Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retrochick1

Need help choosing wall color and flooring in 50's retro kitchen

retrochick1
10 years ago
The kitchen opens to the living room and even though I love the checker board look, I don't think it will blend, so maybe wood floors

Comments (11)

• retrochick1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. I'd like to change the wall color, what do you think about either a very pale turquoise or maybe a golden yellow to give it some richness?
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Yellow and turquoise were the colours of the 50s so you are on the right track. I really love your kitchen and the table and chairs ,the only thing is that you have too much going on in it ,remove all those things from the top cabinets and stick to only 2 colours .
    http://www.elledecor.com/cm/elledecor/images/VU/turquoise-kitchen-lgn.jpg
    Eclectic Kitchen · More Info
    retrochick1 thanked Geneviève
  • retrochick1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, it is too busy. I'll definitely have to edit...lol! What do you think about countertops? Would butcher block be ok with wood floors? Then what for the backsplash?
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I love red and turquoise together! One of my favorite celebrity kitchens .. Sharon Osbourne .. pictured below:

I would paint the walls a light turquoise ... wood floors and butcher block would be awesome.

Agree that you should remove the things on top of the cabinets. Stick to red and turquoise .. it's a fabulous combination!
    retrochick1 thanked indianpatti
  • User
    10 years ago
    Red and white check linoleum. Retro, but better for your health and the environment. Google linoleum.
    retrochick1 thanked User
  • PRO
    Design Mode
    10 years ago
    Love your curtains and tablecloth!
    For your countertops you could go with a retro laminate, like the Wilsonart Indie collection.
    http://samples.wilsonart.com/c-19-indie-collection.aspx
    This is the Retro Domino chip.
    retrochick1 thanked Design Mode
  • retrochick1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Design Mode. Those countertops would be so cool. I've been searching online for vintage appliances too, so far nothing within a couple hundred miles but I'm hopeful, plus the anticipation is a lot of fun too. It's a work in progress, I'll post more pictures as it progresses. If anyone else has any thoughts or pictures you'd like to share, I'd so appreciate it.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Pale green walls.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What a fun kitchen! Big black and white checks could overwhelm the space, but smaller ones would work. I definitely think you should go with light gray walls. The top left photo shows the wall color and flooring that would be beautiful with your kitchen. The bottom left is an alternate wood flooring to consider -- if you don't want to go with small checkers.

Looks like Jeannie Nguyen and I have chosen the same photo! That's a good sign! :)

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    My grandmom had gray and white 4 x4" plastic tile with a red border for the backsplash and a deep red countertop also a sunbeam mixmaster on the counter. The pyrex and fiestaware bowls you have uptop were in a glass front cabinet with 3 drawers and doilies hanging over the shelves. There was the collection of salt and pepper shakers on a shelf and the bear cookie jar. Her kitchen changed colors often from turquoise to bright yellow to wallpaper to white. There was always a braided rag rug on the floor. Oh and the HUGE wooden fork and spoon and pompoms on the curtains.

It was always a cluttered mass of eyecandy and fun. I got to wear her ruffled bib apron when I helped but I wasn't supposed to get it dirty.