Do you park your car in the garage?
Jeannie Nguyen
November 22, 2013 in Polls
Is your garage used for cars or some other purpose?

Vote and tell us where you park your cars. If you got pictures, post them too!
In the garage
Outside the garage
Christine R
Our current house (rental) is too small, so we use the garage for storage.
November 22, 2013 at 8:49am     
happyasaclam
Our two bay garage was evidently meant to house sub-compacts. We can't get our pickup or my full size car into the garage, so we use it for storage and working on projects we don't to do in the house. :(
November 22, 2013 at 8:56am     
hyweld
We only use our garage for the Porsche. Funnily enough we have the exact same one as in the above (second in from the right) picture however our one is in bright red not white.
November 22, 2013 at 9:27am     
condomary
In garage with 61 other cars.
November 22, 2013 at 9:53am     
armygirl1987
Garage for storage, house is very small.
November 22, 2013 at 9:57am     
midmodfan
I park my car in our one car garage, while my husband parks his company car on a public parking lot. Neighbors use their garages for storage, but we are minimalists. ;-)
November 22, 2013 at 10:00am     
Robin W
I had to modify my garage door and raise the opener but I'm able to fit my Dodge pickup in my garage as long as I back it in. After living many years in apartments and having to dig my car out of snow banks, I love not having to scrape or brush off the truck in the mornings. Wouldn't trade it for almost anything!
November 22, 2013 at 10:03am     
bbarick
Its a rule at our house...garages are for vehicles. Fit in a freezer, cabinetry, shelving if possible, but definitely no filling the room up with junk so the cars don't fit!
November 22, 2013 at 10:03am     
smugsy1122
Heck, we bought our new house because the old one only had a one-car garage and neither one of us wants to dig snow off of their vehicle.
November 22, 2013 at 11:00am     
Stacey at Dohiy.com
Agreed on the snow! That's why we have a garage -- it's a snow screen, basically.
November 22, 2013 at 11:17am     
solraven
bbarrick, we're right there with you. We have storage shelves, in the garage, but nothing that takes away it's main use as a place to park our cars.

Growing up in NJ, I was always told how bad salt is, on a car, so I always made sure to wash it off, regularly, after snow storms and salted roads.

When I moved to FL, no one warned me that the powerful sunshine would ruin my car's paint job. It went from looking brand new, to ruined in 1.5 years of parking in direct south facing sunlight.

When we looked for homes, it absolutely had to fit both of our cars. I would not get my car repainted, or buy a new one, unless I knew it was protected, most of the time. I'm surprised that so many neighbors park their cars outside. Besides being harsh on the paint, the interior will get close to 150ºF in the summer.
November 22, 2013 at 11:19am     
Creative Home Staging
Now that the garage is mostly cleaned out we can park 2 vehicles in there.
November 22, 2013 at 11:26am     
unwantedadvice
I'll take one of each car in that garage posted, please. We have two-car garage but can only "houzz" one. We had built-in storage installed and it is 36" deep, so that helps with storage issues. We only have one car anyway, we're both retired.
November 22, 2013 at 11:27am     
indianpatti
In the garage ... hate scraping my windows at 6 am! 3-car garage ....2 for our cars, the other for our motorcycles.
November 22, 2013 at 11:28am     
armygirl1987
Hmmmm- I live in Florida and don't have to worry about snow. Not a minimalist and not a hoarder either but I could chose to park outside and use garage. In case of hurricane everything is in shelf and there is space for suv.
November 22, 2013 at 1:31pm     
Studio NOO Design
Don't have a garage !
November 22, 2013 at 1:36pm     
747.2fra
Our garage is older and too narrow to open car doors when the car is inside. So it is a storage shed for us. In Montana so snow is an issue. Luckily we both work less than a mile from home so we walk most days.
November 22, 2013 at 1:38pm     
kimdee24
It lives in the garage. That's what it's for! Plus, I have had more than enough scraping frost and brushing snow off windshields to last a lifetime.
November 22, 2013 at 1:40pm     
printesa
We have a three car garage, but we can probably use one of them for the car. One is taken by my husband's tools, so it became a tool shop. The middle one is kind of an extension to his tool shop. I am hoping to have cabinets installed this coming spring so we can actually fit a car easily and maybe a second one.
November 22, 2013 at 2:05pm     
dclostboy
Would you park your car on the street in DC? :)
November 22, 2013 at 2:11pm     
solraven
I think it also depends if you decent storage, or a basement. Here in FL we're so close to sea level that basements are not possible, or if possible, not dry. LOL... I suppose you'll also need mid sized, or smaller cars. We have a mid engine two seater and a Mustang. The Mustang is our family car. LOL... That being said, when I replace my two seater, the car I get will have to fit in our garage.

However, if I get a Tesla, and it feels too tight, I'll replace the garage! LOL....
November 22, 2013 at 3:25pm     
diyher
we have a 3 car garage, used to park both cars and the 3rd garage was used just for an entry to the side of the house. Now our garage is filled with boxes and we park outside our garage :)) Hope to eventually do our basement, so we can use the extra things in the boxes in the basement and then be able to park the cars in the garage again.
November 22, 2013 at 3:36pm     
diyher
@Printesa, are you from PA? I ask only because those lily pads look familiar :)
November 22, 2013 at 3:39pm     
Kari D
Depends on the weather.
November 22, 2013 at 4:01pm     
7j Design, Ottawa
Garage is used for storage and the cars are on the driveway.
November 22, 2013 at 4:34pm     
solincia
Two car attached garage is meant for the cars! We keep our lawn mower, snowblower and the like in there as well. When it snows, and with freezing rain, I wouldn't want to be stuck in the driveway!
November 22, 2013 at 5:15pm     
unwantedadvice
@dc, no I wouldn't want to park my car on the street in D.C. I have heard that it is a nightmare. Also, not so many houses there with garages, like Georgetown, etc. Same problem in other major cities with the going round and round until you find a spot! No thanks. Would not want a car at all.
November 22, 2013 at 5:46pm     
kccasebolt
All our stuff from our basement is in the garage right now. Trying to get the basement finished.
November 22, 2013 at 5:52pm     
mycull
my previous comment was inadvertantly ended. please don't publish it in its current unedited state.
November 22, 2013 at 11:06pm   
chookchook2
Our milder climate allows us to park outside a lot.
November 22, 2013 at 11:17pm     
sbrustein
I have a 2 car garage and so much crap in it, that currently I have room for neither car. Oh well, someday....
November 22, 2013 at 11:33pm   
printesa
@diyher, not PA, but very close,,DE:) Longwood Garden is my favorite place! We are redoing the front yard and back and my husband is making fun of me that I will have a mini Longwood:)
November 23, 2013 at 5:18am     
Sustainable Dwellings
Since my car burned our last house down *parked in the garage, we park in the detached building/shop, which is fireproof.
November 23, 2013 at 6:32am     
momof5x
Ours is within the garden yard, it is not enclosed but rather canvas type coverings, each car has its place.
November 23, 2013 at 6:37am   
wifemothergoddess
We are working on several projects that need to be kept in the garage, so for now, vehicles are banished outside.
November 23, 2013 at 8:21am     
Cowart Door Systems
If you park in the drive and have a motorized door opener be sure to remove the remote transmitter. Nothing says "rob me... key inside" louder than a transmitter on the visor of a car parked outside a garage.

An easily purchased "slim jim" type device can allow someone access your car quickly and quietly, and then, voila... We have had customers call after having awakened to finding the house rifled and vehicle(s) gone. All types of neighborhoods.

Pretty scary stuff. Especially if it happens while you are in bed asleep. Not to be a fearmonger, but... Dave
November 23, 2013 at 9:07am     
printesa
We disabled the remote system..so if there is a storm, somebody better be home to open the garage from inside..and also open the latch as well:)
November 23, 2013 at 9:14am     
Cowart Door Systems
also a good option if your opener has a "lock" feature which turns off the radio receiver.
November 23, 2013 at 9:35am     
solraven
Good advice, Dave. We have an alarm entry sensor, on the garage door, as well as a motion sensor, in the garage. The opener over head light, sometimes will come on randomly, so if everyone is home, I just flip the switch off, that sends powers the entire unit.

There's no reason for the garage opener to be powered up, when everyone is home. Opening the garage, when you're rushing out the door is a simple as hitting two switches that are right next to each other.
November 23, 2013 at 11:28am   
armipeg
I park in our driveway since I'm in and out of the house several times a day, and our garage is too far in. Also, our driveway is a bit narrow for my SUV. We use it as a storage and one side of it is used for my son's art projects. He calls it "My Art Station"
November 23, 2013 at 1:10pm   
Linda
Many years ago we used to park in our garage but now it is used for storage. We could pretty easily consolidate everything and park in one bay and use the other for the grill, lawnmower, snowblower, etc.

When we first moved in, we had a minivan which required us to fold both mirrors in and line up perfectly straight with the door. We have 7 1/2 foot wide garage doors so even putting our car in the garage is just under 6 inches clearance on each side.
November 23, 2013 at 5:37pm   
kimedge
In my old home, neighbours opposite had the most beautiful garage, built in the house and completely bare except for a laundry station and a storage cupboard. All painted white, completely clean and uncluttered. I built a new house and now I have (almost) the same !!!!!!!
November 23, 2013 at 6:52pm     
leahbutler
We always park in the garage. We love the easy way in and out.
November 23, 2013 at 7:01pm     
solraven
Kimedge, do you have any pictures? We're planning on painting, our garage next month and I hadn't thought about all white.
November 23, 2013 at 7:06pm   
kimedge
I don't have one of mine, but it's about two third the size of this, exactly the same door..
November 23, 2013 at 7:35pm     
solraven
Hmmm.... that's what ours looks like now, just not empty. Even our kitchen door is in the same spot! I'll likely paint our blue, I'm just not sure if I want to paint the walls blue, or the ceiling. :)

This looks like it was taken w/ a wide angle lens. If you have a two car, I bet your garage is at least this wide. Look at the small clearance on the side of the door. It's probably 18' wide.
November 23, 2013 at 7:50pm   
andj32
4 Car garage fits 3 cars inside. One bay used for storage, Fridge, and freezer.
November 23, 2013 at 8:41pm     
thedarlingsbecca
How about a discussion on practical, not too expensive ways to organize a garage? As a woman homeowner, I just can't seem to get the garage together. (Like someone else is suppose to do it...)
November 23, 2013 at 11:09pm     
jacques976
moved into a home that was owned by a contractor that installed gutters and prefabbed them at home for install at job. the house has a two car garage that is under the house I don't like to have cars in a house since the smell of CO2 gets to me. I use the two car as a train lay out room for my hobbies. The cars go into the detached workshop that is 30x60 so I can work on them.
November 24, 2013 at 1:53am   
Nellie
Sorta of....the cars we drive sit in the driveway. BUT the car that is my husband's toy is in the garage and only comes out on sunny days. NO KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!! The opposite bay is filled to the brim!!!!!!!!!!!
November 24, 2013 at 5:15am   
coconuts1234
Bought a house this summer with a three car garage, cars parked in it all the time. Only problem is now dh thinks he needs a new car for the empty bay!
November 24, 2013 at 5:18am     
kbednarz
We've turned our garage into a gameroom. We live in Texas and rarely have a need for a garage. We did keep the garage door in place and can easily move the game stuff out of the way if we want/need to put the vehicles inside.
November 24, 2013 at 5:22am   
sunnie2day
We park in the garage. Keeps our insurance lower that the car is garaged overnight. LOL, and that cuts down on the garage clutter!
November 24, 2013 at 5:25am   
astraea
This choice may be partially climate-related. I live in the NE, where we can get plenty of snow. Growing up & when I first got a car, we lived in NYC & had no garage. Making things worse, we had a shared driveway & hydrant (no parking) right in front of the house. So I demanded, and REALLY appreciated having a garage, in all of my homes since then! Not only does it eliminate the need for scraping frost, ice & snow off the car, but I don't have to bundle up & go outside, to get into the car.
November 24, 2013 at 5:41am     
Need to park my car in the garage especially during Canadian winters!
November 24, 2013 at 5:47am     
cousinpolly1948
I live in an area that has lots of snow everyday and night! Love to park in my garage and sometimes forget to take my coat and have to turn around and come back to my house. Now I leave a coat in the car for those forgetful days.
November 24, 2013 at 5:48am   
Mayra Boothe
We park our MB in the garage, Nice cars needs garage!
November 24, 2013 at 6:22am   
Ellessebee
The only time we have used our garage for parking is when we lived in New York City and had the luxury of an attached 2-car garage. Street parking was impossible so we relied on the garage. In the suburban and country houses, we have only used the garages for storage and workshop. The cars have to be cleaned of snow/ice in winter and get pummeled by acorns in fall, but we need the storage space and can't build any more structures.
November 24, 2013 at 7:16am   
coltsneck07722
Just moved from NY to AZ. Loved the idea of using the garage for storage until desert rats ate the wiring under one of our cars, which was parked in the driveway each night. $500 later, the cars are now where they belong - in the garage.
November 24, 2013 at 7:26am     
irakar
garage in winter, driveway in summer.
hate cleaning the snow :(( and healthier for the cars.
November 24, 2013 at 7:41am   
kngshs
Have a 3 car garage and we park all three vehicles in the garage... thats the rule... nice.
November 24, 2013 at 7:41am     
kehlief
Nov 14th was a momentous day as hubby and I both pulled our cars actually into our two car integral garage! We spent a year on a whole house remodel, and for most of that time, the garage was occupied by house furnishings, while the cars languished outside. Just in time for the snow too!
November 24, 2013 at 7:54am     
winkoo
2 cars here and both go in garage. that is what a garage is for. don't let more than a couple days of mess go on out there for a project with out bringing the cars back in or the stuff will take over.
November 24, 2013 at 8:34am     
rosebud3
I used to park both my vehicles in my garage until the door with the remote stopped functioning. Every spring I say I need to get that door fixed. The other side has my "waiting to be restored" 1974 MGB.
November 24, 2013 at 8:45am     
ethersia
We recently downsized and now use our garage to store my husband's 43 and 45 year old children's "stuff," and we park our cars in the driveway.....
November 24, 2013 at 8:53am   
rosebud3
OMG, Sustainable Dwellings! That is awful!
November 24, 2013 at 8:53am     
Sylvie T.
I live in winter wonderland so the double garage is where our cars go in winter. In summer they stay outdoors to have room for bikes etc.
November 24, 2013 at 9:37am   
marr321
In California we don't have basements, so everything goes into the garage for storage. However, I do manage to park my car in there. Tight squeeze but I make it happen.
November 24, 2013 at 9:50am     
ruthmand
I don't care what happens in the rest of the garage but there better be room for my car!
November 24, 2013 at 9:57am     
dawnbc1
Have a 3. car garage that's pretty empty. Too lazy to park in there (didn't even park in there when we lived in Indiana for a few years;) and the weather isn't snowy here in the Willamette valley. Planning to renovate it to make a billiard room/media space and bar. We don't ever plan to move and are living our life.
November 24, 2013 at 10:04am   
showchef
We have a three car carpeted garage. one bay built for husband, he uses as office. Vintage convertible and our Mercedes inside. My Grand prix and ford truck sit outside. No we are not rich, they are all paid for and they are older models. We take care of our vehicles and have no desire for payments just to keep up with The Jones's. Spending our money on old 1880's farm house renovation.
November 24, 2013 at 10:11am     
erplaut
I live I'm restricted parking. Right now I use the garage for contractors to reduce the nuisance of parking passes. When the current rehab is finished, I'll put my car in the garage.
November 24, 2013 at 10:12am     
michaellim
We park our cars in garage because our driveway has a slope to it and makes opening/closing car doors difficult when parked in driveway. We also enjoy not getting rained on during rainy days and not having to squeegee morning dew from car windows.
November 24, 2013 at 10:15am     
dianachristine
If we ever have so much stuff in our (5 car) garage, that we cannot park our two cars, then we are in BIG trouble!
November 24, 2013 at 10:55am     
gramcookie10
We have a 2 story 2 bay garage where we park 3 cars. My husband's sports car is on a lift and is parked above my car. The remaining upstairs area is used for storage.
November 24, 2013 at 1:11pm     
leeni123
The first thing people did 20, 30 years ago when they came home was open the garage door and PUT THE CAR AWAY! Not anymore. The young couples on both sides have so many large toys there is no room for the cars and the cars stay out all year long How times have changed.
November 24, 2013 at 1:11pm     
abbyjean
Just this weekend it was cold enough to have to scrape car windows and I was soooo happy to have the car parked in the garage and avoid that part of winter weather.
November 24, 2013 at 1:14pm     
Faye
We park in the garage. I don't like junky garages! We built our house in 2006. My current house had sold, so we had to rent an apartment for six months until our house was finished. In that time we had a really bad hail storm that damaged my car! I live in the south, not that unusual! Love my garage!
November 24, 2013 at 1:26pm     
Laura Benjamin
We have space for one car in a basement garage, but that room is basically two cars wide so there's lots of room for shop, storage, mowers, motorcycle and snowblower in there. Usually my little Subaru is housed in the garage because I'm the one who has to go to work. However, we can get the pickup all the way in, close the door, and still have room to get around it to work on things. Once we got a '70s Lincoln Continental shoehorned in but then could only get to the driver's side by climbing over the trunk.

If we ever get another house up here I want at least 2 bays.
November 24, 2013 at 2:14pm   
imweb01
outside and currently renovating our house and taking part of the garage inside the house!
November 24, 2013 at 3:32pm   
nazzopardi78
We park the people mover in the double garage and sometimes the camping gear etc is packed away so the hubbies car can come in too. Our laundry is located in the garage too.
November 24, 2013 at 6:27pm   
okdokegal
Previous house that garage was so 'corners shaved' that the hatchback was the only thing that would fit in it lengthwise (so our other three vehicles would not fit at all) and you could only park two in it (claimed it was a 2 car garage) if you could climb out the back as you were not going through the car doors.

Here stall and a half garage is full of stained glass, drywall, an ATV that wasn't running when we got it and might not ever, two freezers and the regenerative pump for the pond air, and some stuff in rafters I can't identify. The "house" we bought next door, both stalls are full of small engine stuff and his small tractor; my shop across street is full of plants, tools, (wood and mechanics), my stained glass tools, his fancy fish that need to winter... and two vehicles sit outside, two are in carport, and the panel truck is now a directional landmark in town it's sat there so long. I still need an attic, a basement and a bonfire to catch up with storage needs.

I say for each vehicle you want to park in a garage you need four stalls. One for tools, one for yard stuff, one for storage and the freezer, and one for the car. If you want to park two cars inside you need 8 stalls...
November 24, 2013 at 9:09pm     
Diane Fairbanks
After I moved this spring, my SMALL one-car garage was filled with boxes and the makings of bookshelves. After I got the boxes unpacked and put away, and moved the shelving project to the basement's family room where the shelves will be installed, I was able to park--just barely--in my new garage. It is a tight fit, but since my driveway is rather steep and narrow, it is safer for me! Here in the Midwest, we can have temps of 70 degrees one day, and snow flurries the next, so a garage to park in is SO handy!
November 24, 2013 at 9:13pm     
celtickathy
Actually, we use our 2.5 car garage for cars in the winter and workshop the rest of the year. Creative storage and use of the attic above the garage also help us keep seasonal items from cluttering up the space. Bicycles hang above the cars.
November 24, 2013 at 9:29pm   
tader
Where's the spot for parking trucks in the pole barn?
November 24, 2013 at 10:26pm     
anibanani5453
Unfortunately we cannot park our newer car in garage. It was build in 1920, is small and because it is offset from driveway, we have to drive in at an angle so it doesn't fit. If we could drive in straight, it might work (but I might sheer off the side mirrors in the process.) But it does come in handy for storage.
November 25, 2013 at 4:36am   
wncchip
Always park the car in the garage. Waited too long for an attached 2 car garage to not use it for it's intended purpose. !/2 is used for the lawn toys, tractor, spreader, dethatcher and work bench.
November 25, 2013 at 6:05am   
Michael Lee, Inc
warm heated garage
November 25, 2013 at 6:07am   
nettje11
Right now: outside. Only because we live in a small rental and don't have the room while we're building our new place. Once in our new place, inside. We've built it bigger to accommodate our sports equipment and our cars.
November 25, 2013 at 9:32am   
Judy
I always park my car in my 1 car garage, as a woman living alone I feel it's the safest thing for me and my car plus I just dislike seeing cars parked on the street.
November 25, 2013 at 1:30pm     
gypsyrose17
Need to get a opener for the garage door...after almost 6 years in home it is almost to top of my to do list...we just press the button inside the garage to open and close it. Right now have the Halloween decorations boxed back up and ready to put back on shelves when I take Xmas boxes down ... also have to finish pruning the trees and winterizing plants and outside faucets, clean gutters again when rest of leaves fall, so ladder, etc.. is all out. After that is done I bring in the patio cushions, etc. and store them...then I put everything away and can finally get car back in garage...maybe:)
November 25, 2013 at 2:36pm     
paulac67
I have a two car garage with one small car so I park on one half of it. The other half has wheelbarrow and lawnmower, outdoor furniture in winter, a bike, trash cans and shelving for my son's large collection of woodworking tools. He doesn't live here - I just store his stuff.
November 25, 2013 at 5:54pm   
Fiddi Cat
When we were buying a crossover SUV, we test drove our choice home to verify it would fit our garage. It had to fit next to our older car, and fit in lengthwise. We scrutinized car dimensions while we considered models. It was very important to me to have both cars fit in our garage. It was a requirement when we searched for this house a few years ago.
November 25, 2013 at 6:21pm     
roosterdavis
No, I set up an outdoor theater for the kids in mine.
November 25, 2013 at 7:44pm     
reggiesmall
We bought our house BECAUSE of the garage it had and that it had enough land for us to build a second garage.

Thank G-d!

I always feel so bad when I see people shoveling their cars out. Especially once the city plows plowed them in but good!
November 25, 2013 at 8:18pm     
rosecafe
On the shelf in the mancave : )
November 25, 2013 at 11:31pm     
Helena Bryan
We have a two car garage and we actually use both for our two cars
November 26, 2013 at 4:44pm     
Brenda
yep. both cars. every night.
November 26, 2013 at 5:09pm     
kaffien
Ours is called a store-arge! No room in a rental for storage!
December 2, 2013 at 12:30am     
sandra1942
Our next door neighbor has two four-car garages and leaves both cars in the driveway (against CC&Rs). I guess rules agreed to when you purchase don't apply to everyone?
December 2, 2013 at 2:33pm     
relady29
Absolutely yes! We have a three car garage- my car, hubby's truck and motorcycle fit on two car side along with extra fridge, hubby's Hot Wheel collection and plenty of storage shelves. The third bay houses my motorcycle, riding mower, tool boxes, etc. We park in garage every day rain or shine.
April 16, 2014 at 4:16pm   
sandra1942
Our development with CC&R's now has driveways that look like parking lots. We purchased here because of some of the rules. These are 3- and 4-car garages. This decreases your property value. If you can't park 2 cars and store your "stuff" in two 2-car garages, you have too much stuff! There are so many ways to store things (Home Depot) utilizing areas higher up.
April 16, 2014 at 5:35pm     
cabingirl13
Yes- both the car and truck we drive everyday go in the garage. We have 5 vehicles in total so the other 2 trucks get parked outside and the hubby has his other car parked in his shop....but they all seem to rotate in and out of the shop or other parking areas as used. We also store a few cords of wood in the garage and have a small chest freezer too- lots of sports equipment and gardening supplies are stored in there as well.
April 16, 2014 at 5:40pm   
trim
What color should the quarter-round molding be when...
Floors
Had a flood in my Fl. Condo and now need to get new...
Need help with art wall
Moved into our new home about 2 yrs ago; still haven't...
Trying to track down paint color!
Hi! My daughter would like to paint her room the color...