Door Knobs or Lever Handles, Which do you prefer?

Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.November 21, 2013
The City of Vancouver Canada has recently banned the use of doorknobs in new construction, single family homes, in favor of lever handles due to accessibility and safety concerns. Do you think this goes too far? Which do you prefer?
Door Knob
Lever Handle
Nicole Lee
I actually like both! I wouldn't be able to choose!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 11:05AM
TheRTAStore
Both are good but levers are a lot easier for older people and people who have trouble gripping a door knob. Its always best to plan for the future and use levers. We will all be there one day! :) There are some really beautiful lever designs out there.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 11:09AM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
No, I don't think it "goes too far". Having cared for my increasingly frail, elderly mother for 4 yrs. I now know that levers are easier to work than knobs.

LEVERS. No question. I also encourage you to stop thinking of "bans" in the context of "gov't. intervention" and more in the context of making things easier to use for those who're elderly/infirm/ "dis"abled!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 11:09AM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Banning seems a bit much (just watch, hits Victoria next with all those heritage style homes... All that said, I agree that levers are an improvement for accessibility. Arthritis and simple aging processes can make door knobs difficult to use. If the house style requires them, consider oblong knobs for a better grip.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 11:10AM
Carla NN
This is a timely question. I am considering the same right now. I like the oil rubbed bronze knobs that are almost black for a timeless look. My cat can jump and open any lever door. My only worry is trying to open a door with knob with hands full or getting arthritis and not being comfortable turning the knob. Older Houzz readers, please give your thoughts!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 11:11AM
Carla NN
Daybreak, It seems reasonable to require them in apartments or other non private places. But I don't agree with telling people what to have in their own homes. A future buyer can always change the knobs to levers or choose a different home to buy if they are concerned. Next they will tell us how bright the light in the bathroom needs to be.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 11:16AM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
Carla, I never thought I'd have to accommodate my mother in my home. Not many young, fit, athletic people think about things like that. I sure didn't. Neither did my brother. And it was a major dope slap, "wake up" moment for us both! I understand your feelings on the subject, but thinking practically, doesn't it make better sense to use levers instead of knobs in construction/renovation?

Stop thinking about the topic in terms of what "you can't do" (and gov't REGULATION) and start thinking about it in terms of what using levers will do for accessibility and long term value to your home. None of us knows when we'll be dealt a blow that will incapacitate us in one way or another.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 11:35AM
indianpatti
I like knobs better ... always seem to catch my coat or purse on levers.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 11:37AM
kimdee24
Just to be clear about the Vancouver banning of door knobs --

this applies only to NEW CONSTRUCTION.

It's not like they're going to force everyone to retrofit their houses.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 11:41AM
Unlike the 42" rails on 1890's porches? I hope you are right, kimdee24, but such rules often spread to renovations.

I am a strong believer in safety and will built construction, but have too many examples of regulatory "fixes" that become standards requiring a stamp, regardless of the appropriateness of a given solution. It is routine, for example, to find contractors installing a CSA stamped sink in a property and then swapping it out for the one the client wants--equally good or better, but lacking the stamp. An inspector defending the stamp requirement in the bathroom saying it was a concern about vessel sink overflow...yet there is no requirement at all that limits a faucet from swinging over the counter and pouring water all over. Of course, the faucet need a stamp, too. In reality, we have moved to a focus on process over outcome. The problem is not limited to this domain.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 12:30PM
yoboseiyo
as someone who has arthritis, i like levers for the practicality.

but i catch my coats and purse handles on them. so i like knobs a little better.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 21, 2013 at 12:42PM
Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.
Thank you everyone for your responses. Across all social media platforms, I found that the vote was 4.5 to 1 AGAINST the rule requiring the use of levers versus knobs, but the preference for levers is actually higher than knobs.
    Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 3:23PM
happyasaclam
I prefer levers for all the reasons listed above, but for the government to dictate which doorknob we chose to use in our homes is going way overboard! If we were talking about commercial buildings only I would still have issues with that. However, in commercial buildings, certain areas should have levers. Bathrooms and exits are two examples. But then I don't live in Canada so my opinion really doesn't count.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 22, 2013 at 4:03PM
PirateFoxy
I find it reasonable for the government to have such a rule about public-use buildings (businesses, etc.) and to have a GUIDELINE about using levers over knobs, but actually making it a law seems a bit odd to me.

That said, I've had arthritis since I was 10, so levers on doors and also lever-style handles on sinks are pretty much non-negotiable for me. It's just so much easier even on days when my hands are really bad.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 22, 2013 at 7:40PM
Paris Flea
If you come in or out of your home with packages - laundry, groceries a baby on your hip, etc. door levers are your friend.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 24, 2013 at 7:18AM
coltsneck07722
To Daybreak: hopefully we will never stop thinking about what gov't says we can't do! This is an unnecessary intrusion and many more will follow. I am an older woman and I appreciate the value of levers, high countertops, raised toilet seats and grab bars to name a few. However, in private places, I don't want my government dictating that these should be requirements. Let us continue to focus on the gov't 'can't' and keep them out of our homes.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 24, 2013 at 7:51AM
jphaynie
Toddlers looove levers! I like both, but it depends on the style of the home. We are building and will use glass round knobs with five panel doors.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sieguzi Kitchen & Home Inc.    November 24, 2013 at 7:52AM
Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd
Definitely handles. If I am carrying something, door knobs are not practical at all
    Bookmark   December 16, 2014 at 11:06AM
adivra
Yes, that take the nanny state to the extreme. However, I only will install levers in my home.
    Bookmark   December 16, 2014 at 12:06PM
Thoughts on door knobs/levers
I am trying to replace all the door hardware in my...
kimwim
Emtek or Schlage Lever for interior doors?
I am replacing the hardware on all of our interior...
lantana17
Should we put lever handles or knobs on doors of a high priced house?
My clients are building new construction. I have given...
barb11242
Dining Chairs
I have three antique pressed-back chairs - and I want...
wlshaw
Tired bathroom needs HELP!
Hallo! my problem is with our master bathroom.It needs...
ingevl
Bathtub surround tile.
Need advice about bathtub surround tile. I Will be...
sallycasci
Need help to put entire kitchen on one wall.
I just purchased a 2-unit property, and the kitchen...
Katie Pritchett
Sponsored Products
Fresca Bathroom Torino 84 in. Double Vanity in Espresso with Ceramic Vanity Top
Home Depot
STERLING Shower Enclosures Finesse 59-5/8 in. x 58-5/16 in. Frameless Sliding
Home Depot
American Drew Cherry Grove Breakfront China Cabinet - ADL1020
Hayneedle
Kerry Ebony and Antique Brass Table Lamp
$560.00 | Bellacor
Signature Design by Ashley North Shore Dining Room Server in Dark Brown Finish
Overstock.com
Quoizel Thompson LED Aged Brass Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
48" Braemar Vanity with Vessel Sink - Thai Teak
Signature Hardware
Cottage Traditions Desk and Chair Set with Optional Hutch - AWR060
$776.00 | Hayneedle