You'll end up with a better final product if you step back, take a breath and rethink the entire look for a few mintues. Open your mind up to some new possibilities. And I'll bet you come up with something that makes you even happier.
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 6:27PM
Elizabeth Reilly
there is also this one, which is lovely, but completely different.
9 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 6:55PM
catieb
OOOOOOHHHH!!!!!!!!
YES! love it!!!!
2 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 6:58PM
catieb
What is the name of that?
It is just gorgeous....that would look so beautiful.
How can you NOT do it????
2 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 7:00PM
Tile Circle
Stunning!! And definitely more versatile than the others.
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 7:01PM
Elizabeth Reilly
I wasn't going anywhere near this look to begin with. I just happened upon this slab and said "ooooh" that's pretty. But I thought I needed more contrast with the white cabinets. It doesn't look washed out with the white cabinets? No? I'm no designer!
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 7:12PM
Elizabeth Reilly
the name is Taj Mahal
6 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 7:14PM
greendeborah67
I think it is really pretty. It's more important what you think you have to live with it
2 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 7:22PM
zx10grrrl
Oh my gosh I absolutely love it! I think the cabinets going all the way to the ceiling will keep it from being busy. BTW what kind of granite is that??
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 7:38PM
Elizabeth Reilly
Its called Taj Majal
2 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 7:51PM
catieb
Definitely not washed out. High stylin'!
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 8:07PM
jackkate2
That looks like madre perla or perla venata quartzite .. I just chose sea pearl quartize 2 weeks ago for my new white cabs and espresso island . I wanted the look of marble without the maintenance and researched on houzz and found this option. It is much less busy than granite and i wanted a soft /calm feeling in my kitchen with the focus on my cabs...i think it would be stunning but your granite choices looked great too. My cabs are much brighter than your's so you have more granite options than i did...
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 8:23PM
armipeg
When I choose a design or color, I start thinking there should be a better looking one out there. But before I go nuts, I just stick with choosing from 2 or 3 I like and finish the job. At the end either I LIKE it or I learn to like it. I still like your very first choice of the granite with the large pattern.
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 9:53PM
pjstreeter
I like you original granite choices! Maybe a bit darker on the floors though. Go with what you feel Elizabeth! I just did this too!
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 10:03PM
devory
Loove it!!!this brings light in the kitchen. Go for it :)
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 10:07PM
Elizabeth Reilly
I've switched threads to a new discussion because people still think that I have the first option available, but I don't. Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone!
0 Likes   November 26, 2013 at 3:39AM
YogaJulie
Give up on granite altogether! As designer Maria Killlam says, granite is bossy and busy! This is part of why you are having so much trouble finding one that works, and when you do settle on one, you will find that it dictates your design choices forever, or until you can afford to replace it. Go with quartz in a tighter matrix or a near solid tone, and you retain flexibility in decor choices and a nice, clean look.
2 Likes   November 26, 2013 at 8:16AM
debesl
Cabinets are too white. In order to pick up the brown in the granite, add a coffee color thin line around in the insets of the center panel. Also, go with Vanilla white. Check Kraftmade cabinets. They have a vanilla bean with coffee trim. I think you'll like it better.
0 Likes   November 28, 2013 at 7:06PM
mrr001
There is nothing busy about your cabinets at all. White is not busy. All of your choices are beautiful. I think you need to go with your personality and what makes you feel good. I was set on subway tiles. After choosing a granite with brown, beige, cream, black, my wife and I decided to go with some mini-brick multicolored tiles for the backsplash from Lowes. We like warm tones and chose Restrained Gold by Sherwin Williams for the paint color. We used the same color in the adjoining family room. The warm gold neutral goes with any color and brings out the beauty of your accessories, cabinets, etc. Our cabinets are Navaho White and are outlined with glaze to give it some pop. I have attached a picture. Excuse the somewhat messy Thanksgiving cooking stuff around the kitchen.
1 Like   November 28, 2013 at 7:29PM
Kaye Mcgann
Love your own choices. I like ghe suggestion of gray backplash tile
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 5:36PM
Elizabeth Reilly
Floors are in. I posted a new thread called Kitchen Makeover! If you want to follow along there. The floors look a little lighter than I had hoped they would. Let me know what you think if you visit my thread.
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 10:44AM
Elizabeth Reilly
All done!! Here are some before and afters
13 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 12:42PM
Jessica Habicht
looks very nice!
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 1:05PM
happyasaclam
Beautiful! So very clean and light :)
2 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 1:08PM
YogaJulie
Really nice job!
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 1:11PM
m3459
Absolutely yummy!! It was worth all the agony...
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 1:40PM
abbyjean
Just having your things ON THE COUNTER has to make it feel like home once again.
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 2:01PM
abbyjean
Sorry if this was mentioned, but what is the plan for stools at the island???
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 2:02PM
saratogaswizzlestick
It looks beautiful. I am glad you persevered and found another great granite.
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 2:08PM
mkhodges
Elizabeth....it's beautiful! I'm so glad you have those floors and not darker. Granite/cabs excellent. I think you accomplished a bright, airy, non busy kitchen which is what I prefer also. Now.....just as a "future" suggestion....to add a wow factor...you might paint your ceiling which would highlight everything you have done. Great job.

Sorry...but I just noticed that someone (maybe Amy) asked me about the brand of my cabs which I posted way early in this thread. They were custom built and the paint is matched to my wood trim but with a mocha wash. I didn't mean to ignore...just now realized someone asked me a question. Thanks for the compliment.
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 2:28PM
Elizabeth Reilly
@abbyjean

No stools picked out yet. I prefer backless so as to minimize any disruption of traffic flow. Any Suggs?
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 2:51PM
Elizabeth Reilly
@mkhodges: what color would you suggest for the ceilings? Don't know if it's doable because all ceilings in the different rooms are connected.
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 2:54PM
fmm2
Absolutely love the finished look! I'm in the process of updating my home from the early 90s and would like to know where you ordered your cabinets?
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 3:27PM
mkhodges
Elizabeth, I think both you and I like calm and neutral. I can't tell exactly what your wall color is, but I like what I see in that adjoining hallway. Is that same color also over your kitchen window in the pic? If so....that is what I would put on the ceiling, perhaps a tad deeper if you want a little more drama. You could run it right out into that hallway (I'm thinking there would be a stopping place on the hall ceiling?) IMO, the slightly darker ceiling would really show off your trim, cabs, and lights. I love your backsplash, by the way.....there might be a perfect color for the ceiling in that.
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 3:37PM
abbyjean
No suggestions right now for the stools, but again, great idea for them to be backless and not disrupt your room. Then also need to consider, as I am sure you also have thought about....kids using them? Need to swivel? Color? Composition? How many? Soooo many things, but you have done far more than this!!!
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 4:04PM
Elizabeth Reilly
@fmm2

Thank you. These are Thomasville cabinets ordered thru Home Depot, but installed by a private carpenter.
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 4:31PM
Kevin Strader
Elizabeth, the finished product looks super. Good choices. It really looks put together.
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 4:58PM
Kathryn Peltier Design
Elizabeth, your kitchen turned out beautifully! I really like the backsplash you selected, both the scale and the color.

As for the stools, I think there are a number of different ways you can go. You could introduce color here, and just about any color would work. However, I have the feeling you want to keep them somewhat low key. Here are a couple of ideas.

These from Overstock are quite nice. I think the frame finish would work because it picks up on the grays and neutrals of the countertop. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Renate-Linen-Bar-Stools-Set-of-2/7658730/product.html?refccid=JYN47TV4T3JZ5C2BAZEHRTIQYI&searchidx=80

These Ballard stools would be nice and you could select a fabric. That might be a good way to introduce color and pattern without committing to a color on the frame. You can see each fabric on the chair on their website. Scroll down and try the Scrandicci Gray. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/lacquer-louis-stool/292643

The Ballard Marlow in whitewashed frame with Beige Leather might work, too. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/marlow-nail-head-barstool/13088

The color might be better on this Dorchester "rubbed cream" http://www.ballarddesigns.com/dorchester-barstool/13371

The Ballard "Mallory" - you buy the slipcover separately http://www.ballarddesigns.com/mallory-slipcovered-barstool/220244

This is a different look, from Horchow. It is a metal frame with wood seat and huge nailhead trim. These could be stunning! http://www.horchow.com/Wilber-Stools/cprod92330011___/p.prod?icid=&searchType=MAIN&rte=%252Fcategory.service%253FNtt%253Dstool%2526pageSize%253D30%2526No%253D60%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=cprod92330011&cmCat=search
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 5:18PM
gypsyrose17
A friend has wood (hers are black, but they probably come in various options) backless stools with a slightly curved seat which slide beautifully under the counter and are totally comfortable.
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 11:45AM
saratogaswizzlestick
Get a wipe able stool. I host family get togethers and it is a standing joke who will spill on my fabric stools next. Ballard's is on sale and they look nice.
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 12:04PM
FeelsLike Heaven
I like more contrast between the cabinets and the countertop. Our vacation rental has black granite and white country cabinets. Can't get more contrast than that :)
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 4:28PM
wjsalle
Not crazy about white and grey with a wood floor... Can you do a slate floor?
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 4:34PM
mmk63
I would do a really dark floor with very little grain. Maybe an ebony. Counter top and lines of cabinets are busy. Maybe a stone with a little less drama. Less is more.
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 4:46PM
melissalee6565
Did you end up going with Taj Mahal , for your granite??? I love the outcome! Gorgeous cabinets! So fresh and airy . You will be pleased with your classic timeless look!
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 4:54PM
What do you think of this colour combo?
I am thinking about this colour combination for my...
mmlarmond
What do you think of this cabinet and granite combo?
I found a piece of granite that I absolutely love called...
hastyto
What do you guys think of this backsplash and cabinet combo?
This is a totally unique kitchen we just finished on...
Harper Construction Inc.
Painters advise NEEDED please
I am getting ready to prime my whole house - what type/brand...
byler1
What's your favorite holiday dish?
Do you wait all year for the perfect latkes? Countdown...
Bathroom flooring options that are warmer on the feet.
We need to remodel a guest bathroom that currently...
westcoastbrowns
polished porcelain tiles in kitchen + bathroom
hello, can i ask if it's ok and safe to install polished...
mishyq
buying granite
What do you look for when buying granite ?? Rating??...
dborg56