Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Help with island lighting - size and number of fixtures

sixkeys
10 years ago
My island will be 7 feet long. I am trying to pick between these two lights. The smaller one is 7" and the larger one is 12.5". Should I do....

Three small*
Three large
Two small
Two large*

*leaning towards these options

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• studio3600
    10 years ago
    If you get three small will they propositional to the room size? If so I will vote 3. Cool light.
    sixkeys thanked studio3600
  • Barbie
    10 years ago
    I would choose 3 of the first choice.
    sixkeys thanked Barbie
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    10 years ago
    The rule of 3's is preferable assuming the scale of the fixtures work with the space. That being said, (3) 7-9" pendants would probably look best with what you have. Here is an article that may offer some additional insight. There is also a formula near the bottom of the comments to help determine pendant size and quantity.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-islands-pendant-lights-done-right-stsetivw-vs~158689
  • cowgirl26
    10 years ago
    Wagon wheel chandelier
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone! Here is the overall floor plan to give a scope of the room size and layout. The "length" is 33.5' and the "height" is 17'. The rest of the lighting will be recessed can lights.
  • Carol McGilvery
    10 years ago
    Three small lights
    sixkeys thanked Carol McGilvery
  • Nicole Luther
    10 years ago
    We are remodeling the kitchen and have a 3x7 island. I was going to have 3 similarl style 7" pendants vs 2 of the bigger ones *until* I realized that the smaller pendants that I had chosen used chandelier bulbs. I didn't feel that would be adequate light for the work space. We are still in the midst of construction and neither the lights or the island are installed so I can't speak of how happy I am with the decision to have 2 bigger lights.
    sixkeys thanked Nicole Luther
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    That is a very valid point and had not seen pendants in this style with candelabra bulbs: Both of these similar styles, for example, use 100W Medium Base bulbs:
    Adjustable Pendant Lighting · More Info
    Restoration 8" Mini-Pendant · More Info

- which (2) fixtures did you end up getting?
    sixkeys thanked Whispar Design
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Those adjustable pendants are really cool!

Nicole - thanks for brining that up. I checked and the smaller pendants take a 60W, the larger ones take a 100W. So If I am doing 3 smaller ones, it will give me more light than 2 bigger ones.
  • PRO
    Daniel DeSantis Interiors
    10 years ago
    3 of the small.
    sixkeys thanked Daniel DeSantis Interiors
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    10 years ago
    I have client that might appreciate these fixtures! Could you give me some product info?
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Ironwood Builders RH Baby and Child, great price too! (look out for sales if there is time)
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Did you really mean 17' ceiling height? With such a large space and substantial island length and width, I would go with the three larger pendants. In my book, 12" pendants are not large as compared to 14"-16" particularly in this compact style. FYI... 3 smaller pendants (60 watts) do not provide more watts than 2 (100 watts) pendants :).
    sixkeys thanked Scott Design, Inc.
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Scott Design oops! Not only was my math wrong (long day?), but I wasn't very clear about those dimensions. The room dimensions are 33' by 17'. The ceiling height is 8.5 feet. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    10 years ago
    Hi Justine7700,

I recommend 2 in your layout. If you limit it to two, you can still have a chandelier (or other style pendant, or drum shade fixture) over the dining table. If you use 1 or 3, the table fixture will be directly in line with one of the pendants, which to me is not optimal, especially when the hood lights are on.

If you have wattage concerns look into using LED bulbs in lower maximum wattage fixtures- the conversion usually solves those issues.

Good luck with your fantastic open concept!
    sixkeys thanked Shannon Ggem Design
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of a hanging fixture over the table but in this open floor plan the table may not stay in the same location all the time and/or expand in a variety of directions. I like recessed lights that would identify this table area separately from the other lighting, remembering to keep all lights on dimmers.
    sixkeys thanked Scott Design, Inc.
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    While I do like that idea of a fixture at the table, I am not 100% sure that we are going to put one there (we also have a dining room planned). So to have flexibility with the space, we are sticking with pendant lights at the island and recessed can lights everywhere else.

Here is another view looking at the island. There will be three stools. Would two bigger fixtures look better since it will be on either side of the hood, or would the rule of 3s still win out?

Thank you!
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    10 years ago
    I am still feeling the 2, with the hood lights on it will make a nice lighting layout.
    sixkeys thanked Shannon Ggem Design
  • sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am leaning towards two bigger ones now. I feel it is a little unexpected, and I like that idea! Plus, then nothing will be covering the chimney style hood.

@charlottegirl Thanks for the suggestion! Is that your kitchen? It is one of my favorites here. What are the dimensions of your island and lights?