How do you stay warm?
Jeannie Nguyen
November 21, 2013 in Polls
It's getting colder! What's your favorite way to stay warm?

Vote below and tell us your best tricks to stay warm. If you got pictures, post them too!
Heated Floors
Heater
Fireplace
Other - Tell us Below!
Novin Trading Co.
second picture is radiator or heater? As you know radiator get hot by hot water circulation, and if the hot water pipes to be installed in the floor, so we'll have hot radiator, hot water for bath and kitchen and heated floor.
November 21, 2013 at 10:35am     
Studio NOO Design
Heated floors in my bathroom and kitchen have changed my life ! Since we live in cold winter Montreal, Canada, I really appreciate having my feet warm when I cook or get out of the shower...for me this is the ultimate luxury !
November 21, 2013 at 12:22pm     
carole
woodburner with backboiler for the radiators and hot water,works well it can get to minus 26 celcius here,but the house is never cold..
November 21, 2013 at 12:27pm     
mousemaker
I grew up in a house with heated floors, but it was kind of random heat :) It was a long long time ago, i'm sure the technology is better now. Before that it was a drafty old farmhouse..
but now? now i'm in an old old old house but it has new new new windows and a new furnace (well, maybe 15yrs old) so we're good. Plus, I wear lots of layers because I am just cold :) my dream is to have a fireplace insert if only we could figure out how to vent it.
November 21, 2013 at 12:43pm     
yoboseiyo
i have a regular heater with vents at floor level.
November 21, 2013 at 12:44pm     
mousemaker
oh yes. the vents! they're dust traps in my house :) whenever the heat comes on the dust blows! so it's my excuse for not having a super clean house :)
November 21, 2013 at 1:18pm     
terriwyz
This Lasko air heater Model 5628 is best room heater ever! Silent and effective.
November 21, 2013 at 1:22pm     
Kari D
A combo of things. A heater/furnace in the house. Heated floors in the barn (manages to heat the whole building well). And, unfortunately, the fireplace is not operable at the moment-it's on the to do list. But my favorite ways to keep warm are sweatpants, a throw blanket, kitty in my lap, and a mug of hot tea or cocoa.
November 21, 2013 at 2:37pm     
PirateFoxy
Don't have them at the moment, but I LOVE heated floors in bathrooms. My aunt had one installed in her house in Minnesota and since then I have considered it to be the greatest winter house thing ever. (My feet are always cold.)

At the moment I'm on the hunt for an attractive low-profile way to add heat to an existing room that isn't connected to the radiator system the rest of the house uses. I'm trying to decide if I could live with a wall-mount electric fire as a design feature, or if I should go the other route with some kind of baseboard heater and just try to distract from it so you don't notice it's there.
November 21, 2013 at 3:10pm     
G-Town Tex
This year: Regular central heating.
Next year: Moving to Texas so a total non issue!!!
November 21, 2013 at 3:12pm     
bmcmahon
Pellet stove insert......warms the whole house.
November 21, 2013 at 3:36pm     
bmcmahon
Ps. The pooch loves it too.
November 21, 2013 at 3:40pm     
Jolene
By living in Southern California....
November 21, 2013 at 3:58pm     
carole
this is ours...
November 21, 2013 at 4:23pm     
beverlynn
Doing what I'm doing now, sitting by the fireplace with a cup of spiced/spiked cider with spicy scented candles...
November 21, 2013 at 4:45pm     
imdb
I grew up always wearing sweaters at home. These days I splurge on the heater. I refuse to be cold in my own home! We have forced air heating, hot showers, a fireplace, space heaters and an electric blanket in a pinch.
November 21, 2013 at 4:51pm     
Jeannie Nguyen
My roommate and I have a dinky ol' heater in our apartment. We are totally spoiled Californians who cry when it is below 50 degrees. I can't help it! :(
November 21, 2013 at 5:21pm     
747.2fra
Wood stove! I love the intense heat. Before we had the wood stove I spent evert Jan/Feb researching warm locales to move to. Now I enjoy life here year round.
November 21, 2013 at 5:34pm     
happyasaclam
Central heat. I don't have to get up and feed the wood heater like I did 30 years ago.
November 21, 2013 at 5:35pm     
Juboka Ltd
I have always loved a good old fashioned functional fireplace... ( is that an oxymoron?).... but with a really cool vintage heatilator to push all the hot air into the house. They work great! We are in SOCAL, so all we have is the portable heater variety, except in the new bedroom, we got a nice wall mount heater / a/c combo.
November 21, 2013 at 5:42pm     
TMK Remodeling
November 21, 2013 at 6:01pm     
chookchook2
So much hot air on Houzz ;)
November 21, 2013 at 6:24pm     
kittt29
My favorite way is definitely the fireplace-I don't think I could live happily without one! But....I'm always cold so I use any form of heat I can get. The furnace, space heaters, blankets, hot tea, & my fireplace!
November 21, 2013 at 6:30pm     
dclostboy
Gotta curl up with the puppies to stay warm
November 21, 2013 at 6:50pm     
Fred S
Sweater
November 21, 2013 at 7:02pm     
mefor
D'oh Bart!!
November 21, 2013 at 7:12pm     
mefor
Heated floors :)
November 21, 2013 at 7:13pm     
armipeg
I voted other for central heat.
November 21, 2013 at 11:16pm     
mousemaker
had our first snow last night!!!
November 22, 2013 at 7:35am     
momof5x
It depends, if in a very cold country than it would be nice to have a fire place and warm woolies, if 'winter' in another country, just warm woolies and fluffy socks .
November 22, 2013 at 9:12am     
Sandra McRitchie
Gas Central Heating, lined curtains, blinds on the windows and insulation x
November 22, 2013 at 9:21am     
midmodfan
We have central radiant heating throughout. It was a must-have when we were house hunting. Plus sweaters, throws and an affectionate cat. ;-)
November 22, 2013 at 10:04am     
Vent and Cover
Baseboard heater! Hydronic, of course.
November 22, 2013 at 11:36am     
indianpatti
Fireplace, faux fur blankets, fur baby on my lap, hot cup of tea or coffee and very soon, my own, snuggly warm pair of houzz slipperz :)
November 22, 2013 at 11:44am     
bluenan
We just laid a roaring fire, time to go enjoy! I don't like an over heated house so I wear sweaters and layers. Some day I'll have heated floors in my master bath. A nice cup of cocoa is always warm and comforting, think I'll make one to drink by the fire....
November 22, 2013 at 4:09pm     
mousemaker
I agree :) except I would add maybe just maybe? a towel warmer!!! :)
November 23, 2013 at 12:21pm     
Marilyn Wilkie
Downstate we have central heating but keep it at 60 most times and 66 for a while in the morning and evening. We use 3M on the older windows and it really makes a difference. I also have one of those Heat Dish's from Costco. But it really only works to warm one person at a time, unless you were both snuggled together. Upstate we have a wood burning insert and central heating. The wood burner keeps the whole house at about 70 degrees. When we aren't there we keep the furnace at 50 degrees or drain the hot water heater and turn the heat off. No problems with that last winter. You can actually acclimate yourself to cooler temperatures by not wearing as many clothes. Some people around here actually wear shorts year round.
November 23, 2013 at 1:08pm     
rubyloves2shop
I just purchased a new heater @ http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24683016 It looks like an old fashioned stove! So far it is great since it hasn't been very cold. I only run it for 5-10 minutes or just put on the visual part of it for ambiance. We just used the gas fireplace once I rarely ever use my central heating since I live in So. CA and I like it kinda on the cool side. I also have a throw on the couch is case I need to warm up while relaxing. A glass of wine works well for us CA girls!
November 23, 2013 at 6:01pm     
sophie69
Heated mattress pad at night...furry cat in the daytime!
November 23, 2013 at 6:26pm     
edithsmom
We have gas heat in our well-insulated, well-built small condo unit and keep the temperature low. Wool sweaters, lined jeans and hot tea or cocoa help. At night, quilts and flannel sheets on the bed, but boy, are those tile floors in the bathrooms and kitchen cold!
November 23, 2013 at 8:03pm     
Sigrid
Good furnace, good insulation, tight windows will keep you warm.
November 24, 2013 at 5:15am     
Leda Schupbach
Wear sweater and slippers at home
November 24, 2013 at 7:22am   
dondegrace0417
We have a pellet stove that heats the house so good. I love the heat of a real flame fire. As you can see by the attached photos, the kitties love it too.
November 25, 2013 at 7:42am     
mousemaker
I love your kitty photo!!! reminds me of the dear departed!! our Maine coon used to lay like that next to the fan!!
November 25, 2013 at 2:08pm     
Piff
Socks - I'm a cheap SOB and I hate to pay for the electricity costs of additional heating in my past and present apartments.
November 25, 2013 at 2:30pm     
mommickey
We have electric heat. I hate it. We do have a basement fireplace. it is an insert but better than nothing. I would love to change it to fireplace without an insert or wood stove. We have a back up generator for emergency's. Along with the fireplace.
November 25, 2013 at 4:35pm   
PirateFoxy
Does anyone have experience with electric underfloor radiant heat? We have a wee tiny mud room area that I want to redo with tile (slate, probably, I've always liked how it looks and how it doesn't get slippery when wet) and there isn't really a heat source there atm so I'm wondering if it would be worth installing something when it's all ripped up to do the tile anyway, to keep it from being TOO cold to comfortably use when removing shoes (cold tile floors = no fun) and to maybe help any moisture on the floor evaporate.

The rest of the house uses radiator heating so in theory I could possibly get the water fed under floor heating, but I'm worried about the height of the finished floor interfering with doors and causing a trip hazard on thresholds.
November 25, 2013 at 10:08pm     
rosecafe
Built this house back in '95 and installed Radiant heat panels throughout the 10' to 25' ceilings. Zoned and remote controlled.
Radiant heat travels through space, just like sunshine, so no cool spots, no dusty air blowing around, no wood chopping, no gas fumes and the entire volume within the home was evenly warmed. 1/2 inch pine ceilings under the heat panels and Fibreglass insulation on top. Colorbond iron roof. Timber frame and painted weatherboard exterior. Don't know the brand or manufacturer, sorry. But.... Highly recommended if your'e building anywhere the weather gets cold. : )
November 25, 2013 at 11:19pm     
mefor
Pirate foxy, great idea! I have both hot water radiant and electric system. While the hot water is more efficient, it is more expensive to put in, it's not just adding the tubing, and raising the floor. The electric is great, especially to take the chill off, and keep floors dry. There are ready made mats as well as custom sized and shaped. I'm sure one that is pre made in a square or rectangle will work fine for you. You'll be very happy with it :)
November 26, 2013 at 2:29am   
Piratefoxy, we did exactly what I think you are describing. We have a house from the 1920's with a steam radiator system throughout that can't be added to. We built a great-room/sunroom addition onto our kitchen where an old screened porch used to be, but we had to find some way to heat it. We put electric radiant heat into the concrete subfloor, with a wood floor on top (not ideal for heat conduction, but we needed it to match the wood floor in our kitchen since the rooms are continuous). The system works perfectly, with lovely warm floors in our sunroom and our radiators heating the rest of the house. Our dogs think we built the sunroom just for them as the combination of warm floors and floor to ceiling windows for backyard squirrel watching are their idea of heaven.
In your case, tile or slate would be much better heat conductors than our wood, thus keeping the space even warmer.
November 26, 2013 at 6:28am     
PirateFoxy
@mfoor and @feeny - Thanks, that makes my plans sound fairly promising. Although I may have to invest in a heated dog bed also to keep the pooch from hogging all the floor space and getting in the way of people actually using the mudroom entrance! :)

(My aunt in Minnesota has had underfloor heating for years, going back to when only the water variety was available, and it has horribly spoiled me. There's no bathroom renovation in the plans at the moment, but I'm sure if we do decide to start mucking around in either room, underfloor heating will be considered there, too. Even in a room that does have another heat source, it just makes some floor surfaces so much more comfortable in the winter.)
November 26, 2013 at 7:31am     
Infratech Comfort Heaters
No matter the temperature, the weather or the season, our infrared heaters keep us warm and cozy all year long both indoors and out. (A cup of hot cocoa doesn't hurt too!)
November 26, 2013 at 12:26pm   
mousemaker
I was at book group last night and it was way too hot for me :) Not the book! the house.
I had a really nice time, but it was so hot!!! I was glad to get out in the cold afterwards.
i'm one of those people who is always cold, yet last night I could feel my ears burning! :)
November 26, 2013 at 12:53pm     
Fred S
If these hot and cold episodes continue .....
November 26, 2013 at 1:04pm     
Need help styling my kitchen.
My kitchen is missing the wow factor that is created...
Are you Going Out for Wardrobe Shopping?
Whenever there is a function or event in our house,...
Brown everything. Searching for a rug... Help!
Hello. I am searching for a rug to put in my living...
European Oak Flooring
Has anyone had any issues with European Oak flooring...