Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meghann_fraley

I need help with small living room decor

Meghann Fraley
10 years ago
I need help sprucing up the living room. It is extremely small, and the first thing people see when they visit. I was going for Tuscan or or old world charm but it's not working out. please help.

Comments (60)

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    10 years ago
    This is a nice warm-looking room.
    Budget Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Beautiful Wall Decals
    10 years ago
    Wall decals are a great way to decorate small spaces. They can really bring a room together, create a focal point, or just make the room 'pop' a bit more without taking up much needed floor space. Another bonus is that they are easy to install and won't damage your walls or peel any paint. A few of our designs are pictured here, but you can find (or customize) the perfect design for you at www.beautifulwalldecals.com
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would get a rug that is larger and one with a larger scale pattern. Take Creative Home's advice concerning the size. Take the shelf down and add the curtain panels on short rods as suggested by Madden and lower the clock and art on the wall in the living area and dining area. Despite the fact that your furniture is contemporary in style, you certainly CAN add things to give your home have a Tuscan or Old World flare. And you do not have to break the bank to do it! A new rug, brighter sofa pillows and a soft, textured throw over the back of the sofa will be a good start towards moving in the direction you want to take your design. Google Tuscan style and Old World Style to find specific ideas you want. Keep those in mind as you shop. If you get it home and it doesn't work - take it back. Please post more pictures as you go! Now, get started! Enjoy!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Wall decals! Great idea!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I just noticed the blank area above the pony wall. Maybe you could add a shelf or hang baskets there! With a shelf you could put jugs of different shapes and sizes and decorative plates in plate stands. That would be a great place to put a decal with a line from a poem too, for example. Have fun decorating!
  • Meghann Fraley
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I have been looking at rugs online and I'm having a problem with the scroll on the chairs and adding a patterned rug. What are your thoughts about the attached rug?
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I know it's hard, but think of your chair upholstery as neutral...won't clash with majority of what you might choose.
  • User
    10 years ago
    That is lovely! That would be a great start.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Your two chairs by the tv console look to be fairly neutral with a subtle design. Is that right?
  • Meghann Fraley
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, the chairs have a brown scroll like pattern on them.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Unless my ipad is goofy, it looks like your chairs would go with the rug just fine.
  • Meghann Fraley
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I kinda like this one too. What is you thoughts?
  • boozle
    10 years ago
    I like this rug better, more colors to work with if you ever want to change accessories.
  • User
    10 years ago
    That rug does have more colors to work with, just remember to stay with vibrant colors. Too small of a design in vibrant colors will look too busy. Keep the scale of the flowers in proportion to the size of your room :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Just a few ideas. This rug has a brown background that may work well with the brown scroll design on the chairs. But I do like the multicolor rug above also.
    Promise Area Rug · More Info

Flax Linen Drape · More Info

Threshold™ Quilted Cotton Decorative Pillow - Oblong product details page · More Info

Sylvan Coffee Table · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    I like the Promise area rug and the Sylvan Coffee table because I think both would fit in with your Tuscan/Old World theme, however if you add a coffee table your small area will be too crowded.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    What are the room dimensions?
  • Meghann Fraley
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much Madden! These ideas are exactly what I am looking for! I know I need to add color and this rug will look great!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I would remove small items from walls and over door. Add panels on each end extend rod out 5-6" use a print and color. Rug could use a print with color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add two small glass round 18" table as a coffee table. TJMax has great ideas. West elm sells a martini table, see on line. Or go a reclaimed wood look. Chairs not good by TV. Put on either side of sofa facing each other. Add a big palm to corner of TV wall and doors.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Get a longer and more like a buffet, for under TV. Should be 6ft or longer add color with old pots to one end. Group in 3 s.
  • User
    10 years ago
    travis, she has to work with the space she has........
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    To me it looks like there is enough room for a narrow coffee table and maybe a small end table to right of the couch as you are looking at it. You need to have about 18" to walk through around a coffee table. This is a smaller version of the other one. I think it's 20" wide.
    Elements Cross-design Grey Coffee Table | Overstock.com · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Search the box above under Photos for Tuscan and get some inspiration. As you see items in the pix that you have in your home, make a list. As you see items you need but don't have, make a second list. Then prioritize the items on the second list to fit your budget and start adding Tuscan things to your space every month. If you find that you really don't have much in the way of Tuscan furnishings and accessories, determine if you should stick with that idea or switch to a style you're more likely to accomplish with the items you have.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Meghann, while it is true that all of your furnishings will never be considered Tuscan/Old World, do not let that deter you from making changes that will bring you closer to your decorating goals and bring you pleasure! Enjoy making your own choices! Post pictures as you go!
  • User
    10 years ago
    deco, thank you for offering her encouragement!
  • PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    10 years ago
    Here some fabric ideas that might work for you.
  • PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    10 years ago
    a couple more
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    You didn't ask about the dining room (room where the Christmas tree is) but you might want to repeat the curtain panels on that room's window.
  • Meghann Fraley
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well I have been looking for the perfect rug the last few days in my budget, with no luck. We are having family in for Christmas, so I am thinking about just adding some bold print curtains ( maybe a floral print) and some throw pillows in a gold or dark yellow on the chairs and couch to spice it up for now. Does that sound ok?
  • kristylou
    10 years ago
    For a rug go to usarugs.com right now they are having a 70% off all rugs sale! I puttered today and put an $800 rug in my cart. It went to $200 something with the code on their site. It was real and they have a zillion styles and colors. Go look before you spend $ elsewhere. Oh and I am not a part of the site at all. I found it on Pinterest and want to share before their black friday promo goes away. Lots of ppl on houzz look for rugs so why not save $$$!! :(
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Your picture caught my eye because I have the same clock. IMO if a rug isn't in your budget now, I would be hesitant to purchase flowered curtains for a couple of reasons. One, there are the dining room curtains that are visually close, that they might not match with, and second, because a rug can be a big purchase for a room, that it might be harder to find one later to match flowered curtains.
    I think your room can be made cozier for the holidays with a few changes.
    1)As already mentioned move chairs in closer to couch. Right now they feel like they are pushed up against wall and not inviting to sit in.
    2)Lower the clock and artwork.
    3)If you keep shelf above doors, rearrange accessories. Right now, at least from the picture, it looks like the baskets are about to fall off sides.
    4)Bring in the color with pillows and throws, think gold, red, green, which tie in with Xmas also! Even Xmas pillow covers and accessories can bring in color.
    5) If you want to invest in one thing I would think coffee table. If that isn't in the budget either right now(its Christmas), Maybe a set of nesting tables. You could separate them when needed, and them tuck away when not.
    Here are some examples of pillows and someone suggested wall words. Something whimsical might be to add a Xmas saying on the wall above the pony wall.[houzz=
    Tuscan Scroll Print Pillow in Golden · More Info
    ]
    http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod20/dw/image/v2/AAID_PRD/on/demandware.static/Sites-pier1_us-Site/Sites-pier1_master/default/v1385514047226/images/2724312/2724312_12.jpg?sw=80&sh=80
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Meghann.................I have to agree with Marlene about the curtains. I think it's much easier to match curtains to a rug than it is to match a rug to curtains. If you wanted to do the curtains, I would pick something more neutral with maybe a band of color at the bottom. The rest of Marlene's advice is spot on. Love the pillows.
  • Meghann Fraley
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know the curtains are too high right now, and still need a new rug, but what do you think?
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Reclaimed could work into the mix. Here is an example.
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    They are too light. I had to look twice. Something with a pattern but find a rug first and start from there.
  • User
    10 years ago
    usarugs.com is still having that sale! It ends tonight. Glad to see you're still going forward with decorating in your style. :))
  • Meghann Fraley
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I realize I still need to add things, but it is Christmas time so my budget is small for extras.
  • mveasey
    10 years ago
    Remember Christmas is about family...don't fret over interiors, don't add more stress!
    I understand your idea of making it more Tuscan. The rug is a great idea. Both are really nice. The last one is a little more colourful and might hide dirt and stains better and you could do a little more colour wise with the green, etc.
    I would study some interiors you like. Tuscan is often with darker wood, wine tones and warm metals. You could add pillows and a throw to your leather couch. I would go some heavier curtains. Perhaps a velvet. You can get really nice ones at Target. If your rug is busy pattern wise, do a solid colour curtain. They could be a little higher than your trim or end with your trim. Your room is small, but you can add visual height.
    Do you use the doors to the deck lots? It looks a lot like a through way at the moment. With a rug and a slim bench as a coffeetable and potentially the chairs facing the doors, might give it a more intimate living room feel.
    You could add some same art next yo the TV and two large ferns underneath?
    Remember...Rome wasn't built in a day...take your time and look around. You will find some great pieces. Homegoods and Bombay, even Pier1 have some great items that would go with Tuscan style.
    It will come to you...
  • kristylou
    10 years ago
    the website for rugs is rugsusa.com not usarugs :)
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    I'm a DIYer, so what I would do is give those curtains a bath in some strong tea to darken them, and then sew a darker band on the bottom. If you don't sew, there is fusible hem tape. Just need an iron, really easy. They need to more of the chair cushions.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi Meghann.........I don't think your curtains are too high, I think they are too short. You want them high enough so that the door trim doesn't show through the curtain tabs or grommets. Adding a border is a great ides - it will give you a little extra length and add some color. I found this article online using fusible tape if you don't sew. All you need is an iron. Even though the curtains you chose are a little more sheer than I would have chosen, I think it already looks much better than the shelf over the door. Don't get too hung up on the Tuscan thing - just go for a warm, inviting space. http://decoratingcents.blogspot.com/2013/03/color-block-curtains.html
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Are those french doors that open in?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Here's one more idea for a coffee table. If the doors open in, something like these will stack into each other to make room when needed.
    Horchow · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    The curtains are great! They let a lot of light into the room. Take Marlene's and Madden's advice about the fusible tape! Look for ideas on the net about using the fusible tape with curtains to help choose the right fabric for this project. From my experience with fusible tape, if you make a booboo, iron over it again and you can seperate the two pieces. I imagine using a light weight neutral will be your best bet so it will go with your other furnishings. I still want to see some color :))
  • Meghann Fraley
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The new rug! It's still a work in progress so don't beat me up too bad lol!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Very pretty rug Meghann! My only suggestion is to move it so that it also under the sofa a bit too. I still think a border on the curtains would look great - you can pick a color from the rug - maybe a mid-tone brown. And I just noticed that you lowered your artwork! Looking good. What do you think?
  • PRO
    Old New House
    10 years ago
    Lowering the artwork just a few inches on either side of the doors may harness the room a bit more. A thin table long way running toward the door will help lengthen the feel. As opposed to one lamp in the corner, two matching end tables and smaller lamps may help balance the room. Sisal with an antique rug atop will look awesome - or even an accent rug in front of the doors.
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Very nice rug Meghann! Very similar to one I have under my DR table. Are the curtains darker, or is it just the picture?