Need help with roof and siding color, also what style house is this?
jj1nga
We are purchasing this house and having some renovations done at the time of purchase. Two of the main things we are having done is a new roof and the siding re-stained and repaired. We love this house but are not sure what style it is and would like to know so we can keep that in mind as we update it. Also would like help in selecting neutral (cedar) siding stain colors (porter paint) and roof color (architectural singles). This house sits in Middle Georgia on 18 acres. It is seclude some what but I want it to pop a little against the wooded yard but not seem out of place.
apple_pie_order
This house has a striking contemporary design. The curved-edge windows and roof style point to 1980's. Is that correct?

In the first photo, the light is coming from behind and the side of the house, so that it appears dark. I would use the architectural shingles in a light-to-medium mix of grays. Because the roof is 60% of the facade, bring out a lot of samples and choose carefully. You might want to staple some to a sheet of 4 by 8 plywood. to prop up against the house to help you make a decision. Test the siding stain or paint, too.

If you like the door, you can have it refinished. Use a much bigger floor mat at the entrance to stave off farm dust.

Paint the underside of the porch roof white or traditional sky blue to increase reflectivity. You might want to paint the porch pillars some other color that coordinates with the window frames.
0 Likes   Thanked by jj1nga    November 23, 2013 at 7:00AM
jj1nga
The current color is a green grey...it is a solid stain that was used...I have been tossing around the idea of a grey roof like you suggested but am then wondering about the siding color itself....I like grey and have considered a medium to dark warm grey or a fresh sage green ( not hunter green) for the siding....I don't want it to feel cold....I also would like to refinish the porch in a walnut wood tone instead of painted and the door the same color unless painting the pillars and porch all the same color would corrdinate better... the pillars currently match the window saches so i thought we might have to leave the pillars the same color so the window saches wouldn't be the only white on the house unless a possible dark color would be better for the pillars...what are your suggestions? And I never thought of painting the porch celing white that would deffinetly help!!!....
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 4:38AM
apple_pie_order
Any possibility of photos when the sun hits the front of the house?

Given your color preferences, you might look at medium brown shingles, too, as well as gray. Brown would be warmer.

Siding is not used much where I live in California. I have not used solid stains so Idon't know how much change you can get to what you have. Perhaps you could explain?

There are a few photoshop experts on Houzz. Groveraxle is one who comes to mind.
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 7:06AM
Landscapes Orlando Florida
I get a farmhouse colonial feel from the house- with some contemporary touches. My first instinct was medium brown roof with tan stain. Doing everything in brown to tan to cream shades would warm it up and you could do the columns in crisp pure white for contrast. The window surrounds could be in a color close to that for the house body to downplay their contempo feel. Picture flagstone or slate entry terrace set off with English cottage garden. Eliminating the hedges in front and adding the terrace and walk will mate the house with its environment and welcome the visitor and resident alike as they approach the house. The house I'm picturing will be chock full of charm and beauty.
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 8:13AM
Mansard roofs are tricky and especially here where it was added to a house without any french elements at all. Can we have a picture from the end so we can see how the roof works? I'd be tempted to pull the mansard back and up to a standard roof line in the front since you are replacing siding too it is the easiest time to tackle this. Gray roofs are the most flexible with colors, but if you have a mansard I do think that keeping it softer with an earth tone is wise. The windows around the front door mean that the highly 1920's oval entry door feels really out of sync, and it is the braces on the porch pillars that give that farmhouse feel - which is something to build on I think. If you keep the earth toned roof, I like the green a lot, but want a red front door / something for contrast.

To play with its funky style, what about going black and white? Charcoal roof, black siding, a new door in a fun / bright color - like sunshine yellow? If you need to work with what you have, and all you have is color, might as well enhance its "not quite apiece" ness with a funky color too - or try a dark blue and white like bm blueberry hill? Search houzz for black exteriors or navy exteriors and see if you like this funky trend. [houzz=Walk Around the Hood] Or look at this old world siding profile - [houzz=Buildings] to make it seem deliberately more rustic - love the natural shake shingles against the black siding there and here [houzz=Swedish Exterior] here is the easier sell - a strong blue [houzz=Exterior]

Going for some funky siding or shingle siding along with the roof might be the best way to let them sort of become indistinguishable from each other . . with a designers help, you might add an eyebrow to the roof over the front entry / add a bit more rustic / funky-ness - if you keep the mansard, taking the funky-ness further would be my best advice - see how they beefed up the white / wideness of the trim here? [houzz=Contemporary Michigan Farmhouse]
1 Like   November 25, 2013 at 8:25AM
Landscapes Orlando Florida
Agree that seeing the roof profile would help and the eyebrow window or a couple dormers would go in the direction of that second photo(with the caption "buildings") in your grouping above. Could even be a little cupola with weather vane to reinforce the look. I get that breaking up the roof with some feature (eyebrow, dormer) would make it seem less heavy.
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 9:25AM
Landscapes Orlando Florida
Also just had the idea that using leaded glass windows could abolish the biggest thing taking this house in the wrong direction.
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 9:37AM
jj1nga
Question for LEF...I like the brown to tan to cream then the pop of the stark white columns and then as earlier suggested porch roof to give some needed light reflection...you mentioned the window surrounds being more of the color of the house...the windows themselves are metal...can you paint them? ...the sashes are wooden...we had thought the sashes needed to stay the same color as the windows? and thought if the shashes are white then did we need white somewhere else like in the columns or is that not the case? I like the suggestion from libradesigneye of beefing up the window surrounds which we have thought about doing to add a wider boarder around the windows since we dont' have shutters....love the thought of flagstone, eliminating the hedges (which would open it up) and possibly carrying the steps all the way across OR adding a raling?? what would be better?...would taking the v shape off of the columns and having a more traditional column support help? and take away the farmhouse type suggestion that it gives since there is not many more farmhouseish features... and kind of clean it up a bit? The porch it self wooden color or painted, color? and the front door, i dont' want to replace it but should i paint it a pop color or stay in the brown tones...?

I do like the Contempary Michigan Farmhouse suggestion above from LDE but am afraid the dark grey would be too dark due to the low roof what do you think?

I will take a photo of the house with light in the front and I will take a photo of the side of the house so you can see the roof line, it may be a day or so, so please check back.

I don't understand teh last comment though about the windows....
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 10:19AM
jj1nga
Traditional Exterior by Minneapolis Architects & Designers Kieran J. Liebl, Royal Oaks Design, Inc. MN
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 10:24AM
Landscapes Orlando Florida
There are great pictures of dormers and eyebrow windows (which are a type of dormer) under both of those headings on a houzz search. A pop of color at the door would be good.

If you put up a railing, let it be at the end of the terrace so the terrace and front porch are one. With todays technology and the right primer, painting metal not a problem. Farmhouse might sound too pedestrian but if you think cottage in the country for a member of the gentry you can work on the house with it's present conformation. What we are trying to do here is give the place some architectural definition. I think country cottage works best with that roof and maybe the setting on acreage. If you want to make it more of a colonial, I believe it's a harder transformation.
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 10:39AM
jj1nga
I have a couple of pics in my idea book of colors of exteriors like you suggesed can you see my ideabook?
0 Likes   November 25, 2013 at 10:44AM
Landscapes Orlando Florida
Looked at the pics and the ones that corresponded most to what I was thinking were the John Lively Hill country (Dallas) for overall look and color. Also think the colors in the picture next to it of Guida Residence in Charleston were very pleasing. The house I see yours becoming would look great if when you came inside, the kitchen looked like that in the Karuth home. That is just such a naturally evolved look. It seems like a three hundred year old house that has just grown and been given all the modern conveniences. Timeless, gracious , elegant and comfortable. Those are four things when tied together that are pretty hard to beat.
What I think you have is a sort of Dutch Gambrel (check houzz and google images and Wikipedia) sans windows. As mentioned previously, if you add those, and put some architectural shingles that give the cedar shake look, you will have the makings of a classic Brittany or Flemish or English or American Colonial farmhouse. Also notice on the John Lively Hill country house how the old style windows add charm. I'm really excited for you- I think you could transform a 19 seventies/eighties half idea into a whole one and add a ton of value without a ton of work.
After seeing your ideabook I am sure of this direction for you. I see lots of images pointing to this style.The warm traditional rustic look should win out over the colder semi-contemporary grey one you are toying with.
1 Like   Thanked by jj1nga    November 25, 2013 at 5:47PM
What about a red barn type exterior color on your new siding? Let's take the rustic elements that Laurence and I can see predominate and bump it up . . . if they rework the corners on the gambrel to have a dutch edge- they can do that with the framing you have now but with special cuts on the roof so all the square mansard corners have a bit of the dutch corner - your cornered windows would seem natural . . .

That would sort of pull all of it together .. . . then the angled supports on the posts and the added porch and the funky roof would all sort of make sense as if it was a barn that got added onto . . .[houzz=Birdseye Design] this heads in the rustic direction but gives you a full vernacular and makes sense of the windows with the corners cut out . . the entire upper story / "dormer" windows could be all white / white fatter trim like [houzz=Barn Studio and Loft]
You could even replace the roof with a galvinized metal roof for even more rustic charm . . [houzz=Vermont Cottage]
The more I looked at red "barn" houses, the more I itched to put metal roofing on your house, and change all the siding to shake shingle siding . . . . painted red . .
Imagine the whole house red except - the area below the big eyebrow arch the big entry rectangle all stained brown-gray like weathered wood in a vertical siding for just that area with a beautiful forest green painted front door with white trim and the upper windows all fat trim and even white siding to the bottom of the aligned trim line/roof line to the right where there isn't a natural base) Roof in natural galvinized metal ribs and then red shake shingle siding everywhere else . . .
1 Like   November 26, 2013 at 12:29AM
jj1nga
As promised I have added some pics In my Hill Manning House Ideas Ideabook...of the roof line and these pics were taken during the morning. This house sits due north so the front side doesn't get a lot of direct sun...most of the sun comes in on the back of the house. You can see the roof line and angles better from these pics. There is an image added from using a color visualizer to try to capture the brown tones we were discussing using. While i like the red a lot our contract first asked us if we were using neutral or wanted neutral tones so we need to stick with neutral tones for budget purposes. So now that you can see all angles and see a sample of coloring are we still on the right track. Keep in mind the shrubs are going to be removed and the front steps taken all the way across the front of the house....Also the roof we are leaning toward a black roof because the brown we had to choose from had a lot of copper and terracotta and seemed to blend with the house instead of contrasting like a dark brown would. So we are leaning more toward black than grey....thoughts? I tried a red door and it seemed not to go well but a willing to try a pop of color...but like the dark wood tone i picked for door and porch...the back deck would be the same color as the front deck...also not the eves and are painted a cream to go with posts and lighten....Any other suggestions OR are we going really wrong in an area?
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 6:51AM
apple_pie_order
Whoa, that profile is completely different than what I was expecting. A black roof is really going to absorb heat from sunlight in Georgia. The roof takes up two thirds of the front facade. What do you think of a (mostly) black house?
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:31AM
jj1nga
mostly brown would be better we were just affraid the type of brown shingles we have to choose from would blend too much...they would be the Lowes desert tan shingles....
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 4:17AM
apple_pie_order
What is limiting your choice of colors to Lowes desert tan or the black above? Most of your ideabook photos look like you prefer medium to light tones over very dark tones.
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 6:36AM
jj1nga
we do have a budget so there are four shingles to choose from at Lowes...desert tan, black onyx, estate grey and driftwood...the driftwood is curretnly on the house
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 9:25AM
jj1nga
LEF what do you think about the last two posts I have made? And the pics fromt the color visualizer?
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 4:15AM
Landscapes Orlando Florida
I think you should go with a lighter roof color- too dark. Doing different shades of tans and browns can look great, relaxing, and I think downplaying the mass of the roof works better than focusing on the contrast. Fear that "black" is taking you in wrong direction. The fact that you said one of the sample types has a little terra cotta and copper sounds intriguing and might point to some accent ideas. Blues might work as further accent colors.
0 Likes   Thanked by jj1nga    December 4, 2013 at 10:06AM
jj1nga
Desert Tan it is ....lighter sandy brown....we had to have the color nailed down by today..I will post pics when it is doen on Christmas Eve...stain color for the siding is still in the works.
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 9:25AM
jj1nga
Here is an update for the three of you that helped me make decisions on roof andhouse and porch color....attached is the pic with most of the shrubs and hedges gone we kept a few. How did we do?
1 Like   July 23, 2014 at 12:49PM
apple_pie_order
Beautiful. Love all three colors- roof, trim, siding.
0 Likes   Thanked by jj1nga    July 23, 2014 at 3:33PM
jj1nga
Any comments from Landscapes Orlando Fl or libradesigneye?
0 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 4:37AM
Front Porch without Character
We have an enclosed porch attached to our 1900 Colonial...
Need help room that serves as a sitting area and dinning room
I've had 3 different designers (not from houzz) that...
Help -blank slate for a kitchen...almost
We have inherited a large group of cabinets but don't...
Chandelier Sizing
I have a 10ft wide round entryway that is very dark....
Breakfast area needs a new look
I am shopping for new furniture for my kitchen dining...