Screen Deck Flooring? What works in all weathers?
karensew
We have a 10 x 30 foot deck ten feet off the ground. We are changing it to a screened in porch. It will be roofed, screened and we want the flooring to be something that will survive and do well in our Arkansas weather....that varies from 100* in summer to teens in the winter. We checked into vinyl laminate, but were told that the expansion and contraction makes that unfeasable. Tile? Wood? It faces east and will not get much direct sun in hot weather due to nearby trees. Any suggestions?

This is the only picture I can get this morning due to the rain. It shows the kitchen tile. I'd like it to look good next to that. We have two large windows that will be open to the porch area so I'd like it to flow well.
Michael Lee, Inc
cedar decking just like a deck then drop some cool rugs - see attached
November 21, 2013 at 9:24am     
karensew
Thanks for the suggestion! Should those have space between the boards? We have already put down plywood decking because we really want this to be bug free. Mosquitos are bad in the summer... would this still work?
Has anyone tried tile?
November 21, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Can you get the same tile you have in the kitchen? It would look more like an extension of the house if you could.
November 21, 2013 at 4:34pm        Thanked by karensew
ce55
Look at armourgarage.com. They carry some very tough outdoor floor coatings that can handle the weather.
November 21, 2013 at 4:55pm      Thanked by karensew
ce55
FYI: if you go with decking on top of plywood subfloor make sure you have a way to drain the water that will pool under the decking causing water damage to your subfloor.
November 21, 2013 at 4:57pm      Thanked by karensew
karensew
Darzy....Great idea! I really like that because it would make both areas look bigger! Do you know if there is any difference between porcelin vs. ceramic tile for outdoor installations?

ce55....I haven't been able to access the web address you provided. I will keep trying! Good tip on draining the water....if we end up having to go that route, we will keep that in mind.

We are hoping to get it framed in the day after Thanksgiving. No black Friday shopping here! Thanks for the comments, all!
November 24, 2013 at 5:42am   
rosecottagehome
I think porcelin tile is rated for outdoors. Just check the symbol on the boxes the tile comes in. I like the same tile idea Darzy suggested as well, for the flow from inside to out. I love a screened in porch! Lucky you.
November 24, 2013 at 6:07am      Thanked by karensew
karensew
I checked with hubby and he thinks what we have is ceramic. We will see what we can find that is similar.
November 24, 2013 at 8:08am   
ce55
Cut and past http://www.armorgarage.com/ into your browser and see if it comes up
November 25, 2013 at 3:53pm   
To drop or not to drop
Am installing ceilings in my new house and am mulling...
What type of glass inserts should we get?
Transitional kitchen/great room, Carrera marble subway...
Lighting design
I'm building a new house and need to decide on my lighting....
BM Revere Pewter for walls - what corresponding color for niches??
Love BM Revere Pewter - I'm using this color to paint...