Vintage encyclopedia pages
sondramartina
I found this 1950 encyclopedia (that used to belong to my moms best friend ) with most pages detached so I would like to put them in the frames and make a gallery wall in my living room. Pages are 9.5' x 13'. What kind of frame would you suggest?
saratogaswizzlestick
What is the style of your living room? Love these pages, that will make Great Wall art.
November 22, 2013 at 7:03pm     
HERE Design and Architecture
They are nice graphics. I think I would like a natural maple or a white lacquer rectilinear frame.
November 22, 2013 at 7:05pm     
Those are great, sondramartina. I think a light wood frame would look great, but also would use a natural linen mat, closer to the color of the page edges.
November 22, 2013 at 7:11pm     
sondramartina
I hope I am not annoying posting my living room pic but here it is. I would replace big b&w art but I don't think 5 of these will be enough. I have more pages but different theme,animals,ships etc.
November 22, 2013 at 7:15pm     
Amy Cali
black
November 22, 2013 at 7:16pm     
Like this...
November 22, 2013 at 7:26pm        Thanked by sondramartina
Two rows of three would be about right.
November 22, 2013 at 7:28pm     
howellmsue
In your living room I would make the frames black, but very thin black ones so the grame doesn't overpower the image.
November 22, 2013 at 7:32pm     
howellmsue
*frame! not grame. :)
November 22, 2013 at 7:32pm     
nwduck
If you can afford it, and I almost think you should try, I would take these pages to a professional frame shop and do one big piece with all five. It's got the possibility to be a kind of heirloom piece. You could type up the story of your mom and her friend as origin and source, and attach to the back. It could be a really neat piece to pass on. Splitting them into single frames in a gallery won't be nearly as fun and impressive as if they are all done together. :)
November 22, 2013 at 7:36pm     
sondramartina
Groveraxle please try it with thin black frame.
November 22, 2013 at 7:53pm     
chookchook2
No curves or curls on the frame.
November 22, 2013 at 8:27pm   
Cat Rowe
Very thin frame of your colour choice, with a wide single mat. Use a thinner frame than the dog shows. With a wide mat , you want a thin frame. Example: 1 1/4 inch simple frame with a 4inch wide mat. Do the mat in off white so the colours in the maps pop. BEAUTIFUL find! Use a good frame shop. Worth the money to preserve these. Ask for " museum glass", this will protect them from sun or UV damage.
November 22, 2013 at 8:28pm      Thanked by sondramartina
Cat Rowe
Here is an example of one of my old book plates. Sorry for the reflection. It is night time here.
November 22, 2013 at 8:48pm   
Cat Rowe
Here are some examples of framed book plates that I purchased in the UK.
November 22, 2013 at 8:51pm   
sondramartina
Or like these two on the left?
November 22, 2013 at 8:53pm     
Cat Rowe
Yes! One of my favourites! Pottery Barn might also have frames with mats that you can use. Check their online catalog.
November 22, 2013 at 8:53pm     
nachoz
Don't you just miss encyclopedias...when everyone in school had the same report? Lol and card catalogs? And pay phones? Gosh I'm starting to feel old lol I can say I remember when cell phones didn't exist hahahaha I feel bad for the new generations. They are missing out on simplistic joys.
November 22, 2013 at 9:15pm   
nachoz
Also...I agree with the thin black frame advice
November 22, 2013 at 9:18pm   
touchadream
I would take them to Kinkos and have them blown up to a larger scale. This would make them into nice size statement art. I have successfully done this with antique maps in old books. Looks awesome!
November 22, 2013 at 9:23pm     
nwduck
I still have the Encyclopedia Brittanica set we bought as young parents, because our now 30+ year old son "would need them". Then my husband went to work for a computer company. I still remember the first laptop he brought home. I think it weighed about 25 pounds, but we thought it was pretty cool. The books look very pretty as decor in our library now, though. :)
November 22, 2013 at 9:23pm     
touchadream
If you have them enlarged, you can save the originals on the back of the frames, for authenticity...
November 22, 2013 at 9:24pm     
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
If you have the whole encyclopedia, have a framer use the pages with text to wrap the matting. This way you will also have the reference pages on display with the maps. Black frames always look crisp and uniform with a grouping of maps. Have fun with your project.
Charmean Neithart
November 23, 2013 at 4:40am     
saratogaswizzlestick
Thank you for posting your room picture. I would go with thin black frames as many others have suggested. I am so glad you have the vision to see the potential in those pages.
November 23, 2013 at 4:49am     
leelee
I love your idea. Think about leaving the irregular edges exposed to add to their charm by mounting them on top of the matting. Or you could place them between two pieces of glass with only a frame and no matting-floating frame
November 23, 2013 at 5:53am     
leelee
Black frames with your decor.
November 23, 2013 at 5:55am     
sondramartina
Great,thank you guys.
November 23, 2013 at 6:05am   
0825sam
Black or target has some that look like walnut that I used in my kitchen to frame some old letters we found in the walls. Walnut might add some warmth to the black and grey and picks up your mid century wood in the adjacent room. I don't see you have continued that into the living room.
November 23, 2013 at 6:15am     
0825sam
A close up of the frame I was taking about
November 23, 2013 at 6:16am     
Tirage Fine Art Gallery
We love framing vintage pieces. Regardless of the moulding selected, use archival mats and backing. This will protect the paper from any deterioration. Museum glass is also recommended.
November 23, 2013 at 11:35am        Thanked by sondramartina
Back Splash on unusual wall
I don't know if I should continue the stone behind...
Best way to mount a large map?!
Hello, I have a rather large map I would like to display,...
Decorating dining room...ideas please!
Need ideas and examples pics of items to finish decorating...
How to connect my balcony any deck?
Randomly, I have a small balcony off my sun room with...
Where to place kitchen table - or get a different shape table?
Hi - wondering if there is any better place I could...